Posts by larrylynx

So will this editor be free ://///either of them

If IPACS want developers to publish aircraft they really need to support us. The modelling/texturing is fairly easy, my DH98 is progressing nicely, the rest is rocket science and will stop developers in their tracks

Steve

From looking at the example aircraft in the SDK am I right to assume no animation is carried out in the 3D modelling program, its all done in the TMD file.

If so, where do we get the pivots point information, is this from the 3D program or does the convertor do this for us

Thankfully I have never witnessed such an event but I have lost several friends through aviation accidents over the years. At a time like this we can only offer our thoughts to all those affected

Hi Antoine

Only thing I can suggest is to try a transparent PNG. There should be no alpha, simple do your painting on a layer and delete the background, thereby making it transparent.

Keen to see how you get on as it would be nice to include something like this in Leeds Bradford, though planting all those polys would be tedious.

Wondering if there is any way this could be done using cultivation

Steve

it would seem some have been removed but not others, all their own are still there surprise surprise

only way i found out was when i went looking for something else, not a good way to reward users who are prepared to put time and effort into making fs2 better

HI Ed

Thanks for the heads up, wonder how many people will know thats where they have to go, yet more and more agro with FS2.... SIGH

Its progressing is about all I can say, texturing takes an age and there is so much to add to make it look convincing ( airbridges, walkways, stand numbers etc)....and real life gets in the way, been assisting simulator building with a friend

Steve

So if it is to be a single engine egg whisk are there plans to allow multi engines.. Perhaps then some idiot who will have finished Leeds Bradford by that point may take up the challenge

I would also agree that building controls is not as difficult as you think. I have built numerous sim and if you break it down to small stages its quite easy.

A 3D printer is a great investment and they are pretty cheap these days

Steve

Its not strictly true to say small helicopters are more unstable. The major factor in stability is the type of rotor head fitted. Of course size does come into it but its not the major factor.

A rigid rotor head without a stabilization system is very unstable. if you take out the AFCS (automatic flight contol system) on a Lynx it handles very badly indeed and you are always chasing inputs.

In order of stability rotor heads are

Rigid

Semi rigid or semi articulated

Fully articulated

Here endeth the lesson according to Steve :)

a decal doesn't need to be just a white line...its a polygon with a texture on it, what ever texture you want...

How to do all the edges, cracks etc gets a little more of a problem because fs2 forces you to use a runway object for runway, aprons etc. You have to cheat and copy which bit of the runway meshes you want to add extra detail, UV map them individually then apply them as a decal, time consuming but do-able. Decals can be stacked so in theory you could apply 10. If you get a very detailed sat image it could be broken down into smaller 4K textures and applied to these meshes.

Something to also remember, FS2 is very VR friendly so adding lots of textures and objects will start to impact on this eventually.

Forget any realistic night lighting FS2 is very poor in this department, we don't even have aircraft landing lights

P3D/FSX are far more user friendly when it comes to making addons of every sort

Steve

Hi.. Objects are placed using the pivot point (3ds Max) or what ever is similar in ac3d/ sketchup etc. Always best to make sure it at zero in the vertical axis if you want that object to be on the FS2 ground plane

This is fine for small objects but for large objects or groups some of the edges/objects may appear to float because of sloping ground modelling in FS2.

Solution, break up large groups or for a single large object you may need to rotate it to align with FS2 ground plane, you can also move the verts beneath zero but this can cause things like doors to be slightly submerged.