Posts by TomC RLG

Looks good but I'm not clear exactly what files I need to actually download to add Lake Placid and it's surrounds (I already have the NYC dlc and NYC autogen). Do I download the original Lake Placid download from Verserage then add all the files from IZOUB. Then where do I place these in my Document\aerofly fs2\ folder? Sorry but I'm still kinda new at importing user scenery. I did not have any problems with all the Hawaii Island and Apollo 50 scenery. These are all work great and add a lot to fs2, esp. in VR. Thanks.

Thanks Jan, clear as mud, lol!

Since everything seems to be working fine right now I think I'll just leave everything as is. A few seconds of faster loading time and better flight planning (which I do not use right now) is not worth it to me imho. Thanks anyway for your detailed explanation though mate. Cheers.

PHNL is in the database. If you use the user made scenery you should delete the PHNL entry in TSC in the buildings folder where it should not have been entered at all. And then edit the airport TSC file rename the PHNL1 to PHNL as it should be. Then the airport is much more visible on the location map since it is correctly identified.

Additionally you should move all scenery airports into a subfolder "airports".

The default user scenery does not do that, which slows Aerofly down at startup.

I always get a bit confused where to add user scenery (that includes airports) like Hawaii. I currently place them in my user/document/Aerofly FS2/addons/scenery Folder. Should I be making an airport folder in this addons folder and move things over to it? Thanks.

Hi Tomfa, Jan deleted my post too, I was being supportive and I think my quote of remarks from a different post which we all think were offensive, was behind the deletion. Your post had similar elements. I do not think Jan was being negative to either of us.

I can see how tiresome many very similar update enquiries must be for Jan, it must be hard to take the thankfully very rare comments that turn outright nasty. He makes very many helpful replies here for us at all hours and on major public holidays and during weekends.

Perhaps we can all recognise that real update information from Torsten or Jan only comes out close to the release time. I don't think moaning from us will change things.

Again in keeping with the original post;

I also love Aerofly FS2 and I think it's a great flight sim, especially in VR, which I mainly use. With new freeware animated scenery like Hawaii (parts 1-3) and other recent addons, including heli's, I think it is becoming a force to be reckoned with. With the original launch of fs2 I did not think it was very good btw. Hopefully more flight sim guys (esp. VR ones like me) will recognise how far fs2 has come and consider it in the near future. I have already converted (or perverted?) a few of my xp11 VR flight sim buddies.

I do not think that there is any 'perfect' flight sim out there right now. There will always be pros/cons.

I also use X Plane 11.52 Vulkan in VR and I think it works well. Maybe a little better in VR with float planes and night time landings, ha-ha!

With both sims I think that their heli's (which I love to fly) all work very well. Usage-wise I'm probably about 50:50 between both of these flight sims.

So far I have avoided MSFS 2020 mainly because it does not include any stock heli's (although there is a new user created one). The MS developer has said that stock heli's will not be available till 2022. Also, I have not seen any examples of good VR performance, even with very high end pc's. I have a pretty high end pc (i9 9900k/rtx3090) and I don't think I'm going to be happy in VR at 30fps max (seems to be the norm) with my 90Hz Vive Pro headset. For me, 45fps is the minimum I need for smooth/stutter-free flight sims, esp. with low level heli flying.

Aside; I've see very little constructive criticism in this thread and I think that the current banter (I said, you said...) is potentially going to confuse newbie flight simmers. Maybe it should be closed? I am not a mod so this is only a suggestion. Flame suit on, lol!

Aside #2; Aerofly RC8 is a very good Radio Controlled (RC) flight sim and I currently think that it is much better than RealFlight 9.5, esp. in VR. However, it does benefit a lot with the RealFlight Spektrum Interlink DX Controller. Actually I've found that this controller also works very well with Aerofly FS2 and xp11.

