Posts by Paulish59

Over a decade ago now Microsoft came up with the short lived and much maligned “Microsoft Flight”. Whilst it had some redeeming features it did introduce some DLC “planes” without cockpits which could only be flown from the external view. This provoked a significant backlash from the simming community and the whole project folded soon afterwards. The idea of a decent cockpit without an external model is probably a much better one.

Yes-G-Force Experience.

The only other standard advice I see for running flight sims concerns Windows 10 Gaming settings. The advice is to switch Xbox Game Bar off and also Game Mode to Off.

I didn't realise you were running 4K and the GPU card is probably not as well optimised for this resolution. You could try a lower screen resolution to start with using high or ultra to see if you can get to +50FPS. Once there you could increase the res and see if this still gives you acceptable FPS levels. I am pleasantly surprised by what I have been able to wring from this GPU. It also supports VR very well.

I have recently installed the same GPU on my system with very good results for AFS4. I can use all Ultra settings and I get 60 FPS. I can suggest a couple of things to try. Firstly install NVDIA experience. Under the General Tab it will tell you whether your GPU is recognised along with all your other system attributes such as RAM. If it's not shown you could try and enter the BIOS on boot-up and re-save the settings. This action can force the system to recognise the new hardware. Also within the General Tab is a section marked "IMAGE SCALING". I found I got an FPS improvement when switched this "Off" and reduced sharpening to 0. (In effect allowing the application/NVIDIA Control Panel to manage this). I have also made some changes to the application settings managed by NVIDIA Control panel. I enclose some images:

I still think the Shadow is a worthy contender. Of the many hundreds built and flown there have been little if any serious accidents. It was even sold to a number of airforces.

There is a payware version available for x-plane

Jemma Simulations

This superb design came from renowned aviator and designer, David Cook. His book is worth a read and tells of the titanic struggles involved in successfully designing and producing a certified aircraft.

Flying from my Mind

I totally agree. I would really like to see a three axis machine such as the CFM Shadow.

The Shadow is a very successful two seat design with an exemplary safety record. The illustrious aviator, David Cook designed and produced the Shadow and many are still flying today, around the world.

CFM Shadow-Wikipedia

In the FS (1) there was that once - just like the winch and a motor glider.🤔

I don’t remember it being good for thermals specifically but it certainly showed rising and sinking air. It would be great if it was brought back as it was better in some ways than the equivalent offering in the other later sims. It was known as the wind field simulation.

I use a paid add-on to the Quest 2 called Virtual Desktop. This installs both on the Quest and the PC. It works well with SteamVR and it seems to perform better for me than the Oculus Link or Air Link. It has many in-Quest tweeks and settings available within the settings menus but it worked pretty well for me out of the box. It has other benefits such as a built in “sharpening” tool for example. It is also regularly updated and improved. My rig is fairly lowly with an I5 multi thread processor and an RTX 1070 however I get very smooth running with Aerofly FS. I occasionally try the Oculus Link and Air Link route to see if things have improved re my setup and they don’t seem to have.

My PC is some distance from my router so I have effectively got a wired connection through my home electrics using a TP-Link TL-PA7017P KIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit.

This worked great for me but I understand it might not be effective in some homes. I also use a Milano Tech Wi-Fi booster roughly half way between the router and wherever I am using the Quest. Without these two items the performance of any PC software in VR mode is somewhat degraded to the point where it is unusable.

For those that do not know, the very first version of Aerofly (Aerofly FS1) had a very acceptable “moving” water system. I have asked the question as to why this could not be incorporated in to AFS2 a number of times on this forum and have never received an answer. For me it was the one major negative aspect of AFS2 when it was released as a replacement for the first version. Assuming that the old system could be incorporated in to the later products then the only extra work required would be to digitise the water masks for all the additional scenery. I would be happy to volunteer to do this.

Hi Paul, more than happy to post the theory my brother and I have been working on for 12 months or so, still working on Part 2. It's a mere 20 MB and a 20 mins read, Ok, that's a lie, it's more than 20 mins but lots of pictures ;) Drop me a mail with your email and I'll send it to you. More people that read it the better, if you think it's rubbish then feel free to say so, can't be any worse than the gang are doing at present. Part 2 is proving our locations which I am working on, managed to find 20 plus thanks to Jerrs Ariel Photography, well worth a watch.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have sent a mail and I am even more intrigued!