Posts by kenventions

Thanks Rob. I was originally going to buy one of those HOTAS support kits but my wife thought it was ugly and would leave all the wires exposed ... 3 months later I had my F-15 replica ready for VR with all wires/PC hidden! In addition to the ButtKicker effects, feeling the sides of the Hotas support boxes against your knees while flying adds to the realism that you're in a tight cockpit - a nice little bonus I wasn't expecting.

Roy, don't know if this will help going forward but my WMR routine is to:

1) Click on Steam desktop icon

2) Click on "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" desktop icon

3) Go back to Steam and select Aerofly from game library

4) then click on the "PLAY IN VR" button

I tried SS=2.0 but it didn't make a difference - the real issue appears to be what whitav8 mentions ...

"the initial IPACS texture for light points was apparently too small (sure looked good to me in VR) for monitor (non-VR) viewing and so a texture with more blur (larger radius) was substituted by IPACS"

Sounds like we could use another graphics option under the VR tab to adjust the light texture size.

There appears to be a VR issue at night with the dark/black graphics layer for things like lakes and vegetation.

If I'm over Denver at 6:00 UTC heading west and I nod my head up and down slightly (like you do sometimes when listening to music) the lake surface moves up and down while the surrounding area doesn't. It does it too while looking at the mountains - even the cockpit shadows bounce around when I do it. During the day, it doesn't do that.

This may be limited to WMR headsets because the SteamVR drivers are still maturing. I'd be interested to hear if any Rift/Vive owners can re-create the same issue. This issue is probably contributing to my Denver@night blurry comments because any time I move my head, all the black terrain areas are doing this temporary shift.

FYI - I found this short video of Denver at night from the air - https://youtu.be/3LYOtRPdOu0

If I fly 100 feet over the Denver airport, the runway lights look realistic but if I then look off in the distance at the city of Denver the freeway lights and neighborhood lights look blurry even in the center of my view.

With WMR headsets being only 3 months old, I've also wondered if the 3D rendering has not been optimized for the headsets - especially the Odyssey with its unique 1600x1440 OLED panels. I was trying DCS 2,5 beta a couple of days ago and noticed the cockpit looked sharp but the trees nearby looked like double-vision. At the time I thought it was the "beta" status of the flight sim but maybe the Denver night blurries represent the same symptom.

Maybe the Aerofly developers can comment on any Oculus vs Vive vs WMR implementations. I'll see if I can get some screenshots / pics as examples.

Rob, I'm guessing you're using a monitor versus a VR headset. I just tried Denver at night in VR and it's just too blurry for the resolution of my Samsung Odyssey even with RS = 1.33 . I have the Monterey add-on which looks nice in daylight but I remember trying it at night and had the same issue.

Today, we trade resolution for immersion with VR headsets and it's worth it when the content is well lit, but when most of the pixels are dark it's not. Hopefully the Odyssey2 will have 3200x2880 OLED panels to narrow/eliminate that gap.

I was flying an F-18 between the buildings of New York City to check for stutters with my Aerofly graphics settings and finally settled on the following for the 6 adjustments - UHHMLL (U=Ultra, H=High, M=Medium, L=Low) which give me a rock solid 90 FPS in VR using a Samsung Odyssey (4.6M pixels) with the Aerofly Render Scale = 1.33 .

While dodging buildings, I noticed how straight 5th Avenue looked (about 3 miles) and that it ran into Central Park so I decided to give it a try with 50 feet of altitude !

NO PROBLEM !!! - made it out in one piece thanks to the smooth 90 FPS !!!

+1 for getting the TM16000 throttle to go with your joystick as it will add more buttons under your fingers - I have the full set and also like the rudder pedals with toe brakes. You may also want to consider the VoiceAttack software for handling things you don't want to map to your controllers.

Mirror to SPEAKER really means mirror to that green jack. The ButtKicker plugs into the green jack and if you want your desk speakers to also play the game sounds, just plug the Y-adapter into the green jack and then connect the ButtKicker stereo cable and the desk speaker cable to the other 2 ends of the Y-adapter.

With this tool enabled you can monitor your CPU & GPU ability to support 90 FPS - the charts show-up in VR on the back of one of the controllers

In other VR games it works but when I try FS2, the charts almost immediately freeze then SteamVR shuts down completely. Tried it several times. I'm guessing this is a Samsung Odyssey / Windows Mixed Reality headsets issue since they are relatively new - it probably works fine with the Vive or Oculus headsets.

The easy one to setup would be the ButtKicker Gamer2 version

1) Attach to office chair seat post

2) Plug transducer into BK amp

3) Plug BK amp stereo cord into green audio jack on PC

4) In SteamVR settings, select AUDIO, then MIRROR TO SPEAKERS

If you're not using SteamVR, just use the included Y-adapter cord for your headphones or if you're using a surround sound system, google how to mirror PC audio.

The BK amp has filter adjustments to limit what sounds get passed to the transducer. For flight sims I prefer to have the high pass filter ON (pressed in) and the high pass filter dial all the way counter clockwise to filter out as much of the higher frequencies as possible. I don't notice a difference with the low pass switch in or out.

The BK amp also has +/- buttons for volume control - some plane engines are louder than others so tweak the volume during engine run-up / before take-off and you should be set for the rest of your flight.

I have the Samsung but not the CV1. From reading alot it seems like CV1 is more stable and has a larger sweet spot of clear viewing when you look around. The Samsung has 70% more pixels and gets alot of "display looks better than the Vive or Oculus" comments and the Samsung is easier to setup because you don't have to setup tracking cameras in front of you.

The Samsung works with Steam but there's a way to play Oculus exclusive games (haven't tried that). I believe there is also a way for CV1 users to play Steam/Vive games.

My guess is you need a better graphics card for the Samsung to push the extra pixels. I jumped into VR last month for the flying and when I first buzzed an airport in FS2 in an F-18 at 1000 MPH and at a butter smooth 90 FPS, I was glad I bought that GTX 1080 graphics card!