Posts by SamSam

I am not sure it was really a choice from LR to open source their scenery tools. AFAIR, they use libraries such as CGAL that are released under GPL, a contaminating licence, in their toolkit.

Opensourcing code geoconvert would also let anyone reverse the process and extract potentially expensive proprietary imagery. That might be a problem for third party payware developers. And their might be a lot of IP exposed in these tools. I would also be afraid of "custom builds".

Developers need high quality tools, and the best we can do today is report any reproducible bug with a set of files. I am not sure if this forum is the best place to track issues though...

So while I am a fervent advocate of open source, I am afraid it is not going to happen. Let's hope IPACS surprise us!

The dev manual explicitly says:

Aerofly FS 2 currently supports the maximum level of 15 which gives you roughly a resolution of 50cm per pixel.

There is a growing number of ortho-photos available in 20cm resolution, even Open Data ones. It is probably not practical for large areas, but around airports or POI, why not? I would not call that a must have feature, I am just curious.

Keep up the good work.

Sam

I second that to, it would be great if we could add a higher resolution DEM to our scenaries. The DEM is located in Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\scenery\elevationbut I guess will have to wait that a new tool is released to generate our own .tth files :).

Well I ended up giving it a try without success. Here is my recipe for binary dithering of the alpha channel with Gimp:

1. Import your source image/tile that need to blend with the low res textures.
    2. Add a layer mask with the option 'transfer layer's alpha channel'
    3. Copy and paste it as a new image,
    4. Change mode to indexed colors, B&W color (1 bit) with Floyd-Steinberg dithering
    5. Copy it and paste it back on the original layermask
    6. Anchor the selection
    7. Apply the layer mask

What are the values of the alpha channel pixels that are transparent?

On a side note, my 10 years old computer Intel Q6400 and GTX 460 runs pretty smooth while I usually get a slideshow (and got tired of it) with any of the Microsoft ESP based products. Awesome.

@Spit40, the way I fixed this issue is by duplicating the xrefs for my location, France.

in Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\scenery\xref, I copied xref_usa folder to a xref_france folder and renamed some files in this new folder :

• xref_usa.tmb to xref_france.tmb
    • xref_usa.tsc to xref_france.tsc

Finally I edited the .tsc file with

Code
    <[file][][]
      <[object][][]
        <[string8]   [name]      [xref_france]>
        <[tmvector2d][lonlat_min][-6.03002646177 41.0174294321]>
        <[tmvector2d][lonlat_max][9.67845957955    51.0842122254]>
      >
    >

where lonlat_min and lonlat_max values are the bounding box of France.

Now the question is if there is a way to make our own xrefs libraries (i.e. with local building)?

Thank you guys for your feedback on this question. Attached is an overview of my image, the tif file is and RGBA (32 bits) image and the alpha channel shade from 100% to 50% on the limit of the domain (for some reason GDAL did not use the full range of alpha). The bands that I get let me think that the alpha channel is not interpreted as I think it would.

Jeff, thank you for writing a tutorial! Glad to hear that alpha blending also works.

I think that the xrefs are localized. When I try to place a building from the xref it does not show up neither, but the log gives a hint that this building might be only available in the USA:

198.71-tmterrain_object: register xref 'xref_ch' -> lonlat_min(4.00,44.50) lonlat_max(12.00,48.00)

198.86-tmterrain_object: register xref 'xref_usa' -> lonlat_min(-125.00,24.00) lonlat_max(-50.00,50.00)

198.97-tmterrain_object: register xref 'xref_usa_airport' -> lonlat_min(-125.00,24.00) lonlat_max(-50.00,50.00)

That is my interpretation of the log, so should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Hi all,

I am playing with Geoconverter, trying to convert a set of Open Data orthophotos of a small island. I try to use an alpha channel in my source geotiff so that the island blends smoothly with the low res default textures. Geoconvert runs fine but I get the following in-sim result, with bands rather than a transparency scale. Is that a known issue or limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Ray,

First you need to select the area of the water body. This can be tricky because of the brown color which is close to land color. I would use a combination of Fuzzy select tool and Select by color tool. You can use the intersection of the two selections for instance.

Then, in the Colors menu, there is a Colorize option where Hue change the color. Be light handed with the saturation setting to get a realistic result.

Attached is a short experiment with your tile.

Hoping that helps,

Sam