Posts by Interquad

I’m now really enjoying using the A320 managed mode, thanks to the wiki great tutorial. I have a few questions:

First, how is the Nav display able to fix a ‘top of descent’ position before you manually dial in the altitude you want to descend to?

Second, ocassionally I get a message on descent saying ‘more drag’, how do I create more drag as the spoilers don’t seem to deploy in mid flight?

Finally, do I engage the 2nd autopilot button before turning onto final approach or when I’m actually on final?

Thanks

Thank you for the tutorial. It was so well-written that by following it, I completed a fully automated Airbus flight without a single problem for the first time ever in 5 years of trying!

One question: in the real world, I assume an airliner can't fly exactly to its fight plan every time. So, what if I want to imagine ATC asks me to fly a different heading, speed or altitude; how do I use the autopilot to take back control from the automated flight mode so I can follow ATC instructions?

I thought all you had to do was 'pull' ALT, SPD or HDG the knob towards you to take control and then dialled in whatever speed or altitude you wanted but when I try this it seems the plane fights back as though it doesn't want to lose control and then everything goes wrong. Any tutorials planned for using the autopilot to follow ATC instructions?

The sim is getting better every day!

I want to control the A320’s speed the way I used to before the autopilot update (I don’t care if it’s realistic or not).

Since the update, the auto thrust comes on automatically and the autopilot defaults to managed mode, which may be more realistic but is utterly confusing for those of us who prefer simplicity over realism. I have tried disengaging auto thrust , reengaging it and right clicking the speed knob, but it keeps going back into managed mode or refuses to obey the speeds I set.

Before the update, I would advance the power levers to full power manually at take off, engage the auto thrust shortly after after take off, then right click the speed control knob, and simply dial in whatever speed I wanted; is it still possible to do this now or use a simpler way of controlling speed that doesn’t involve managed mode?

Thanks

Thank you for your response and grateful that, while increasing realism and complexity for the experts, you'll keep the limitation of beginners in mind as well in the design process. I now very much look forward to the arrival of the Q400.

Dear IPACS

I'm looking forward to the Dash 8 but worried it's going to be too complicated for a beginner or for people who are not remotely interested in, nor have time for, 'cold and dark' start ups and the like. I'm also worried you will copy across some of the Dash's complexity into other aircraft whether some of us want that or not.

I use AF2 and not the other simulators because of its beautiful scenery, simple interface, fluidity and easy to fly aircraft; I'm not a real pilot and never will be and don't want to spend hours working out how to start the engines and manually entering waypoints into a flight computer.

I know you designed this simulator for beginners and experts alike; so please try to keep both camps happy by building in a 'lite' option for those of us who prefer simplicity and aesthetics over hardcore realism.

AF2 has given me hours of pleasure, so thank you for that.