Posts by emfrat

Well, that's a shame...as they say in France, "Quel bummer!" I don't have a super-dooper GPU, just a 2GB RX500, but so far it is handling everything I throw at it. If you have time to follow the link I put up, you will find a "Download Original" button on each view. Feel free to use it.

ATB

MikeW

Kenneth - On my machine, which is a DVD installation, I unzipped the download to its own temporary folder. This created:

Scotland_Cultivation

Scotland_Cultivation\elevation

Scotland_Cultivation\places

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_buildings

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_forests
    Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_lights

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_power_lines

Each of these four sub-folders has a building_textures sub-folder

Having established that, I then moved the entire Scotland_Cultivation folder into Documents > Aerofly FS2 > addons > scenery.

Hope this helps

MikeW

Hello Kenneth - I use the Taburet mesh with Michael's scenery. Yesterday I flew the length of the Great Glen to Inverness, then followed the railway down to Perth and finally landed 'on the photo' at Dundee. Everything looked to be in its proper place, although the Tay Rail Bridge seems to have fallen down again ;)

MikeW

Michael, thank you for all the scenery work you are doing, especially in Scotland. I was born there, and ran away to make my fortune in the colonies when I was 19.

I must have succeeded, because I have certainly spent one.

In the past I have created scenery for FS2004 and FSX, so I understand your frustration with cloud cover and shadows. You did a great job on Scotland.

Personally, I think scenery creators have to be Post-Modern Impressionists. No point in modelling every last blade of grass (or sprig of heather), just make the right impression. My youngest niece lives on Shetland, so I hope you will include that. It is a great centre for flights to the Faeroes, Norway, and Iceland - not to mention the rest of Scotland.

ATB

MikeW

I just bought Taburet’s mesh too. The advantage of this cultivation of course is that it is Scotland wide, so i thought i’d keep Taburet’s cultivation and remove the hebrides cult, but then i had none at all. Perhaps Taburet’s doesn’t extend to the islands?

Phil, there is definitely cultivation with the Taburet mesh. I wanted to be sure that Michael's scenery did not clash with it, in response to PMB 's question.. I did not see any obvious duplication with both active. I was aware that cutting the Taburet scenery back to just the elevation folder would clear all Scottish buildings, so I want to put it back, and I surely will.

Hello Phil - I had the Taburet mesh installed, it goes into a folder 'Scottish Cultivation' with the usual sub-folders. I then installed the IZOJUB scenery which has its own scenery and places. I wanted to test with both installed, take some pics, and then move the Taburet 'places' folder to a safe spot, to see if there was a difference. So I did that, leaving only the Scottish Cultivation\ elevation\ folder, to see if the buildings had been duplicated, but I couldn't see any difference. I need to test it again, because I have S set to take a screenie without any overlay, and Shift+S to include the overlays. For some reason that has not worked. I purposely used Shift+S for shots showing where I was, but that does not seem to have worked.

I believe the pic I posted has the Taburet mesh, with the IZ0JUB photo and cultivation.

On the first pass, there was a lot of flickering, but I have not yet standardised on one set of building textures.

ATB

MikeW (too many Michaels around here :D)

One more question: This does not include any Mesh. I understand, Taburet payware Mesh is suggested. According to Simmarket, Taburet's package contains Mesh plus Cultivation, so I only have to install the Mesh part as the Cultivation would interfere with the Outer Hybrides Cultivation right?

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael - the Taburet mesh does have buildings and trees. The distribution of buildings looks about right, but I am not sure about the trees. The Western Isles have been essentially treeless since Viking times, but that has been changing rapidly as community groups try to re-establish the few native types. What growth there is tends to be bush and shrubs, rather than tall forests. The street lamps look good at night, but because of the sparse population and light traffic, very few roads are fully lit in real life.

https://www.scottishhousingnews.com/article/commun…o-western-isles

ATB

MikeW

Hello Antoine - a while back I was testing Krsky1's world wide airports in Rob Corn's NZ Coromandel scenery (btw, that is not generally available). Some of them were out of place, so I fixed that, but I found that if I started the Beech76 cold and dark on a parking position, it sat down nicely with the chocks and tiedowns. If I started it on the threshold, ready for t/off it was about 30cm above ground level.
    I like to land/ take-off 'on the photo', where possible.

Don't know if this is any help, but I suspect there is a clue there that I am missing.

ATB

MikeW

Well let's not start a war of every other sim vs AFS2. I remember MSFS4, which was amazing in its day, but it took about 30 years for MSFS4 to evolve into MSFSX, and another few years while LM developed that into P3D. That was with large, dedicated teams of programmers to make things happen. There is a great community here, just like UKVFR in the FS2000 days and later. I am mainly interested in NZ, even though I live in Australia, and I am trying to develop things in AFS2 to complement Rob Corn's , and Timmo's, VLC mesh and scenery. Sadly my brain does not seem to be as adaptable as it once was, but thanks to Arno, Nickhod, and others we have tools available to help that.

All these things take time - please be patient, and more than anything please work within the AFS2 standards, for filenames, file placement and so on.

ATB, Mike

While those "airports" may be of help for developers, I agree they may be rather misleading than helpful for the general user.

Hello Michael - I think they would have been better described as 'location points' rather than 'airports'. But they are very useful; and the author makes it clear that they should be installed with forethought, not en masse.

All the best, yet another forum Michael :)