Posts by qwerty42

This is from the wiki and based on my own tests it's a good recommendation to follow. I usually download very large regions with download resolution of 3 or 4, and convert that from levels 9 to 11. Then I refine smaller areas with download resolution of 1,0, or -1 (depending on how big it is and good I want it to look at close distances) and convert those from levels 12 thru 14 or 15. With most of the publicly available ortho images, you really hit diminishing returns if you go all the way to level 15, though.

Are you able to launch Oculus titles from Oculus home? That may give us an idea if it's something to do with the Oculus installation. Also did you install the recent Oculus patch to fix their expired cert for the runtime? It requires you to go to their website to download it.

Here's a new version that should fix the issue. The problem is actually FSET. When you use the C button, it copies according to the system format, but when you use the P button, it will only work if the decimal marks are periods instead of commas.

This new version of the Excel tool compensates for that issue and should work with it whether your system uses commas or periods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv3c…gridcoords_v1.6.xlsm?dl=1

Please test it and let me know you encounter any other problems!

It's FSET saying invalid. Fortunately, I could reproduce it. Screenshot is attached.

Kind regards, Michael

Can you check something for me? Can you draw a rectangle somewhere in FSET (doesn't matter where), then click the "C" button to copy, and then paste the output in a reply here? I need to see if the commas get passed by FSET back to Excel also. It should look something like this:

#--- Partial FS Earth Tiles ini datas ---

[FSEarthTiles]

AreaDefinitionMode = 2Points

NorthWestCornerLatitude = 49deg 50min 16.74sec north

NorthWestCornerLongitude = 7deg 48min 0sec east

SouthEastLatitude = 41deg 14min 41.18sec north

SouthEastLongitude = 22deg 12min 50.63sec east

WorkingFolder = C:\fset\work

SceneryFolder = C:\fset\scene

Oh! I bet it's because of the comma used for the decimal mark rather than a period (e.g. 51,1055 vs. 51.1055). I wish the whole world could standardize on one or the other, and have the U.S. finally switch to the metric system too! I can probably fix it I think... check back in 20 minutes or so.

I am sorry to be nasty, but I get an Input Invalid with 1.5 of the Excel tool as well. I just followed the video, made a rough map around Germany in FSET, copied and pasted into the Excel sheet, choose level 10 copied using the orange button and pasted into FSET.

Any logfile or the like I can send?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, is it the Excel tool saying input invalid, or is it FSET? Can you send me a screenshot of both of them so I can see what the inputs are?

This current version appears to be running but there are no output scenery files to be found. duh.

Does the geoconvert window show the conversion happening and say it's finished? If so, one possibility is that you're converting with mask tiles disabled (a good thing to do), but your downloaded images don't fully cover the tile area you're trying to convert. In that case it will look like it's converting, but no output will be written.

If this is indeed the issue, see the thread in this forum 'Image Tile Coordinates'

Are you launching this from inside the Rift, in the Oculus home environment? If so, you can fix this by editing the manifest json file for AeroFly in the Oculus install directory. I have mine set-up so I can launch it from inside the Rift without any pop-ups or messages appearing (and using the Oculus build, not the SteamVR version). Let me know if you'd like help and I can tell you what to edit to make it work.

Edit -- I'm sorry, I should have read more carefully. I'm not sure why you're getting this in a loop and it's not going away when you click ok, can't say I've seen that behavior before. :/

Well this is embarrassing. Gooseno1 found one last bug with the paste functionality from FSET in the Excel tool. Very sorry for all the repeat downloads, but I have done a lot of tests on it and I'm 99% sure it's bugfree now. If you're using the excel tool please replace your version with v1.5 from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2ot…gridcoords_v1.5.xlsm?dl=1

I also made a video tutorial on how to use the Excel tool for anyone needing help or unsure how it works. You can find it in the original post here: Image tile coordinates

Ugh, I'm so sorry, looks like after I saved and moved the file, the way I tried to brute-force Excel into doing the pasting thing stopped working... fixing it now, will edit this when I find a different workaround and update it. All of the other stuff should work fine though. This is what I get for using Excel for this :D

Ok, fixed now. Sorry about that. There is apparently a bug in recent versions of Excel with how it handles the clipboard, where sometimes it doesn't want to release the clipboard when other programs try to copy to it ?( I changed the vba macro and as long as you're not just repeatedly copying and pasting back and forth between Excel and FSET without actually changing anything, it works correctly. New download link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sts…ridcoords_v1.45.xlsm?dl=1

Thanks - that's certainly an improvement. You guys are great. I'll defnitively try this.

Kind regards, Michael

Ugh, I'm so sorry, looks like after I saved and moved the file, the way I tried to brute-force Excel into doing the pasting thing stopped working... fixing it now, will edit this when I find a different workaround and update it. All of the other stuff should work fine though. This is what I get for using Excel for this :D

Thanks, just downloaded the corrected version.

Kind regards, Michael

You're welcome! Hope you find it useful. If you don't mind another download, I just added another feature to it -- a button that also lets you paste coordinates from FSET. Now you can easily go back and forth between both tools, and if you're lazy like me you don't have to type any coordinates at all. https://www.dropbox.com/s/utwt…gridcoords_v1.4.xlsm?dl=1

An example of how you might use it with the new button:

In FSET, draw a rectangle with the 'Draw' button around the area you're interested in. It doesn't have to be precise, just make sure the center of the rectangle is over the area you want. Then press the "C" button in FSET.

