Posts by Saltgrass

Thanks folks, if I turn up the graphics all I get is mush. The presentation is so grainy I can't stand to stay in the sim....

Outside scenery is not important. I would turn it off if possible to improve the visuals.

If you start with the Windows Mixed Reality portal, you have settings for video quality and refresh rate. If you go into SteamVR you see settings for global and then for individual programs. Then the settings in the program... Too many combinations for trying to find a good setting.

Even folks at Steam think I am a little nuts if I set the graphics to minimum... But that does seem to be what it takes.

The comment about the monitor, was me wondering if that resolution was having some effect.

I changed the settings to try to get them better and lost the acceptable version... Now I have to try and get back there again. Having someone report the Vibe Pro has good visuals is a problem. But the two units do not run games in the same configuration.

Thanks again... I will keep testing..

There is at least on person on the Steam site who can't get his to track and is sending it back.

I notice the HTC site is out of Controllers and Base Stations...

The Odyssey works OK and the drop outs with tracking are being caused by low batteries.

I just can't get a good picture of the instruments going through steam.

Anybody taking pictures of the visual inside the headset?

I have made some progress today. Since being frustrated with trying to get better graphics, I decided to go the other way and reduce the graphic quality.

I started with the lowest and noticed I could read the panels much better. So far I have raised the quality to the next level and I am still able to see all the information on the CRTs in front and even on the center console of the A320. It seems lowering the graphics and lowering the brightness of the displays has made the visual much better.

I will be doing more testing to see how high I can raise the graphics, but right now I am happy with the visual presentation.

Thanks all...

@querty42, I certainly appreciate your explanations. Being fairly new to this any info helps.

The Odyssey has the IPD adjustments and I have set those the best I can.

I am not seeing a screen door effect. In fact, the only time the graphics are good is when I get very close. The FOV on the Odyssey is 110 degrees, just as will be the Vibe Pro. I run a 2560x1080 monitor @144 hz and the resolution of the Odyssey is 2880x1600, as the Vibe Pro will be. I do not know of a way to confirm the resolution or refresh rate of the Odyssey headset. It is not listed as a separate monitor so no info is available, unless you know of a way. I cannot keep my head under the glare shield so I can read the instruments.

With supersampling, I have tried all the way to 6 with SteamVR and 2.0 with the program VR settings. All I really got was a glimmering of the graphics.

"If my own vision is good", from what I am seeing makes no difference. I have tried glasses with different magnification and I see no appreciable difference in the presentation.

My problems may be a mix of my expectations and the capability of the VR headset. I just keep seeing things I do not understand. If VR takes so much of GPU resources, why in mine not even trying. The GPU never seems to increase its cooling needs during VR events. Could the visuals be restricted in some manner in order to maintain compatibility with other systems?

The unknown for me is if the SteamVR using Windows Mixed Reality, is in any way involved in this situation. Should I expect the new Vibe Pro with the increased resolution to be better than the Odyssey because it does not need the SteamVR for Window Reality? I was going to purchase a new Vibe Pro, but now I feel I will just be wasting my money.

Don't misunderstand, what I am seeing is not just with the Aerofly program. Even Windows Mixed Reality seems to have disappointing graphics on their own programs. I can forgive not being able to read a paper in mixed reality but I need to be able to see messages such as those put up on the glass of the A320.

Thanks again, I will continue to work on this to see if I can find some type of improvement. There are actually times when the visuals are better, so I will hold out some hope things will improve. The virtual hands do work great....!

I have been learning some more things today. While watching YouTube videos concerning the VR Headsets I realize there is a sweet spot in all the headsets. I have been trying to use that more and have settings which seem to make things less fuzzy. I do seem to be getting a "Glimmer" over the instruments. Maybe I am using too high a video quality.

I realize if the batteries are low in the controller, it may drop offline more often.

My new video card has LEDs to indicate temperature. Using those, it seems running the program on the desktop uses more GPU power that it does when running in VR. Because of the claims that VR needs more processing power, I am having a hard time understanding this situation. The Headset does use HDMI while the Monitor uses Display Port, if that might be involved.

The hands seem to be working fine with the Odyssey.

Thanks..

I have now gone through two days of making adjustments to the display settings. It seems there are three places where such settings might be.

Windows Mixed Reality, although I have no way of know what effect they have on the game.

SteamVR where there is a Developers listing with some options.

The game itself and its VR options.

I have found nothing which showed any signs of improving the visuals in the game. I was playing with the A320, which behaves a little differently than I am used to, and I could not read the messages popping up on the glass, which were important. I saw a post on the Steam site where it was mentioned the Vibe also have a "sweet spot" and the surrounding graphics deteriorated rapidly.

I suppose, if you want to use the current VR offerings, then fine. It seems to work in some type of games but ones that require good visuals, maybe not. I was going to purchase the new Vibe Pro, but maybe I should wait until something changes.

Thanks to all who responded.

Thomas, I don't seem to have any control over how the video is displayed in the headset except for the VR settings in the program. My current system is using 144 Hz but the prior system was running 60 Hz. No difference has been noticed. Even wearing glasses makes no difference.

