Posts by mickatmian

Ok, thanks! I get much better performance from the Rift than from the Vive, although not quite as good as you are getting!

Strange as your computer specs are a little better than mine.

If i remember correctly you get better performance with OpenGL, where as Vulkan+AA is better for myself.

Still after 30+years using/upgrading a pc nothing surprises any more!

Mick

Wise words.

I never disable windows defender and also run Malwarebytes periodically to clean up, but have never thought to run it from a safe boot, but will in future.

Thanks

Mick

Back to the reason for this thread.

I have now had 4 days with the GTX 1080ti and I have to say I am well pleased.

It is now possible to run AFS 2 in VR using Vulcan with AA, and a render scale factor of 2.0 in all areas except New York where I need to drop RSF a couple of notches. Also I have set graphics quality shadows to insane which has minimal impact on frames but goes some way to reduce flickering.

Taking off from Chicago meigs (Orbx) in the Corsair, for me is, well I am really there, unbelievable, also the fast jets particularly the Aermacchi, aerobatics over Chicago fantastic.

Have waited over 30 years for this level of realism to arrive.

Started with an Atari 400 and tape drive (remember those)then Atari 800, progressed to pc with DX33 processor with 4mb of ram, wow was that fast................ have had almost every version of flight sim since those days.

Must have spent thousands to arrive at today!

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction, I guess I knew I wanted the GTX 1080ti just need a push, and thanks to IPACS for AFS2 and it's continued development.

Mick

Hope I helped you more than I confused you!

Far from confusing that is the information I needed to make my mind up.

Thank you for taking the time to post, much appreciated.

Today I found a EVGA GTX 1080ti black edition for a more reasonable price £660 so will now pushed the button!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Mick

I have a gtx970 with an i5, 16 gb ram and fly on SS1.3 with all graphics on High. Looks great to me.

In VR with Vulcan+AA?

I can do that with my 980 but in Orbx scenery I have frame judder, which for me at least is a quick way to motion sickness.

Having seen what Vulcan + AA can achieve (in some areas I can temporarily bump SS to i.8) I am reluctant to settle for less.

But thanks for your post.

I went from a 1080 to a 1080ti when I got a new computer, and to be honest I don't think it made ant difference. But as has been said, it can't hurt to get the Ti if you have the cash.

I do have the cash but would not like to waste it if there is little to no difference.

May I ask if you use VR and if so what SS, vulcan, AA settings you use.

Thanks

Mick

Thanks for all replies.

As Phil says gpu demands can only increase as more is added to the sim so I have almost made the decision to go with a 1080ti

(that's going to make a mess of this months pension).

Probably more sensible to wait for the 1180 but there is still a lot of speculation as to release date.

Personally I can not see it it being freely available before the end of the year at the earliest, and I was not blessed with the necessary patience for waiting.

Thank

Mick

As Title.

Just started with Oculus Rift VR, Wow what I have been missing. Completely blown away.

I avoided VR because of adverse comments regarding screen door, picture quality, etc.

Yes screen door is visible and picture quality could be better, but the immersion is so good, just wow!

I do however have a lot of shimmering/shadow flickering. Have tried all available settings and can run Vulcan with AA and render scale factor set to 1.2 but would like to increase rsf. From 1.2 to 2, so am wondering if a gtx 1080 would be sufficient or would it need a gtx 1080ti ?

My current pc spec: Asus Z170 motherboard, i7 6700k at stock for AFS2 16gb Corsair memory @ 3200htz, Nvidia gtx 980.

If anyone has updated from a gtx 980 to gtx1080 I would be most grateful to know if a res of 2 is achievable and any other advantage of a faster card for AFS2

I suppose I could spend the extra money and go for the 1080ti but not sure if it would be any advantage with AFS2. and I no longer use FSX, P3d or xp11

Thanks

Mick

Hi,

I had this problem with my CH throttles after an update in August last year. See link.

CH Throttle Problem

I used that work around up until the vr hands update when the throttles went haywire again.

After spending hours recalibrating etc I found a controller reset in windows control panel did the trick.

This worked for me on all aircraft tested so far: (windows 10) goto control panel/devices and printers/right click ch throttles/left click game controller settings/select ch throttles left click properties /click settings/reset to default. then test.

Hope this helps

Mick

Hi All,

I now have a fully working throttle unit.

I went into settings and reconfigured the axes, instead of placing the 2 problem throttles in the centre I put them just passed the detents and pressed for centre, voila all working properly again. No I don't understand it either, but who cares it works.

Back to practicing A320 landings.

Thanks Jan and Jeff.

Regards

Mick

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for listening.

The controller is installed with win 10 usb drivers.

In the settings menu the 4 leftmost controls work correctly ie a smooth action from - to + but the 2 rightmost controllers take almost full travel of the controller to the centre point ie half throttle then the last 1mm of travel it jumps to full throttle, very strange.

This is from the published list of changes/ improvements. Updated controls

Regards

Mick

Hi Jan,

Can you take another look at this thread please?

For information before the last update My CH throttle controller was working perfectly and although I have always used GA aircraft in the past, with Aerofly FS2 I spent time learning to hand land the Airbus A 320, mainly because of the easy landing configuration setup. After the update I was unable to accurately land the A320. I initially thought it was the changes to the autopilot but even with all AP buttons off I was still getting it wrong. Why?

Anyway it was the throttles (the two left levers of the six on the CH) that have no action from the centre position to full throttle until the last 1mm of travel, the four levers to the right work exactly as they should.

Please don't say check your calibration/setup, I have done that countless times, also I say again, the controller woks perfectly in my other sims.

As I said above I suspect something changed in the last update. The list of changes indicates the controls were updated. Can you check this please?

Thanks

Mick