Posts by KJKsimmer

We don't know yet. We would like to keep the current panel for now and we can't promise that the GPS device will be added to some of our default aircraft. This hasn't been decided yet. We'll see if it is received well from the JustFlight customers.

Hi Jan,

I sincerely applaud this positive development. Well done.

However, I respectfully suggest that your proposed approach to feedback might be worth re-considering.

Here's where I am coming from. To wait for feedback on the GNS instrument from the customers of an addon, will limit the feedback to those who buy that addon. It will not give you feedback from AFS2 users who have no interest in that particular addon.

Allow me to use myself as an illustration. I am a fan of AFS2, and an even bigger fan of JustFlight. BUT I did not buy the JustFlight Duchess because the aircraft itself does not appeal to me. Had you put the GNS in the Duchess, I would not be able to give feedback on it because I was not a customer of the Duchess.

In comparison, putting the GNS into an existing default aircraft will potentially open up the doors to feedback from all existing purchasers of AFS2. This would provide the possibility for greater feedback on the GNS, and also make it easier to tweak things (if needed) in the development of the instrument without implicating JustFlight if something does need to be changed.

I hope this makes sense. It is not a criticism, rather a different perspective on the proposed approach to feedback.

Keep up the positive development on these core features of AFS2. It is a very evident step in the right direction.

Regards

Kenneth

But, you can legally share (maybe not here) your work for testing purposes. A request for testing to see if your work looks the same or different on a different pc setup is perfectly legal. Also to look for errors and omissions. (some call beta testing) :P

Regards,

Ray

I still admit to being very nervous about using any of these image sources. It's the whole copyright question.. AND in terms of someone making their own modifications, I think it would be prudent to remember the concept of "creating derivative works". Not every business is friendly to that idea. Of course, all this is reminiscent of the P3D debacle. That endless debate on "not for entertainment purposes" that even Lockheed Martin seems to stay very silent upon when asked.

- Kenneth

Out of curiosity, how many people are super keen to get Orbx TrueEarth GB South and also have experience making an airport in fsCloudPort ?

I am keen to see it being released. And, while I obviously made many of the airports for the UK on FSCloudport server in the early days, most of them were limited to runways just to give me something that showed up on the navigation screens. Of course, if ORBX could use FSCloudport WITH their library, it might speed up their process.

- Kenneth

Oh yes, I would love the JF Chipmunk in AFS2! (guess what plane I'm flying in my profile pic...)

Cheers

Antoine

I contacted Just Flight (my old publisher) and talked to them about converting their existing Chipmunk. It was not made by their in-house team, so they cannot do it. I then contacted the developer, and they said there's not sufficient demand yet for AFS2 to warrant their small team creating for the platform. That is fully understandable, and I appreciated both companies corresponding with me. However.... I am hoping that if we keep up the requests (and support JF when they do release AFS2 aircraft) we might see something happen further down the road. Supply can sometimes follow demand! - Kenneth

I am probably missing something simple here, but will ask regardless.

I'm working on a simple repaint of the third party Piper Cub addon. Everything is going well with the conversion process until it stalls with a message saying "Cannot load aircraft - set Aerofly FS2 folder in config.tcm"

What I cannot understand is that by that time the converter has already loaded the aircraft into the my documents/.../aircraft/pipercub folder. Everything is there except a preview.ttx which has failed to generate. At that point, I can get the aircraft to fly in FS2 only if I copy an existing preview.ttx file from another pipercub repaint and place it in the new repaint's folder.

So, what am I missing?

- Kenneth

UPDATE... Thanks to GACSavannah, for suggesting that I place the pipercub folder in the main aircraft folder, not the my documents aircraft folder. It worked!

I flew this aircraft around the Canadian prairie in AFS2 last night. It is absolutely delightful. A few quirks maybe (the compass is 180 degrees out!).. BUT the aircraft has such character, beautiful modelling, and is well worth taking time to enjoy. I LOVE to see this new flow of addon aircraft. I encourage the designer and/or modifier who got it working in AFS2, to keep on keeping on. This is changing the sim forever. Download this one folks, you will not be disappointed in my opinion.

- Kenneth

Stay strong Jeff. I'm back after six months away from the sim. Impressed at the momentum beginning to gather as the ecosystem grows. Have a great Easter weekend.

