Posts by emfrat

Hello Jan - these are good features, sensibly implemented. It is good to know they are there. Thankyou.

Personally, I like juggling throttle, mixture, prop pitch, and trim, to set up 'straight and level' flight and remembering what to do next time I use the aircraft.

Sad to say, there is so much in my 74 yr old memory bank that it can take some time to dredge up that sort of info when I need it :/ :D

AFS 4 is a great sim, with neat little touches that most young players would not realise were happening.

Thanks again,

ATB, MIkeW

Hundreds of wind turbines plus hundreds of power pylons plus their shadows!

Truly, a monstrous regiment of windmills. Why so many were planted in areas of exceptional scenic beauty is beyond me. I strongly suspect some bureaucrat getting revenge on the Greens. Offshore installations provide reliable, steady winds. Mind you, here in Oz there was a proposal to turn the old coal terminal in Newcastle NSW. into a windfarm. A spokesman for the State Minister for the Environment announced that the project would not go ahead "because people don't want these big fans blowing coal dust all over the place". ;(

It's the same on my end, so it's intended behavior. Perhaps we can make the screenshot file extension optional in the future.

Thanks Jan - I do most of my simming in NZ and post screenies in the NZFF Forum. I take what AFS4 gives me, and post-process to meet NZFF requirements, using Irfan View, before posting to Postimage as jpgs. So bmp or png does not matter, but there is no point in having pngs as well as bmps to start with.

Many thanks for your help

ATB, MikeW

That has nothing to do with Windows updates. I guess the screenshots are now saved as bmp and png. Do you have the developer options enabled?

Hello Jan - Thankyou for replying .I do not knowingly have developer mode enabled. This is what it says at the very bottom of the main.mcf:

405 >

<[bool][debug_show_log][false]>

<[bool][debug_show_fps][false]>

<[settings_developer][developer_settings][]

<[bool][Enabled][false]>

<[string8][DeepDeveloperMode][]>

<[string8][SpecialDeveloperMode][]>

<[float64][TimeLapse][1]>

<[float64][IntegrationDeltaTime][0.001]>

<[bool][ShowMonitoring][false]>

<[vector4_float32][MonitoringPosition][0.0020000000949949 0.0020000000949949 0.400000005960464 0.300000011920929]>

<[bool][PauseInDebugView][true]>

>

419 >

Since AFS2 I have used reversed default screenshot settings, so that S gives me a screenshot without and Shift+S shows the overlays. both as bmp files. That has worked perfectly for years, until now. Apparently, using Win Key + Print Screen will create a png file. Possibly within AFS4 using the S key is generating two requests, which is why the tmlog only reports saving a bmp?

MikeW

The more I look into this, the more I am convinced that the problem is collateral damage from a recent Windows 10 update. The tmlog says AFS4 is saving a bitmap (.bmp) file and when I look in the screenshots folder, the image is there. But there is also a png of the same image. Something is copying/saving the AFS4 bmp as a png. I am not doing it, AFS4 is not doing it, Steam is not doing it, which only leaves Windows 10.

In mid-April when trying the new airport conversions, I found that Print Screen would not work ( the keyboard had Prt Scrn as a Function on the Insert key, and no combination of Ctrl, Fn, Win Key and Shift would give me an image). Win10 kept popping up messages about installing the Snipping Tool. So I tried an older keyboard which has a dedicated Prnt Scrn key, and that worked, in AFS4 before the Beta.

I did not try any screenshots in the Beta, but when I upgraded to the Release version, I discovered the png duplicates beside the bmp images.

If you hear of an earthquake in Seattle, that will probably just be me gently persuading a certain software company to stop tampering with my machines. X( MikeW

No worries, I live in Oz so I wasn't expecting any response from the European timezone before tomorrow - but thanks very much for taking an interest. And at least I alerted you (and maybe others) to a possibility that might have affected your setup.

ATB

MikeW

I checked on macOS: no PNG image associated to the BMP screenshot.

4.03.01.09 (20230523)

This is in 4.03.01.10 on a Win10 PC. Don't think I took any screenies while I was using the Beta, but I will have a look. Thanks for your response :thumbup:

Just checked - first observed yesterday, and I deleted them. Still have today's png's. No png's before that, or ever.

I have been flying the new release - it is very good - over the weekend, and find that every time I take a screenshot, I now get two files, the usual *.bmp, plus a *.png.

I have searched the mcf files for screenshot, bmp, and png but I could not find where the command causing this duplication is located. How can I fix this? I don't need png's, they are just wasting a lot of storage. ;(

Thanks in advance.
    MikeW

So what's new and exciting IPACS coming down the pipe for us...? Haven't seen anything new since the Concord ;)

There is no reason why you should. The team are developing this great sim for all of us, but they are continually interrupted by demands from people who want the sim redesigned to suit their own personal wishes, with no regard for other users.

How about just letting them get on with their work? They do know what they are doing. X(

I took a run from Sumburgh down along The Minch towards Oban, just to see how the N-W Highlands looked in the new sim. The default scenery and mesh looked pretty good. Then the cabin crew brought me a beer, and as I took it from her I accidentally nudged one of the prop pitch levers. Immediately, I heard that 'out-of-sync' noise. The panel confirmed the problem, so I adjusted the prop pitch and all was good again. AFS4 is one classy sim :) :thumbup:

Hello Michael, compliments of the season to you and yours.

I bought the Honeycomb throttle quad to go with AFS4, and I am very happy with it. It is a well-made piece of kit, and has lots of functions.

I just tried it in AFS2. It is recognised there, but the AFS2 controller setups do not include everything in the AFS4 one. I use the Baron 58 in AFS4 so I setup a flight in AFS2 with the same plane. I use a Logitech yoke and pedals.

Throttles, Prop Pitch and Mixture levers all work. The GA flaps lever works. The trim wheel works but there is no Trim indicator on the AFS2 info bar. There is a nice undercarriage lever, which is actually seen as a button, and the gear moves as required but the indicator lights on the Quad don't show that.

The Autopilot button does what it should and in the cockpit view the A/P can be seen coming to life. There are function selectors for Hdg, Crs, Alt etc and if you want to adjust these, there is a knob at the left to select the function you want to change and at the right hand side there is another knob which you turn to change the setting up or down.

I have not tested every possible thing for AFS2, but I can say that within the limits of the AFS2 setup menus, the Honeycomb Quad works very well in AFS2. I keep a magnifying glass handy, to read the small print on the A/P controls. Should really get some new glasses. :)

You may have seen my posts wrt the Quad in AFS4 on the NZFF forum, but if not, here is a link: https://nzff.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31074

ATB

Mike