Posts by kenventions

Ray, is this an accurate summary of your process?

1) identify the 2 airports to be created

2) using FSET, check Google & Virtual Earth image examples near one of the airports to determine best source

3) using the best source, download 1m FSET scenery files for a rectangle that includes both airports and a 5nm buffer edge

4) run FS2 GeoConverter for levels 12, 13, and 14 but stop the process after 13

5) transfer new scenery files to FS2 to verify it correctly covers both airports (if not, go back to step 3)

6) restart FS2 GeoConverter for levels 12, 13, and 14 and let it run overnight (close any other open programs)

7) transfer new scenery files to FS2

How do you approach the cultivation process for the same rectangle?

Several people seem to have mastered the airport scenery and cultivation process. It would be helpful if one of those experts created a tutorial using the latest tools and techniques to show the novices how to create a route with 2 high resolution airports and scenery between them (cultivation included). This grid stuff is more complicated when you're trying to do a full route with 2 airports so a basic tutorial or work flow would be greatly appreciated!

Night lights do look better after the June 29th update - thanks IPACS! I had to check out Denver again after several mentions in the UPDATE thread and night lights now look very realistic - I even pulled up this actual Denver flight video from my Feb2018 post and FS2 now has the same look - well done!

FYI - I found this short video of Denver at night from the air - https://youtu.be/3LYOtRPdOu0

Another 80-yr old flying FS2 in VR! Took my dad to TopGolf for the first time on Father's Day and then back to my house for some TopGun in VR! He also had a private pilot's license during his younger years.

Here he is checking out the overhead switches on a 737 (he reached up for them) ...

All 3 of my sons were in town too (1 has his VFR license) and my brother flew up from Austin (has an IFR license) so it was a great Father's Day for the both of us!

My guess is that IPACS reviewed existing ATC solutions months ago and is now locked in on what they want to deliver in v1.0 and are working hard on that FS2 addition. I will also guess it will be different / innovative.

I only fly VR so I hope there's a VR option for ATC that is 100% audio / voice-command based with no on-screen text.

Found the post by Jet-Pack ... "Here is a challenge for you: F18 in Monument Valley, approach from the mountain side, try to land it as short as possible. You may either do a low level, low speed turn or you can fly over top the terrain, then dive down and try to make it. Both are really hard but its doable and really challenging. You have to predict the motion and inertia for this one."

I was only off my 200 miles :)

Jeff, regarding your comment "But please remember, it's not just the developer that can make a great game, it's also the strong community that backs it up and promotes it" - has there been any discussion regarding some kind of monthly community/user award/recognition? With a growing group of user-developed scenery & tools that are starting to be shared, maybe we need to come up with a "career" path of achievements for those people so they get formally recognized for those contributions, and it encourages others to give it a try.

Just like these forums give you Beginner, Student, etc badges on your profile - maybe there's an option for a 2nd badge related to user-created contributions.

Also to help with community support, maybe we just need a post "User suggestions for Things to do in Aerofly" - I remember a few months ago someone suggested trying to land an F-18 at a tiny runway in the Grand Canyon area that was next to a big cliff. I gave it a try - I didn't know that runway was there!

I'm sure there are some other ideas out there regarding how to build a strong community!

Peter, first make sure in VR SETTINGS you have "SHOW NATIVE VIEW ON MAIN MONITOR" = NO as YES will cost you performance.

Next, try these custom GRAPHICS SETTINGS - U, H, H, M, L, L - I get a very smooth 90 FPS around NYC using a GTX1080+Odyssey combo with supersampling @ 1.33 so your 970+Rift combo should be fairly smooth with these settings.

I think you also want LIMIT FRAME RATE (in Graphics Settings) = OFF.

See if any of this helps and report back.

With rudder pedals and a ButtKicker attached to your chair, it does feel alot like the flying lessons days - especially when that stall horn starts to squeal. Obviously you don't feel the G's from tight turns etc but the vibration of the engine and the rumble of the pavement at takeoff go well with the VR experience.

When ATC and weather get added, we'll be 2 steps closer to the real thing.