Posts by larrylynx

Hi Heli fans

Just a quick update after a short break for a holiday, yes it was hell ;)8)

Now have all doors animated, most of the interior lighting done, still need to add extra lighting for the TANS (Tatical Air Navigation System) buttons to work with key presses. TANS will be a very big headache as its all lat and long based.. Oh yeah the best bit, we have working window wipers, multi speed ooohhh, just need some IPACS rain..:D. Corrected AC and DC gens magnetic indicators plus load_shedding.

Presently struggling with a rotor governor, when things go bad it climbs faster than a Saturn 5. Need to add some heading hold function plus an auto correct for collective pitch to tail pitch.

All in all, still lots more to do and I plod on

Steve

Hi Jan from sunny Madeira.

When I was using the monitoring tools tuning to local ADF did show correct frequency and a bearing readout in radians. ADF coding looked fine and gauge needle works ok with VOR and Localizer, ADF needle refuses to work until very close to station. From memory Q400 worked fine, unable to test until Saturday.

Steve

Morning Matt from a sunny Madeira 8)

In the graphics section the U/C leg is a rigidbodygraphics as its rotation is specified in the dynamics section. Anything along for the ride, like a scissor link has a [Graphics] line added with its parent named, ie UpperLeg or LowerLeg. If I remember rightly a hingedbody can't have a graphic line. The tm.log will soon tell you if its and I am wrong.:)

I would forget about using offset hinges for the moment just get it all to work, that way your not worrying about what angle to put into the hydraulic damper etc as its all along a single axis. Graphics will not go to the correct location you want eventually but they will at least all stay together just fold into the wings at 90 degrees rather that 30 and 5.5. Figures in the x0 should be 1 or less as Jan advised and no they are not radians, I believe its a multi universe matrix or something ;)

Try to use the correct location for the leg. Using the door location is great if they are co-located but will give problems if not, especially with offset hinges like yours as things will rotate about the wrong location. For a door it doesnt matter as it rotates along the line of the hinge but the leg doesnt in your case and if its a long way from the door hinge location it will effectively rotate around an arc

All this is from memory and I cant check things, being on holiday, yes its hell, so I may be wrong but I'm sure Master Jan will correct me

Steve

hi Matt

Could have given you a bum steer on axis, I assumed the f4u folded into the wing same as a spit but it looks like it folds backwards, so your axis may be correct after all.

I would still stick to 90 degree axis to check it all out.

In the code I gave above you will see there are 3 sets of axis which helps a lot to visualize.

Stick with it as the undercarriage is definitely the hardest bit

Here is Jan's matrix generator

https://www.aerofly-sim.de/download/downl…atrix-generator

Steve

Hi Matt

I'm no expert on this undercarriage stuff, ok on most of the rest, but first observations

oleo_pneumatic_damper...R0 and R1 Z values look to be reversed, R0 should be smaller than R1

JointLeftGearFuselage...axis (X0) seems to be pointing more forward than sideways, you are -1.0 0.5 0.0 (ish) should be more 0.0 1.0 0.0, maybe x and y figures reversed

Might be an idea to remove all the fancy axis numbers and just go with standard whole figures to check it all works. Perhaps these are making things rotate in ways you don't want them too.

Steve

Hi Matt

I'm afraid you get used to looking at TMD files in the end. It's much easier looking though your own TMD file as you know what the entries mean, looking through another file means a lot of searching and guess work at times, specially with geometry names. Your codes looks like it came from the F4U.

Sometimes you need the whole TMD to follow the path from first entry to last for a given object etc which is why I asked, your error may well be in the graphics section, even in the controls.tmd sometimes

I also tend to strip out the items I am working on into a separate file as it's much easier to find stuff when you just have those entries that refer to your object, without 6000 lines of code in the middle, eventually this get less but I still do it for something new. Normally I have the Controls...Dynamics and Graphics entries so I can follow the steps.

I'm away on hols for a week but plan to take the Lynx TMD for some night time reading, sad I know but necessary, so will look at yours too.

Steve

Hi Matt

If it's not top secret, might help if you post the TMD file, You can always send it via a PM if you would rather not post

Also, when you export, do you get a TM.log file in your intermediate folder. It should contain info like this which will help with axis

Steve

Emfrat...Travelled cattle class many times, I won't name the airline

Hi Nickhod

Which bit do you find awful, having a statue next to you or not having a pilots body you see from your seated position. My Starfighter had the option to remove the VR pilot so would be interested on your view. I just wish IPACS would make it easier to animate a pilot body you occupy

Steve

Just an update for all you heli fans out there.

She fly's, not well yet but she fly's. Bit of a handful at times. Rotor RPM drops off so I need to find a way to keep this more constant.

Able to perform a start in the correct manner. Lynx is a bit weird in that respect as we start in something called Accessory Drive (Acc Drive) and then eventually switch to Main Drive. Electrics and hydraulic packs are driven by the main gearbox accessory drive train (rotors not turning), left engine does this through Acc drive switch until main rotors are up to speed, at which point and following some rules we engage main drive and these packs are then driven by the main gearbox from either engine.

If I abuse the engines during start, ie accelerate too fast the sim reloads the heli, the real Lynx had a similar problem where the engines would surge so this is fairly accurate. Also simulated the Speed Select Lever (rotors go from 100% to 107% NR) and torque matching the engines

Electrics and fuel systems modelled with magnetic indicators to indicate flow pattern, just like the real thing.

All in all it's progressing, bit too slow at times but there isn't a lot to compare it too, of course Jetpack has been invaluable.

AFCS (Automated Flying Control System) next on the list, no idea how to do that one yet but all part of the fun.

Steve

Hi Mat

Remember insane angle in degrees and TMD uses Radiant

85 Degrees = 1.48353 rad

I use a free android app...Unit converter, does everything we need

Copy of Jan's units post

Vertical speed would be in m/s,

Altitude in meter,

Speed in m/s,

Ground speed in m/s,

Rotation speeds in rad/s

Rotation angle in rad,

Mass in kg,

Fuel in fuel_tank in kg,

All lengths in m,

Area in meter squared,

Pressures in Pascals,

Time in seconds,

Power in Watts,

Thrust in Newtons,

Voltage in Volts,

Amperage in Amps,

Resistance in Ohms,

Heading in rad measured from E going counter clockwise (mathematically positive direction),

Slowly working my way through forum posts, lots of stuff. Wondering if it should be a single zip file or as Nickhod suggest's we add to a wiki, unofficial one if needed. Perhaps guidance from our Jedi Master on this

Steve