Posts by Redtail

Yep, I remember:)

I was around 15 when I started with a Commodore-64 and tape drive. I bought it primarily for the few flight simulators that were available (remember Solo Flight?). Then the Amiga-500, PC compatable 8086, 386...

Then started building my own in the mid 90's.

If only these young kids like my 13 yr old (the impatient generation) knew what we went through to have fun in the early days, at the dawn of the PC!

Spending several longggg minutes waiting for a program to load from a tape drive, spending even longer typing in code from a computer software book or magazine and then debugging when you typed an incorrect line or two, lol.

However, boy-oh-boy was it rewarding to have that game working properly and keeping us entertained for days/weeks, months! :)

I'm a believer! :D

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what%E2…er-good-enough/

"When you install Windows 10, you’ll have an antivirus program already running. Windows Defender comes built-in to Windows 10, and automatically scans programs you open, downloads new definitions from Windows Update, and provides an interface you can use for in-depth scans. Best of all, it doesn’t slow down your system, and mostly stays out of your way—which we can’t say about most other antivirus programs.

So in short, yes: Windows Defender is good enough (as long as you couple it with a good anti-malware program, as we mentioned above..."

I also turn off Windows Defender's real-time protection.

-PK

You might want to reconsider that!

I mentioned this over on the DCS World forum last week as well, when it was brought up in the VR performance thread.

In my quest to eke out as much performance as possible from Win10 for VR.. (CV1, 1080ti, 7700k), I shut down all of the above mentioned services. Turned off Windows updates, search, etc. as well as turned off Windows Defender (no other antivirus pgr running).

I figured I'd take a chance because the risk would probably be minimal since I only use this PC for flightsims and a couple of games. My web activity is kept to a minimum (usually flight sim forums, updates and supporting software). I have a laptop and iPad that I use for everything else.

Well, what do you know!

My PC starts rebooting every five minutes or so. I did a lot of troubleshooting, memory testing, virus scanning, etc. Started to suspect I had a failing power supply since it is around five years old, so maybe it's time for a replacement.

Initially I ran Malwarebytes under a normal boot and it caught a few Trojans, which it cleaned and deleted, but the rebooting problem continued.

Something told me to reboot in "safe-mode" and run Malwarebytes AGAIN!

To my surprise, not only did it find a few more Trojans, it also found a Rootkit. After getting rid of them, I did a normal reboot and the problem was resolved. The PC has been running flawlessly now for more than a week.

So.....although I do not want to use a third-party antivirus program on this PC, I will NOT turn off Windows Defender as long as I'm connected to the internet!

And I will run a MWB scan in safe-mode periodically as a precaution.

Just thought I'd share and maybe help others avoid something similar, because I've been using MS Windows since the first version, had viruses and Trojans before but never anything as strange as this!

Great news indeed! What is particularly exciting, apart from getting access to new hi-res areas, is the fact that all “objects” (buildings & bridges etc.) in AFS2 has “hard” attributes. What this means for those of us chomping at the bit for the R22, is that unlike X-plane and P3D where the annoying feeling of “sinking through” on landing a helicopter is ever-present, there are literally millions of useable “helipads” waiting to be explored. This is going to be just fabulous!!

That's one of the things that bothers me so much in X-Plane. I've actually used the World Editor to add rooftop helipads to various buildings for my pleasure. Such as the MetLife (PanAm) building in Manhattan, as well as a few buildings in downtown Chicago.

That's why I love flying the Huey and Gazelle in DCS World. You can land on any building rooftop, ship, or any other hard surface, which is incredibly rewarding and fun! Ground effect is fully modeled as well.

Another happy customer who is highly impressed with the Vulkan beta!

Flying over NYC in VR in the GA airplanes, is very smooth and fluid (without cumulus clouds). Remarkably close to the real thing! Nothing else has come this close to the real deal for me, except the real deal.

ATC, AI traffic and weather will indeed turn this into the most realistic experience available in a PC flight simulator.