Go back to the Excel tool, and click the new orange button. This will automatically paste in the center coordinates of the rectangle you just drew in FSET.

Tell it how many more tiles you want in each direction, and what GeoConvert level you want the tiles to be sized for. Lastly click the big blue button, go back to FSET, and press "P".

Thanks for replying qwerty42, I was a bit hesitant with the Excel sheet, usually I prefer graphical tools, but your proposal sounds good.

Kind regards, Michael

Oops! I just compared the output of the Excel tool to vogel69's Google Earth tool and found a bug in mine. If you entered the "Ref Point" coordinate from the Google Earth grid, that's exactly at the intersection point of the grid, and it broke the logic in the math of the Excel tool.

It's fixed now, so if you're using the Excel tool please download v1.3 at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc8l…gridcoords_v1.3.xlsm?dl=1 I updated my original post with the new link too.

Thanks for replying qwerty42, I was a bit hesitant with the Excel sheet, usually I prefer graphical tools, but your proposal sounds good.

Kind regards, Michael

Me too :) But this one is simple. All you have to do is put in the latitude/longitude for any point inside your 'base tile', then enter how many additional tiles you want in each direction, then click the blue button. Go to FSET, click P. Done.

I see. You make several different grids using the Grid tool and process them with different resolutions in FSET. This makes sense, I'll try it.

But you have to select the small squares one by one, I think.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Not sure if this is the solution you are looking for, but if you use the Excel file I posted in this thread, you can add additional tiles in any direction to your base tile, click the blue button once to copy, and then paste directly into FSET with the P button. I think using both of these tools together can be useful for certain workflows.

Their imagery is coming from the Virtual Earth servers. In some places it's better than Google, in some places it's a lot worse. You can use it in FSET if you have it in your .ini file:

Yes, it's easily done, but there are several rules you must follow.

1) When you run geoconvert, you should make sure it does not create masked images by disabling the option to do so. If the option is enabled, and if your ortho images don't have full coverage of one the tiles, it will create a partial image tile. It will also create a corresponding 'mask' tile which blocks out the rest of that region in the sim. If it didn't have the mask tiles, the areas that weren't fully covered would appear as black stripes. If it does have mask tiles, everything will look normal until you try to add adjacent scenery, in which case you'll always have a 'stripe' of the original default low-res photoscenery that the mask is revealing.

To make sure you don't generate mask tiles, you need to make sure in your .tmc file it has this line: <[bool] [write_images_with_mask][false]>

If you're using GeoConvert Helper instead of running geoconvert manually, there is an option under the tab "Advanced Tmc File Settings".

2) When you download your ortho images with FSET, you need to make sure the region you download fully includes the area to generate complete AeroFly tiles for whatever 'level' you're geoconverting. For example, if you want to generate level 9 tiles, each tile is VERY large and you need a big enough ortho-imaged region to complete them, without masks. This is where we were having difficulty before, because we didn't have an easy way to know the exact coordinates that define these regions, so we would blindly just download very large areas and hope we got full tiles for the areas we cared about. However, now we have two different tools that will find the exact coordinates for you, an Excel one I made and a Google Earth one that Vogel69 made:

Google Earth tool: Image tile coordinates

Excel tool: Image tile coordinates

3) Lastly, if you've already made scenery and did use image masks, you need to replace all of the tiles that were masked. You can identify them by their file names. If a tile is masked, you will have two files for it, for example:

map_09_8580_a700.ttc

map_09_8580_a700_mask.ttc

You can either find all of these and replace them individually (might be a nightmare if you have a lot), or just start over with one of the tools above to download your ortho images from FSET which fully include the regions and re-convert them without masks.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you download an area that is snapped to a certain geoconvert level, you can geoconvert all higher-numbered levels with that same area without any masks. For example, if you download an area that is sized for a level 12 tile, you can geoconvert levels 12, 13, 14, and 15 from that same area without creating masks.

My process is to download very large areas snapped to level 9 at low detail in FSET ('Download resolution' of 3 or 4), and then use that imagery to convert levels 9, 10, and 11.

Then I refine the areas where I want more detail by snapping to the level 12 tiles, and download those smaller regions in FSET with a 'Download resolution' of 1,0, or -1, depending on how good I want it to look (-1 is highest res). Last step is to geoconvert those regions for levels 12, 13, 14, and possibly 15. In the excellent AeroFly wiki there is a table that shows recommended FSET Download Resolutions vs AeroFly Geoconvert Levels you can use as a guide. Here is the table below, and the wiki entry is here: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwi….php/sdk:scenery_creation

I do not like it at all. You have to do task ( fly threw targets with step angle of attack up or down. shoot at balloons and take photos ) in order to land at other airports. You start with one plane then there is a glider I can not lean to fly so I only can fly too three airports and two planes. I have a lot more freedom with FS

Yeah, it's definitely more of a 'game' than a simulator like AeroFly. Just depends on what you like... You'll either love it or hate it ^^