Posts by Asheroo

Have done my first flight: from Rotterdam to Amsterdam via The Hague. Absolutely incredible. The graphics, thick autogen and smooth performance make VFR so much more enjoyable than in P3D. It allows me to really appreciate all the detail. This makes me want to boot up the sim and just fly around the area. I plan on next doing a passenger jet flight from Zurich to Amsterdam.

I will admit one thing though (and I know Jeroen will go off on this one :P), but in the city areas with the denser building autogen I do get the occasional quick stutter. My settings are on Vulkan and full except shadows which are on the second highest.

You can't unfortunately. Some of us have asked IPACS if they can allow for the buttons to be assigned so we can do it. They've said they decided not to allow that due to compatibility with other VR controllers. To be honest, it's a bit of a killer for VR hands, so I have gone back to using my flight sim hardware.

Quite amazingly, when I ordered my Rift a year ago it only took a week for it to get from the Netherlands to Brisbane (where I live). In the same amount of time something else I ordered got delivered from Sydney, but that's Australia Post for you. :P I hope you enjoy it, VR is an incredible experience. One year on and I'm still loving every moment I spend in AFS2 with it.

Generic autogen buildings that at least have the kind of style/textures that part of the world contains is what I'd prefer with even just landclass textures, rather than straight up photorealism. I would have not bothered with AFS2 if not for the autogen possibilities. I really hope that all other DLC areas get this treatment at some stage. Orbx are supposed to be releasing Switzerland cultivation for free sometime soon.

Haha. I don't. I want Orbx to keep making scenery for all the different flight sim platforms. :) It's their thing. But at least the connection between them and IPACS seems very strong.

Flight sim news site FSElite has published an interview recently done with Orbx CEO John Venema. This is what he had to say when asked about AFS2 development...

"We work very closely with IPACS on projects and share tech between our companies all the time. There are obvious technical issues to solve as we introduce new systems into AFS2 but working so close with IPACS allows us to overcome those obstacles in good time. AFS2 has so much excess framerate bandwidth that adding new systems won’t diminish its performance as we move forward. We have TrueEarth Netherlands coming out for AFS2 in the next week or so, followed by the UK, Pacific Northwest, Germany and perhaps many more. We previewed Palm Springs airport at FSExpo in June running at 200fps on a laptop with full PeopleFlow2 support – What a sim! We have internal tools being coded in conjunction with IPACS and other contractors to allow us to rapidly build out airports and other aspects of terrain, so we are investing all the time to accelerate the development cycle for that sim. Vulkan will provide even more headroom for further tech to be added."

As well as some interesting info in that paragraph, there's the news that TE Netherlands will be released very soon. :)

Check out the full interview here - https://fselite.net/originals/fsel…bx-john-venema/

Hear hear! I just want to add that I am seriously impressed with the new anti-aliasing. I find in other flight sims it can be either too minimal or too smooth, but you guys have absolutely nailed it to my eyes. And of course there's everything else with the new update. Also I agree 100% with what Rob said, though of course I always look forward to what IPACS bring to the simulator and I'm sure the ATC will be excellent. (Fantasy scenario - imagine if TrueSky came to AFS2? It was stunning in FSW, and I don't think there's any way it'll ever come to P3D or XP due to the third party engines)

Yeah it takes some good guessing to get it right. Otherwise you could use a software like LittleNavMap to see where the STAR goes and what waypoints it may go over. Being too close to the mountains is no fun, especially if you don't want to see any pop-in. :P

What I tend to do is add the waypoints which line up to the runway to the flight plan. On the navigation map, if you click on the triangle down the bottom left it will display all the waypoints. I don't bother looking up charts, there's little point unless you want to be that exact.

Here's hoping ATC isn't too far away. With the recent plane improvements and upcoming Netherlands scenery, the desire for better IFR operations has become higher. :)

Dynamic lighting hasn't been implemented yet by the looks of it. That's what would bring street lights that shine and exterior aircraft lights. Hopefully the Vulkan update will mean that this can now be worked on. It would be particularly amazing to have dynamic lighting on street lights while maintaining high and smooth FPS.

I have noticed it previously with the A320, but even then it's not that noticeable unless you're going fast and closer to the ground. Otherwise I never see it, not at slower speeds on approach and not high above. Not a problem at all, I'm not planning to VFR with an A320 anytime soon. This kind of pop in is still incredibly superior to other sims.

Have just done a test with Vulkan and high AA. With a 1070 8GB, it definitely pushes the GPU. The new AA makes the environment look even more real, and yet the performance is still so stable and smooth. Also the night lights now look less fuzzy, more clear and defined. It all looks superb. Amazing work guys, keep it up! :) I hope with the new engine some more graphics improvements are on the way.

All the improvements to the planes are really cool too. I like how you are particularly pushing for more realism with the Q400 and A320. I'll have to give the A320 a good test to see all the improvements. The HUD in the Q400 is looking real nice. I'm looking really forward to when the FMS/CDUs are full-fledged for flight plans, but I am aware you've stated this will come after ATC arrives, which is a fair decision.

Also I really appreciate the improvements to the VR hands. :)I have been hoping you'd improve the accuracy and hit boxes. Will give it a good test later. I wish to express once again though - please consider allowing for assignments on the Oculus controllers, especially with those two main buttons. What's also still annoying me with VR hands is how difficult it is to set trim. In another sim with VR there's a feature where you can tweak knobs and stuff from a distance with your controller so you don't have to go right up to it. Otherwise buttons on the controllers assignable to it would help.

With Vsync on (as I need it on), I am noticing with it on there's still a little bit of screen tearing. In the old version there is absolutely none.