Posts by Kloot

Hi all,

I am getting closer to bulk populating without the need for hand-placing buildings.

Below is an image of just residential buildings(300,00+), trees (bulk) + 4 apartment blocks (not part of real scenery) for testing only.

I promised I would make a tutorial, but at this stage that would be a waste of time.

A quick video can be found here: Canberra

Feedback is welcome :)

Hi Ed

When I first started using JOSM on what i thought was a reasonably small test area, there was an incredible clutter in the map and performance was so slow I could not tell what click the map was responding to.

The most important trick is to define filters so you can eliminate the extraneous detail.

Hi Stu,

I fully agree, you need to remove all the stuff AFS2 doesn't need.

Having a fast pc helps with JOSM, the OSM files can contain a lot info.

Cheers,

Paul

My impression from the feedback that users wrote so far is that VR is just awesome in Aerofly and that those users also tend to just enjoy flying and not so much clicking buttons in the cockpit. And then there are a lot of people that ask for more system depth, who want to program the FMS and talk to ATC to feel like a real world airline pilot. For these users (I'm one of them) it breaks the immersion when a system isn't modeled and from my point we should improve this area too. We still have a bit to go before we catch up with third party add ons but compared to the other default simulators it is certainly doable to bring Aerofly up to the same level. And on the other hand we're also keeping the people in mind who don't know how to operate a complex aircraft and we will make it easy for them to just hop into the aircraft and enjoy the scenery.

Well said Jet-Pack.

I should be around for another 20+ years (I hope) so take your time and get it right :thumbup:

I am glad you gave it a go. I have suggested the tool multiple times, but no one seemed interested.

The tool is brilliant, no openstreetmap account required (that way you don't accidentally save it to their servers) just save local.

Share some images of your work :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

if I knew more, I would tell it.

The topic is not about the parameter, but about the textures. Check the texture folder, another parameter would require another set of textures.

Unfortunately I don't know any user currently working at building textures.

Rodeo

Rodeo,

Do you have a list of allowed values e.g. industrial - residential - ????????????

Cheers,

Paul

Kloot,

Your scenery effort is certainly one of the best I have ever seen! I have downloaded JOSM and have already planted some trees as well as merged some osm files. I haven't yet tried creating houses/buildings and would appreciate a short list of josm concepts in order to do that quickly. It looks like you are getting good variation in the rooftops - is that something special in JOSM or ScenProc or does it just turn out that way? So if you have just a little time - not enough yet for a tutorial, just a few tips and techniques would be very helpful.

I have always favored photoreal in the past with FSX/P3D but even with third party pricey areas, they usually just do the city downtowns and sprinkle a little here and there - and usually have limited night lighting. The use of Openstreetmap with our toolsets (thanks for JOSM, Scenproc from Arno at fsdeveloper.com, and IPACS for supporting it at all) has provided the ability to generate scenery that is maybe better in some cases to what we could purchase even if it were available!

Dave W.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.

I will try to put something together this coming weekend.

- Paul

I'd be interested, if you have time - though I have plenty to be going on with at the moment with my UK Ordnance Survey cultivation. I did think of extending my UK scenery into northern France, however - or maybe even doing somewhere totally random, like New Zealand. I did a test area around Calais, and the OSM building density isn't too bad there - but the building and tree placement isn't as accurate as the UK Ordnance Survey (OS) and there are clearly wooded areas missing. (Unfortunately the aerial images were rather low res too.) I notice that there is a French equivalent (IGN) of the British OS, and that some of their data is in the form of SHP files - but I think it would take me quite a while to figure out how to use them!

Install JOSM , open a shape or OSM file and have a play with it.