Pilot in command, the control of the sim is not a problem. I am referring to the graphic presentation.

Thanks Ken, before I started this I was reading your comments about graphic adjustments. The sim's performance is perfectly smooth, it is the video of the instruments I have a problem with. If I get really close, they become clear...

I have tried the Beta before without help but will try it again tomorrow. The panel on the 737 and the A320 I tried are just as fuzzy.

What this tells me, after upgrading Motherboard, processor, memory and doubling the performance of the GPU, the problem is something over which I have no control. Perhaps it is something else but I would like to try without Steam involved, but I don't think that is possible with the Odyssey headset.

Since the new Vibe Pro has the same resolution as the Odessey, would even that help. Is anyone, currently with any VR Headset, getting a clear VR picture of the instruments. The view on the monitor in the VR window is also clear. I am currently running the Win 10 Preview build 17133 which you might see on April 10th. It behaves the same as the normal public Win 10 version, except the mouse cursor is freezing.

Other games seem to be OK, probably because they do not require the type of graphics a flight sim does... But from what I have seen, it may be several more years before VR really becomes usable...

Thanks all..

Well, system completely upgraded.. GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB memory, the works. The VR video has still not improved, not even one little bit.

I am wondering, since the resolution on the Samsung VR Headset is 3200x1440 if it could be related to mismatched resolutions since I am running on Windowed mode but the monitor is 2560x1080.

Or could it be going through Steam is causing the problem and using a DVD install, without going through Steam might make a difference. But will the Samsung Odyssey run in VR with the DVD version.

Pretty frustrated at this point. The Sim flies fine but the visuals being so bad I just can't keep using the VR.

Thanks

Just to make some observations since I got most of my new system. All observations were made from the configuration below.

New motherboard with 8th generation processor.

New install of Windows Insider build 17128, which is or is close to the one to be released to the public next month.

GTX 980, for now.

Aircraft 737.

HMD Odyssey VR headset

Not using SteamVR beta

Just some general things so far.

Feedback is being received from the controllers. Now wondering about battery life.

Still making every effort to keep both controllers in the field of view to keep then from losing accuracy. I have asked Samsung community as to the availability of an external tracker but that option does not currently seem to be available.

I am making a greater effort to look through the sweet spot in the center of the viewer, which does help with instrument clarity. Possibly the Video card upgrade in a few days will help.

I was flying a route from point A to point B and during the climb, the throttles went to idle several times for no reason I could see. The aircraft stopped its climb several times without a reason I could determine and it seemed to happen at around 12,000 feet on the way to 25,000 feet. These situations never happened when using my old system. The throttle reduction and climb deviations did not seem to be related.

Right now I will say the biggest problem with the Hands and the Odyssey headset is the loss of controller position accuracy.

Thanks for reading.

You can help the VR clarity some by using super-sampling. The latest SteamVR beta will auto-set the SS value based on your graphics card (it set mine to SS=1.72 for my GTX1080+Odyssey combo). You can check it under the SteamVR Settings > VIDEO section, just temporarily check the MANUAL box.

Ok, I have been playing with the settings in both the game and SteamVR. It does seem to be better and I can see a sweet band going horizontally which seems to be more clear which I can look through. I don't think I am running the Beta but I may be getting confused because in the SteamVR portal, there is a large screen with Beta on it but it appears to be a different room and not a VR version. I will check the site to see if I can run it.

I just finished another approach using just hands and keeping the controllers connected can be a problem when they disconnect at a critical time... Possibly this is related to my Bluetooth.

The resolution of the Odyssey, if you count both eyes is 3200x1440, does that sound about right? I suppose another reason the GTX 980 is having a problem performance wise. I was able to order the Video Card I wanted this morning. It will be here next week along with the new system so I will be testing the Win 10 Preview, which I have seen was having some problems with WMR and any other Beta I can find... ;)

I noticed yesterday there are some new options for views, altitude, and C/P on the right side of the 737 sim... Are all airplanes seeing that same thing? I haven't tried the F 16 yet but I bet it can be a lot of fun..

Thanks for the reply

My system seems to work pretty well but of course there are some occasional problems. Like looking down to change a VOR frequency the hand may not be able to reach all the way down for some reason. Perhaps it is the where each controller is in the FOV.

There are some critical times, like raising the gear where trying to fly with hands and reaching across cockpit to raise the gear can get exciting.

Since I am fairly new to this, I had to understand some things. Such as the pads on the Odyssey control flight controls and brakes. If you let your fingers hit those, the airplane can do strange things.

Just finding out that pushing down on the left thumbstick puts you in the SteamVR portal and holding down the left pad for 3 seconds puts you into the Aerofly menu, helps greatly. I am hoping one day the flight info will be incorporated so it can be access from within the simulation.

My problem right now is clarity of instruments in VR mode. I am working on that but I have limited my use due to eye strain.. The Saitek X52 works great and the instruments are very clean in normal mode...