- Kenneth

Did you install geoconvert? When you download the sdk you need to open each individual folder, geoconvert, content convert and so on and run the file inside to install the respective component of the sdk

I double-checked geoconvert by converting an area last night using the old method... FSET, then Geoconverthelper. Everything worked in that way. I must assume that geoconcert is therefore operational, but not connecting with Nick's program on my system.

UPDATE:- Made another attempt, and now it is working. Will see how the scenery looks when finished. I did re-set the path to the SDK, even though it was the same as what was already in the settings menu. Maybe a space was accidentally in the path... who knows....

- Kenneth

Hi Nick

Have been re-installing FS2, and thought I had everything in place, including SDK. I downloaded and tried Aeroscenery, but got an error saying...... (3rd line)

2019-04-12 21:54:12 (INFO) Starting GeoConvert Process

2019-04-12 21:54:12 (INFO) Working on AFS Grid Square 1 of 1

2019-04-12 21:54:12 (ERROR) Could not find GeoConvert

2019-04-12 21:55:45 (INFO) Settings saved

In the settings page I show the path to the SDK as.... D:\Aerofly Development\SDK\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools\ and this is correct.

Any advice would be appreciated (probably something obvious!!)

- Kenneth

I'd like to chime in here with a different perspective. As some of you know, I once started and ran a flight sim company that was one of the first to offer addons for MSFS. It's a LONG time ago!! The company ran for seven years, and had boxed software published by JustFlight and PC Aviator. One of the things that caused me to leave the industry was always playing catchup to Microsoft. Here's what I mean. One time, my team spent six months developing a CD for FS2000. Shortly after it was released by one of our publishers, Microsoft released the next version of FS early, and our CD was incompatible. I closed the company a year after that.

This illustrates the need for core developers to maintain open communication with the addon developers supporting them. As the third party ecosystem is now beginning to develop for AFS2, it is vital that such communication flows easily and mindfully. We already saw one addon from ORBX for AFS2 being broken after an AFS2 update last year (a free airport in Switzerland), and this is what must be prevented, for it's the kind of thing that will make third party developers gun-shy from supporting the platform.

It takes considerable time, commitment, investment, and energy to build a third party addon. Yet, it is these very addons that make or break the future of a core flightsim platform. The relationship between core developers and third party developers must become symbiotic, not incidental. Whether one speaks of programming or delivery, the need for communication even in the planning stage cannot be overstated.

I encourage IPACS and third party developers to foster and maintain such mutual openness, because it will pay rich dividends to all concerned in the future.

- Kenneth

Hi Ray.

A = De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter

B = Fokker F27 (C-31)

Both the above have been used by the US Army parachute team "The Golden Knights", and the yellow markings in the pictured examples may just suggest that too.

C = F-18 Hornet

D = Dornier Alpha Jet, as used by "Top Aces"

E =C-130 Hercules. However, look at the little "blisters" on each side of the rear fuselage. This might suggest it is not a standard weather version, maybe a modified one, or special ops?

Hope this helps.

- Kenneth

"If you still using that old clunker PC..." Guilty! It has not been a priority... Putting money aside for impending income tax is right now! Next machine will have to run AFS2, X-Plane 11, and (maybe) P3Dv?

Kai, I very much understand. Where I am excited is not that you (as one person), have to spend masses of time doing this, I am excited that the knowledge itself now exists, and this can be taught to others who will leverage it. Eventually, it will lead to an army of people converting aircraft to this platform. This is the way it happened with Microsoft Flight Sim. I know, because I was one of the first to develop third party materials for it. History can repeat itself, and likely at a far quicker rate than what we saw with the MS platform.

Good luck with your work.

- Kenneth

WOW..... Just WOW....

Thank you for sharing this information. It is fantastic to know that we have someone in the community who has the information, knowledge, experience, and expertise to take an aircraft from another platform and convert it to AFS2.

In short, this is the fulcrum moment gentlemen. This is the salutary breakthrough that can bring us the wishes fulfilled of an ever-expanding fleet of aircraft for this platform. Not just the commercial ones, but also the very best of the past freeware for the MSFS platform.

The knowledge exists to do this. That is the best flightsimming news of the day!

- Kenneth