Posts by larrylynx

I guess the short answer would be twice as much work. You want the long answer too.

It would not be a simple case of replacing a low poly switch with a high poly switch. Both switches would need to be fully modelled and then UV mapped. Simple enough for a single switch but imaging doing this for the pilots seat for example. Building an aircraft from scratch is already time consuming, I have so far been working for some 2 months and I can safely imagine another 6 or 7.

In theory I could build an aircraft with no exterior at all and use all those wasted polygons for more detail in the cockpit, which, let's face it, is where we all should fly from. Its a flight simulator not a fashion show. But, I think the user base might throw a few tantrums if I did. I used to build custom models for P3D hardware simulators which contained only parts of the aircraft that the pilot could see and a landing lights/taxi setup. In the case of the hardware Vulcan simulator, it was landing/taxi light and a refuel probe, everything else couldn't be seen.

Question to Master Kenobi. Why does everything in the cockpit look smaller than it should. For example, a 2 inch gauge looks more like a 1.25 inch gauge.

Thank you Master Kenobi...a million polygons mmmm all those lovely polygons. Perhaps a three legged stool for the pilot and copilot. I do remember sitting on one of those in the Concord flight deck, but that was a lifetime ago.

A well earned break from modelling, time to start the TMD in earnest.......Lots of questions incoming =O

Ah the magic of the delete and try again.....:/ always works for some reason, even in TMD coding:rolleyes:

Lynx Mk 7 is now up and if you think the Apache is sensitive its easy compared to the Lynx. The Lynx is a true cat, treat it harshly and it will scratch and bite your a**e

Both are more difficult due to the very early AFCS autopilot systems we were using in FS2. The sim has moved on but my coding hasn't and I'm not party to any updated coding at the moment.

It is also easier to fly helicopters in VR as you need that spatial awareness not available on a flat screen.

Hi all

Santa is a little busy so he asked me to upload the Mighty Lynx MK7 for you.8|

Lynx MK7 Is back - Flight-Sim.org
    Hi all Santa is a little busy so he asked me to upload the Mighty Lynx MK7 for you. Please don't complain its a pain to fly, I know, helicopters are just…
    flight-sim.org

Please don't complain its a pain to fly, I know, helicopters are just like that and if you think its that bad, then delete it, it was free after all. There is no easy hold my hand option with this one. It was also difficult to make it ready to jump in and start flying, it was never designed to be that way. I have got it as close as I can but you will have to wait 15 seconds or so for the rotor speed to catch up, it was either that or spin around on the spot. A Skid Friction value would help but there isn't one yet. It will give you time to set your radios, navigation aids etc. Do check the AFCS is engaged before you fly, all lights should be on except Bar Alt. It does have VOR and ADF. Tans now displays Lat/Long and hdg/dist for VOR or HDG for ADF (How accurately is another thing entirely just like the real one)

For those who want to experience what a pain the Lynx was to start, use the cold and dark setup. Read the manual on full start procedure. Some eng/rotor figures will not be the same as quoted in the manual as FS4 has changed somewhat since FS2.

Easier if you map throttles to hotas throttle pots if you have them like the X52. Also rotor brake to a slider, again like the X52. If you want Heading Hold and Bar Alt, these have been assigned to lights Taxi and Beacon (read the manual) as there are still no user assignable commands in FS4. Both Heading Hold and Bar Alt are not very accurate, the coding is very old and I'm not party to any new code for autopilot stuff. They are useable but you need to be gentle and keep an eye on them. Bit like the real thing.

Like the Apache it does use fuel so keep an eye on your tanks.

Any problems give Santa a shout as I'm closing down till the New Year. Hint. I think Santa resides in the IPACS forum not Flight-Sim.org

Steve

PS. Controls are lively (like the real thing) so don't say I didn't warn you||

HI Pascal, Thanks for the report.

The screen you are seeing is nothing more than a forward facing camera with a green tint, a cheat really. The squares will be sim related and nothing I could do to correct it. Hopefully a developer from IPACS may see this and explain some more.

Finally have the bare CH53E flying, feels like a heavy beast but tries to kill itself on landing, shakes really bad and quite often breaks the sim.. Lynx is proving to be a problem child, what worked now doesn't...:/

Steve

Converted my FS2 Apache to FS4, It's a WIP as FS4 changed quite a lot. Most things are simulated, fuel burn, engines, electrics, hydraulics, APU etc.

If starting cold and dark, you will need air to start an engine so its not a fault. Air sources are APU, External or an engine already started. APU start takes time so don't expect it on straight away, wait for 'rectifiers' lights to disappear and 'APU on' in the warning panel.

When starting ready to fly, do wait a few seconds for the rotors to spin up fully. I have only recently been given new engine and governor code which is a little complicated for my very old and tired brain. I am also working on getting the Lynx into FS4 (that will not have the new code as the Lynx is an awkward b*****d at the best of times as I modelled it too accurate)

Let me know of any issues and I will try to fix them, not guaranteed I can :/.

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index.php?entry-add/&categoryID=155

EDIT, You can use ADF or Tacan/VOR navigation but the knob is hidden so here is a little pic to help

Steve

The 3D files I used are the same ones I converted using the FS2 converter for FS2, as are the Lynx and CH53E, which is why I was confused. Lynx and CH53E textures all convert just the Apache being awkward. I put it down to Gremlins, Pesky little blighters. :rolleyes::rolleyes:... Anybody seen my Lightsaber=O

No errors reported using the FS2 TTX files.

Morning Jan

It was late at night and I forgot all about the TM.log, sorry Master.

Tm.log file shows missing textures. The textures are indeed in the intermediate folder but the convertor fails to do its magic on these files. I have transferred the missing files from FS2 into the FS4 version and things work fine. Question

Will the FS2 textures cause a problem within FS4?

Steve

If you can use a 3D modelling program (or willing to learn), you can build an FS4 aircraft, (one that uses steam gauges). It's as simple as that. Modern screen based aircraft are a little more of a problem but not unobtainable with some compromises.

Helicopters are more complicated but the TMD files are strictly kept secret so without IPACS say so, they are impossible to make as you need to earn their trust first.

I started with the F104G and lots of help from the one and only Master Obi Jan.

It can be done, it just takes time and a willingness to learn.

Steve

Ok thanks for that.

No need to covert the Lynx as I am progressing with it. There are a lot of moving graphics which are stacked on top of each other to give the appearance of magnetic indicators (Not that anyone notices) and each one requires some fiddling.

Steve