Posts by nickhod

Thought #1 : Fantastic, I'll grab it ASAP

Thought #2 : Why? Is WMR about to release a v2 hardware spec? Extra cameras?

Thought #3 : Am I bothered if they do upgrade the h/w spec? My Odyssey tracking is fine for simming

Thought #4 : Oh that's enough ruminating.....

Haha .. yep, the struggle is real.

I've come to the (probably temporary) conclusion that the Reverb is the best we'll get for simming for a while. Possibly until a "Rift 2" is released.

I'm prioritising a CPU upgrade so I hope that £514 deal is still available in January. :/

The Pimax 8KX looks interesting but:

- It's really expensive by the time you've bought lighthouse trackers and wands

- I tried their headsets at CES and it's about as comfortable as having a house brick on your face

- No card can run full 4k x2 @ 60-90 Hz, so you'd have to up sample anyway

I plan to order from a reseller - £80 cheaper & the pro version.

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/hewlett-packar…-.p1461184.html

Makes sense to try a reseller. Apparently, serial numbers after '931 / 932 / 933' are the fixed versions. Can always send it straight back if it's lower than that.

Just ordered a new GPU, then CPU next month, then hopefully try the Reverb in January.

Pretty expensive this flight simming malarkey!

Also just watched these two videos of a fellow VR sim geek, who rates the Reverb highly against the Rift S, specifically for seated simming.

Got me interested again. Hopefully Spit40 will let us know what he thinks of his Reverb when he gets it :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This becomes highly visible where default IPACS textures are poor.

For instance, my Caribic scenery (Petites Antilles) requested me to generate Level 7 too, otherwise Level 9 scenery pops up in the distance when flying GA from an island to the next one, even as low as 5'000ft (default IPACS textures are scattered with clouds).

That's interesting, thanks.

I take another look to see what I can do to generate level 7 output. As you say, it could just use level 9 areas as input.

There are so many different threads on this forum about AeroScenery that I'm sure you can't see them all. I made a post earlier today but it got sucked up into a previous post that I made a few weeks ago so I'm sure you would never see it. I am going to post it here and delete the other one.

Would it be possible to add Grid 7 to your outstanding AeroScenery program?

Unfortunately not. When I started Aeroscenery, I based the level 9 size on being near the size of a Ortho4XP grid square which I had used before.

Quite a lot of things in the app depend on that base size of level 9, and it would take some work to change that.

I know it's a few more clicks, but you can still select 16 level 9 squares at ZL15, build them with GeoConvert at level 9 only, and you'll have a large area, quickly created, without using much disk space.

I must admit I don't know the altitude cutoffs where Aerofly displays a certain level of scenery (i.e. at what point would it show the very basic default level 7 scenery over the level 9 scenery described above - if at all).

As I only fly GA I never reach it, or maybe it will always use a minimum of level 9 if available.

I noted that most add-on scenery includes a minimum of level 9.

I will take a look at the blank pixels in USGS scenery though. I thought that one was fixed.

If you have any questions or tests that you want me to run, I would be glad to help. It really is hard to make these VR HMD choices when we can't try them on. I bought mine from the HP store for $499 (the consumer version ) with the idea in mind that if it just didn't work well for me, I would send it back for a full refund. My previous HMD was an Odyssey+ so I had all the WMR software and knew how to best set it up.

Thanks for the review.

$499 is a great buy. We're paying $732 over here in the UK, so it makes the decision that bit harder.

I'm due to go to the USA in April on business so I'll keep my eye open for any deals then.

I've been trawling HP Reverb reviews. This one seems to sum up what a lot of others say

- Amazing resolution. Fixes SDE. Where all headsets need to be eventually.

- Pretty bad optics

- Very small sweet spot

- Not great tracking

I think I give up on my search for a perfect 2nd gen headset for now. (Until I change my mind). Talk about 1st world problems.

Just watched the video accompanying that review.

Some people in the comments are saying that the poor sweet spot might be due it being incorrectly positioned on his head.

The tracking and controller battery life might be fixable in software and firmware, so I'll keep an open mind until some more reviews are in.

I really did want to like this headset!

Oh dear... No good in dim light, light leak from flip up design and my guess is you'd lose FOV too. HP Reverb nudges ahead. The reviewer does speak highly of the Index sweet spot but I really don't want to invest in lighthouse tracking - we don't need it for flight sim.

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-review/

Sigh. I had high hopes for the Cosmos; sounded perfect on paper. 2 - 3 hours battery life for the controllers is terrible.

For me, it's probably between a HP Reverb and just waiting for something better. Valve Index is too expensive and I don't want to have to mount lighthouse base stations.

Are you creating a flight plan with waypoints in the 'Navigation' screen?

In the Cessna I just move my head a bit closer to the moving map, or zoom in with the control knob.

I find it easy enough to see if I'm following the green line of the planned route.

Hi, I seem to be getting this error on startup with both the MSI and ZIP version...

It's failing to create and open an SQL lite database in your Windows "My Documents\AeroScenery" folder.

Why that should be case, I'm not sure. Try running as Administrator to see if it's a permissions issue?

Delete anything already in "My Documents\AeroScenery".

(Use the zip version in the first post of this thread).

"D:\work" is where the source file was that the exception is generated from. (I should be catching and handling that exception with a more friendly error message).

Does the name of the map need to match the name of the bitmap?

I don't know how fussy the IPACS exporter is, but you see this in the example airports.

I've never used the diffuse / ambient amount controller as you have. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Do the ambient maps in the Kingman and Oceanside example airports work as you'd expect?