There's only one other GA sim on my PC at the moment, that's XP11. I no longer waste time with FSX/P3D. Looking forward to the day that I'll have only one:)

For IFR.

ATC vectors to final, with the option to request to fly the full approach!

Speaking of ATC, 'Radar Contact 4' was the best ATC product I've ever used in a flighsim (msfs 2004/FSX).

I'm not sure if that team is still around, since they haven't updated their website or produced an update in over a decade.

It is never in stock. Does anyone know how long the wait typically is?

If you're referencing the Jetseat, it took about three weeks to arrive from the time I placed my order. It ships from Andre's shop in Russia also. Although I could be wrong, It appears that he only makes the custom units after an order is placed.

Side note: The software also has a 'massage' option, so when you're not using it in a sim or game, you can have a nice body massage with variable repetitions. I think that is a nice bonus feature.

But I can heartily recommend the JetSeat. With Andre's "Wings" software it has become MUCH better than when I bought the first version about 4 years ago. It is something between a motion plattform and ButtKicker. For natively supported simulations (currently Falcon_BMS, DCS, Aerofly and War Thunder) it is event (and not soundcard) driven. That means the 6 to 8 vibration motors give you feedback to actions like gear, flaps, bumbs, stall warning and g-forces. NOT as real G forces, but as a rumbling and tickling in 6 different "zones" that you quickly learn to interprete. There's a workaround that gives you motor vibes, too.
    As a cushion that you put on your seat it it works very fine on the Geko seat and probably on any other (platform's) seat.

Last year, I bought the custom version in black. I really wanted the olive green one, but didn't think it would look so good in my black and blue gaming seat.

It sure does adds another element of immersion to the VR experience! I only wish that the vibration effects were stronger in AFS2. Even after cranking up the settings in the 'wings' software as well as the turning the knob all the way up to full, the effects aren't as strong as they are in DCS. In DCS I have to actually turn down the settings from max.

But yes, the Jetseat is great! It feels odd now if I fly a sim with it turned off, lol

I actually have an audio program of an aviation seminar by Rod Machado, where he advocates using both hands on the yoke during the landing in really gusty conditions, if you feel the need to do so. So a few years ago when I heard that, I went up and tried it, but I just couldn't get my brain to accept something against what had become muscle-memory for so many years. It just didn't work out for me, so I continued to round-out, touchdown and roll out as I had been taught.

I understand his reasoning, which was specifically for extreme gusty conditions. He never mentioned anything about the yoke sticking, asymmetric pulling or anything like that. I've never had an instructor voice that as a concern.

In fact, even during cruise (when not using autopilot) I usually fly with one hand on the stick/yoke. It gives me more precise control.

None of the Cessnas I trained in or took my checkride in had an autopilot.

I've been in plenty of real aeroplane cockpits AND glider cockpits :evil:. I was taught to ONLY have one hand on the control column and not one instructor or examiner had the slightest worry about biasing the plane to spiral half out of control. The sportier planes had a stick and holding a control column in a finger and thumb is directly equivalent, the pilot gives whatever input is required to make the plane do exactly what he or she wants.

Engines vibrate and throttle creep is a dangerous phenomenon warned about early in elementary training. Throttle friction is not to be trusted and a hand is required on the throttle at all critical times. In multi crew operations the operating pilot takes his throttle hand away at V1 as described earlier but the non flying pilot has his hand on the throttles immediately. In this case the pilot can use both hands if desired especially with heavy or miss-trimmed controls.

Try flying the Robinson R22 with both hands on the stick! Yes, I have flown a real helicopter 8o.

This is how I was taught from my first flight lesson 20 years ago and it is how I have flown every single takeoff and landing ever since. Left hand on yoke, right hand on throttle. When I fly the Super Decathlon, my right hand is on the stick and my left is on the throttle during takeoff and landing.