In keeping with the original post;

I also love Aerofly FS2 and I think it's a great flight sim, especially in VR, which I mainly use. With new freeware animated scenery like Hawaii (parts 1-3) and other recent addons, including heli's, I think it is becoming a force to be reckoned with. With the original launch of fs2 I did not think it was very good btw. Hopefully more flight sim guys (esp. VR ones like me) will recognise how far fs2 has come and consider it in the near future. I have already converted (or perverted?) a few of my xp11 VR flight sim buddies.

I do not think that there is any 'perfect' flight sim out there right now. There will always be pros/cons.

I also use X Plane 11.52 Vulkan in VR and I think it works well. Maybe a little better in VR with float planes and night time landings, ha-ha!

With both sims I think that their heli's (which I love to fly) all work very well. Usage-wise I'm probably about 50:50 between both of these flight sims.

So far I have avoided MSFS 2020 mainly because it does not include any stock heli's (although there is a new user created one). The MS developer has said that stock heli's will not be available till 2022. Also, I have not seen any examples of good VR performance, even with very high end pc's. I have a pretty high end pc (i9 9900k/rtx3090) and I don't think I'm going to be happy in VR at 30fps max (seems to be the norm) with my 90Hz Vive Pro headset. For me, 45fps is the minimum I need for smooth/stutter-free flight sims, esp. with low level heli flying.

Aside; I've see very little constructive criticism in this thread and I think that the current banter (I said, you said...) is potentially going to confuse newbie flight simmers. Maybe it should be closed? I am not a mod so this is only a suggestion. Flame suit on, lol!

Aside #2; Aerofly RC8 is a very good Radio Controlled (RC) flight sim and I currently think that it is much better than RealFlight 9.5, esp. in VR. However, it does benefit a lot with the RealFlight Spektrum Interlink DX Controller. Actually I've found that this controller also works very well with Aerofly FS2 and xp11.

I don't think you can easily do this The sound files are tbs format and would need to produced with a sound editor, then tied back into the rc8 sound folder. Actually all the sounds in RC8 seem pretty good to me so this is not necessary for me anyway.

looking to get Aerofly 8 and was wondering if I could use my radiomaster TX16s on the sim? And also is one better than the other to use the trainer jack to connect or is there more benefit to using S.Bus receiver with the sim? thanks

I don't have that Tx but I thought it had a gamepad/joystick mode via USB. If it does then I would certainly prefer to use it that way. See this link.

https://steamcommunity.com/app…ns/0/2789369351339480511/

Personally I use the RealFlight Spektrum Interlink DX controller. It's usb plug-and-play w/win10. Works great with RC8 (and many other sims like AF FS2).

With Vulcan I do not seem to have any problems starting with landmarks on or off, then switching between the two in flight. This is with a nvidia gpu so maybe this is yet another amd gpu issue, who knows?

So, maybe today's new patch has helped, but honestly I never noticed this before.

Does it also work for mobile versions?

Should work as long as you can pair it beforehand to your mobile device. I think it needs to be a Bluetooth capable controller like the Xbox One.

Here's the kiddie version, lol!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Update on Quest (v25) with Link.

My Quest 1 updated to v25 today and I found that RC8 was unplayable with Vulkan (lots of screen stuttering). Worked fine with OpenGL though. I'm pretty sure this is an Oculus Link bug since this does not happen with my Rift cv1 with Vulkan. I did not seem to have any problems with my Q1 with link running FS2 in Vulkan.

There seems to be a lot of bugs in the latest Quest v25 update. Hopefully Oculus will sort these out soon. No big deal for me since I mainly use my Vive Pro with all my sims anyway and it works perfect.

Yes, as long as win10 recognises it as a joystick it will work fine. You just need to connect the controller beforehand and then startup fs2. Under settings you can go to controllers and you should see it's available, with default settings. You may need to mod these to suit. Works ok but it's not something that I would recommend. You are better to go with flight sticks. I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X Joystick For PC & PS3 and it works pretty well and is not very expensive.

Please do a bit more google research on VR with mac's. If you want good PCVR you really need a good win10 gaming PC imho. Steam games that support mac's only do so with a monitor, not VR.