Posts by kenventions

Hartman, the "jackpot" for trees is the photoscenery technique (see the Layer #6 photo) posted in another thread, I'll provide more details later but the basic process is this:

1) use the FSET tool to generate a bmp image of the ~10nm x ~10nm area you want to recreate matching FS2 trees

2) import that bmp file info ScenProc and use the texture filter option to "teach" the filter what areas of the bmp image are trees

(this takes ~10 iterations to get the filter to highlight trees in all the right places, but it's worth the time!)

3) then you save the filter setting and run some commands on that file to create a file with the coordinates of every single tree (shoot for <800,000 trees)

4) then you take the coordinates file and run a few more commands to plant a tree at every coordinate and it outputs your new trees toc file

5) then you move that toc file to your airport folder under PLACES and update the airport tsc file to use your new toc file

6) startup FS2 and checkout your new trees!

Layer #1 - add an airport using FSCloudPort ...

Layer #2 - use AeroScenery to add a level 9 tile of 2m resolution scenery ...

Layer #3 - use AeroScenery to add 0.5m high resolution scenery at the airport (2 small level 11 tiles) - noticeable near the airport ...

Layer #4 - use OpenStreetMaps and ScenProc to create some houses, buildings, plants, and lighting to cover the level 9 tile ...

Layer #5 - use OpenStreetMaps and ScenProc to create more variable height houses & buildings for the 10nm x 10nm area surrounding the airport ...

Layer #6 - use FSET and ScenProc to create 500,000 trees based on photoscenery for the 10nm x 10nm area surrounding the airport ...

And finally ...

Layer #7 - use OpenStreetMaps and ScenProc to create tall buildings in a small rectangular area along a tollway that passes by the right side of the airport ...

How-To Docs

Layer6 (Trees) How-To.pdf

Layer7 (Tall Buildings) How-To.pdf

FS2-Florida Building Textures.pdf

Tom, at the moment the only way to convert between height and floors would be to include it in the filter. So let's see you have multiple steps for 1, 2 and 3 floors. In the filter to select the features you would then include something like "height > 0 And height < 3" for 1 floor, "height > 3 And height < 6" for 2 floors, etc.

In the filter you could also check for height != "*" to select features that don't have the attribute. These could use random values.

I'll try to make a sample script later.

Maybe I can let the CreateAF2Building step handle both height and floors. I need to think about that.

Arno, would you post a sample script that generates tall buildings of random height for a small downtown area that does not have building height or floors info in the OSM data?

This was posted in another thread ...

"One simple issue with VR piloting is simply not being close enough to the instrument panel, Make sure your eyepoint is directly above (look straight down) the front edge of your seat.

In Settings, ->Controls -> View -> Scroll to the bottom until you see the Move forward/backward/left/right/up/down commands and I used several of them with my POV hat so I could easily move right up close without needing so much leaning.

Then choose cockpits like F-15, F-8 with HUDs, , Jungmeister, Pitts, and a few others that really work well in VR. The Pitts especially should be very clear.

Render Scale Factor must be at least 1.5"

Back on topic, here are my Top10 things I really like about FS2 ...

1) VR performance

2) VR performance

3) VR performance

4) The optional scenery packs for purchase are impressive/high quality - glad to purchase these knowing I'm helping fund additional FS2 development

5) The big selection of aircraft of all sizes and performance levels are already included when you buy FS2

6) Pre-configured aircraft for take-offs, inflight or final approaches - if you only have 30 minutes to fly, you can spend all of it flying. I really like the final approach options at each airport to practice landings in different airplanes and day/night. When weather comes, landing practice will really get interesting!

7) The cockpit detail is impressively realistic/very immersive - looking around the Cessna 172 gave me flashbacks to my flight lessons days. As someone mentioned above, the graphics engine does a great job with the cockpit lighting/shadows

8 ) Having access to the tools to create airports/scenery for my local area was an added bonus and makes FS2 more personal - it's great to see the FS2 community creating improvements to these tools/processes that free up more time to fly

9) Planning a new flight is pretty easy, I never got an IFR license and haven't flown many long FS2 flights but the easy flight planning is a good combo with the pre-configured aircraft so you can set your route and be rolling down the runway in under 60 seconds!

10) City night lights - this latest release makes cities look great. If the first WOW is FS2 in VR, then the 2nd WOW is FS2 in VR at night!

I put a lot of planning, hard work and detail into my VR cockpit and FS2 is the ONLY flightsim I use - it's a PERFECT MATCH!

I tried other VR flightsims at the beginning of the year but was always disappointed with the VR experience. My frequent flyer miles will always be FS2 miles!

*IDEA #1* - IPACS, can you track miles flown? Other games have leaderboards - it might be entertaining to track Frequent Flyer miles. I know Steam tracks hours of game time but I didn't know if that was Pilot Logbook hours or not. I thought I remember mention of a Pilot Logbook possibility. If you go that route, logging hours/miles by aircraft is probably already in your plans.

*IDEA #2* - with FS2 being such a great VR showcase and new wireless/standalone VR headsets hitting the market, it would be cool to have a "FS2 Passenger" experience where we could record an interesting flight (through NYC, etc) and then share that flight with someone who has one of these wireless/standalone (less powerful) headsets so they can experience the same flight as a passenger. Aerobatic flights would be cool too!

The airport runway lights do turn on earlier than the streetlights - I often find this sweetspot as it makes airports easier to spot. If you have the time adjust +/- mapped to one of your joystick rocker switches you can find that trip point.

IPACS may be delaying the streetlights for framerate reasons - daytime details plus streetlights may create a higher graphics load vs a dark city with streetlights (just a guess).

Can you explain how you make it that RPM is via Speed Sound ?

Since the ButtKicker only uses 1 channel of the L/R sound output from the PC, I fed the other channel to an Arduino controller where I could track a rolling average of the peak sound level and output a proportional signal to control the fans so the fan speed closely tracks the loudness of the roller coaster. Coaster speed correlates well with coaster sound so it works great!

I use my Odyssey with the VR roller coaster sim "No Limits 2" and added a roller coaster chair bar (heavy iron pipe) for extra realism along with 2 small fans that vary in speed based on the sound/speed of the roller coaster itself. The rattle/shake sounds come through the ButtKicker to complete the experience!

Sorta "flying" on tracks :)

PK, I use the cultivation video tutorial (OSM) under the wiki section to get the houses, buildings, and lights added and then I use Ian's "Cultivation from PhotoScenery" to add in lots of trees (see that thread for details). By "lots" I mean ~700K trees in a 10nm x 10nm area.