If I even thought about removing my hand from the throttle before reaching pattern altitude, I'd get a whipping LOL:D

I sort of understand the idea of using Voice Attack and the ease of it but I find it a but odd at the same time: the idea behind VR and VR hands is to make things more realistic. It should bring things closer to a real life flying experience. But in real life you don't use your voice to operate the AP, gear, flaps, etc... Of course you could consider the use of voice as a simulation of commands to a co-pilot... ;)

...YET. But don't rule out the possibility of that feature in the future. ;)

When I'm flying something fast (like the Lear45) in VR, VA is an incredible asset! It really does feel like I have a co-pilot with me to ease my workload. My control of the jet is much more precise and there's something magical when I say "positive rate" and he responds "gear up" then raises the gear! :)

I'm also experimenting with Voice Attack and a profile made for AFS2, which greatly reduces the interaction with keyboard keys. Works great for accessing the menu, switching views, pause, etc. as well as operating various systems in the cockpit (autopilot, gear, flaps, lights, etc). I like using it in conjunction with the VR hands. However, when it comes to gear and flaps, I prefer the VR hand. Unless I'm simulating having a co-pilot. Voice Attack is great in that respect!

Hard to reach switches/buttons (with VR hands) are easily controlled with Voice Attack. At least it's a temporary solution for now.

Update: 5/7/18

I moved my right sensor from my desktop over to a stand about a foot right of the desk and lower (roughly parallel with my leg). The result is a much better tracking of my right controller/VR hand and much more accuracy flipping switches, levers, etc. I'll play around with it some more when I have more time.

Apologies for taking this so far from the original topic.

I think I'm being misunderstood. What I'm saying is..... I am still experimenting with the idea of using both (hardware & VR hands). So far, I like the concept of flying with the yoke in my left hand while manipulating switches, flaps, gear, etc with a VR hand (right hand). Just like I am in my profile picture, which is me flying a C172SP. I AM getting interference with my current setup, so I'm not really all that lucky...yet. That is why I'm thinking that a third rift sensor, strategically placed, may give better results.

Fatigue is not an issue in the way I utilize the controller (right hand), because when I'm flying I rest that hand on my lap (like real life) and only raise it to press buttons, flip switches, raise gear, flaps, etc. I use the wrist band to keep it from getting away from me. I find the VR hand to 'feel' much more natural and lifelike than playing around with the mouse to do those things. Maybe that's just me, I don't know. Of course the ultimate would be the ability to track your actual hand without needing to hold a VR controller! Perhaps we will have that feature one day.

Imho using the VR hands together with hardware like rudder and yoke isn't a good idea. VR hands are meant to be used on their own and (far) away from a desk. The combination simply doesn't work too well. Imho. I prefer hardware anyway: keeping those touch controls in the air all the time, trying to get a grip on things, etc. it's all too cumbersome for me. Nice effect and probably innovative but not my kind of thing for now.

I disagree. I think the combination of hardware with VR hands is an excellent idea. When I fly IRL, I'm not looking at the yoke or rudder pedals (same in VR), but I am indeed looking at the gear and flap levers, radios, autopilot, etc. prior to manipulating them. That's exactly how I use the VR hands when I'm under the hood (HMD) of my rift. While at the same time enjoying the tactile feedback I get from using a physical yoke/stick, throttle and pedals.

Well under the desk the sensors just cant see your hand, maybe sit back a little

Both sensors are on top of my desk. I angled one sensor down slightly in an attempt to improve tracking of my hand, but a third sensor is probably what I need.

Sitting back anymore than I do, is not an option. If I sit back anymore, my feet won't reach the pedals and my hands won't reach my yoke. And I'm 6 ft tall :D

I think very very few people. The serious simmer has invested money on controllers like throttle, joysticks and pedals and wouldn't like to stop using them.

Cheers, Ed

Well I fly with yoke/stick (saitek/warthog), throttle and Saitek 'combat rudder pedals'. Last night I took the Lear for a spin over a few hours, just short hops around my local area of NY/NJ and I must say.......Using the VR hands (at least one) to operate the parking brakes, gear, flaps, nav radios and the various modes of the autopilot was awesome! I found it so much easier and natural than fumbling around with the mouse. BTW, I'm not jet rated IRL, but damn that Lear is sweet!!!:thumbup: