Posts by frui

DOF Reality 2 Dof. Managed to get simtools to follow my joystick inputs, which was a mammoth task in itself. Very jerky movement though which I cannot seem to eliminate with filter settings. DCS World.

Funny but the image quality is very blurry through my 5K+,(AFS2) especially in the distance. Frames are smooth though. Runways are completely blurred until final descent. Running a i7 9700 5ghz. 1080. SSD built into mobo.

Sorry but an R22 does not cut it for me. I want something a little bigger. Chinook would be nice.

That's very hard to understand. Most users of flight sim are reporting good clarity with Pimax 5K+. What's your SteamVR and Pitool setting?

As users of flight sims are more likely to opt for Pimax for its better clarity and FOV, you might investigate more into these new generation of headsets which might have compatibility problems.

Once Pimax get's their SDK done in a cleaner way and fo we might consider their approach of rendering to VR. As of right now they are only targetting Unity or Unreal which Aerofly FS doesn't use. We have our own rendering engine.

But the 35% performance improvement you mention here, does not hold for Aerofly FS. Using a fast NVIDIA type card we are not pixel shader limited so we won't see that much of a performance benefit.

And to clarify it, Aerofly FS is fully compatible with Pimax, but we have not invested into any special VR optimizations for these VR glasses.

Yes I agree SDE and resolution are two things that are pushing people away from VR, but there is some progress. Pimax VR has better SDE and resolution than Odyssey to the effect that you can read all the instruments without any need to bend over for recognition. Definitely worth a try if you are unsatisfied with previous generation of VR headsets.

Yes... I have sold my Samsung Odyssey VR set after 2 weeks and I know there are lot of disappointed users. As long as there is no better VR headset that can produce at least HD on every eye without a screen door effect in Flight simulation I personally will stay on the good old 3DVision. Don't get me wrong... I was impressed with VR for flight simulation and as soon there is a good solution I will buy again a VR set. I have all the flightsims that are on the market today and the best experience for me was indeed in Aerofly and was for me the main reason for buying it but in 2D it's loosing my attention. What I wrote earlier, there are more and more flight simmers stepping aside from VR, Buying a big screen capable of 120Hz and go for the old Stereoscopic 3D. I see more and more people seeking on marketplaces for used 3DVision kits. For programmers it's not a hard deal to adapt also 3Dvision and I regret the decision of IPACS to not implementing it but hé, it's there choice and marketing roadmap.

Just my 2 cents...

I see. Thank you for the effort!

I wish. There's simply nothing adequate for the region. Imagery providers that provide Google Earth with imagery have price tags for licensed usage of their imagery that you'd have to choose if you prefer to buy a nice shiny new or a Lukla scenery if we'd be willing to license it for that. No one would buy Lukla, it would simply be incredibly expensive.

Not to mention that even the imagery used in Google Earth isn't of very good quality. There are lots of seams, cloud layers, fog, misaligned ridges... We removed most of that in our imagery manually.

Anyways: You should see the 10m/pix area shown on the map is a bonus area beyond the already very big core area. I could state in the feature list that forest areas have been upsampled to 2.5m/pix area everywhere but I feel that would be misleading.

Hi Sasa, thank you very much for the very attractive work! I wonder if you could offer higher resolution imagery than 10m? Or maybe 2 versions? I'd be willing to pay more for higher resolution, and I don't mind the size of download.

I have pimax 5k+ and I like them very much. We need pitool color saturation option and foveated rendering to improve. It would be great if FS2 aerofly could allow to run the flight simulator without parallel projections. The performance would be much better.

I also need more sceneries with better textures, water, traffic...

I can get over 70 fps in the most demanding scenery with everything maxed out except shadow, so it's very smooth. It will be also fine with weaker CPU and graphic card as the "Brainwarp" smart smoothing is coming very soon.

Pimax 5K+ is a significant improvement on Occulus Rift and Samsung Odyssey, especially for sims. All the instrument panels are readable with no need to lean forward, plus the big FOV.

It is especially suited for sims. The only problem is most sims have to struggle to different extent for FPS. But there is one exception. That is Aerofly FS 2! Oh my God that is built for the next generation headset!

I'm not convinced Pimax will give a significant improvement on my Occulus Rift until they release the 8k X.

From what I've read the 5k still has a signfiicant 'screen door' effect because the extra pixels are now spread over a larger area. The 8k has the same bandwidth as the 5k, and reduces the screen door effect by blurring the image. With those limitations neither of these products seem to justify the hefty price tag for the limited improvement they will give.

The 8k X will supposedly have full 8k bandwidth, so I think that is the one that will be worth upgrading to for me, although I fear it may mean a completely new PC as well :)

I suspect in the time it will take for the 8k X to appear one of the other manufacturers will have sorted themselves out with a high resolution headset at a better price than Pimax.... fingers crossed :D

Thank you so much for the work, but it is still too complicated for ordinary users as me. Wish there be simpler ways to improve upon the ORBX cultivation. Or maybe IPACS could give us an update...

Spring centring is essential for fixed wing aeroplane simulation of aerodynamic force on a joystick or yoke. Motorised smart spring based feedback would be ideal but we have to make do with what we have.

With the R-22 simulation we could do with much less spring force so using trim to unload the stick is trimming the user to hardware interface and is not removing authenticity from the simulation, it is in fact restoring the natural feel of the helicopter simulation. Increasing stick and pedal sensitivity also drives the control movement range towards the light spring force centre and provides a delicate and yet more positive control input.

Give trim and increased sensitivity a try. It sort of makes sense and it works well.

I see. Thanks!

I don't know why, but I can never make my Pimax work without turning base stations on. It's supposed to work without base stations as others have proved, but in my case it always shows "headset not detected". You also need at least one controller for Aerofly FS 2, as it often starts with the SteamVR dashboard on when you are in the cockpit, so you have to use the controller to turn it off.

frui With the idea of sitting still and not have to do much moving around while flying, could you test to see if the Pimax can run Aerofly without the tracking base stations? Perhaps just left and right head movements. I believe I will be getting my headset before the knuckles and base station 2 bundles come out. Knowing if I can temporarily avoid controller and base station purchase would help. I suppose anyone with a regular HTC VIVE could test this, but the Pimax might be different??

I am hesitating about trimming as I think it will make flying R22 less realistic as in reality it does not have this kind of trimming.

So maybe it would be better we first master it without trimming?

I just tried this and it really did seem to make take off and hovering a lot more stable.

It appears Trim is reset ever time you re-locate the aircraft and every time the aircraft resets after crash landing.

I don't see any Reset Trim option or display to show it's current value (apart from the cyclic visibly moving when trimming.)

For fixed wing craft, this is no problem as trimming seems safe and easy. The R22 is very sensitive, so it would be nice to paranoid reset trim manually.

Perhaps FS2's future is tied to the growth of VR? I only fly VR and i too can't put up with VR in any other sim. The Pimax 5k will soon be shipping in volume and though it works fine on FS2 we hear, i'm sure it will grind to a halt on legacy sim architectures. Outside of VR i just don't think the slick experience of FS2 is enoigh to pull people across from other sims in any volume. Fortunately VR growth from 2017 -> 2018 was a substantial % so lets hope that rate continues in 2019. If only IPACS had plans to grow their development capacity to respond.

I definitely think VR is the savior. Flight simmers are being converted to VR at a much higher rate than general gamers. We must give our opinions of FS2 to the sim community in a more active way.

No surprise, and no worries. As long as we could get more and better cultivations for the current DLC regions, we can be happy for enough time for Aerofly FS2 to shine bright enough to attract more users and more developers.