Posts by TomC RLG

looking to get Aerofly 8 and was wondering if I could use my radiomaster TX16s on the sim? And also is one better than the other to use the trainer jack to connect or is there more benefit to using S.Bus receiver with the sim? thanks

I don't have that Tx but I thought it had a gamepad/joystick mode via USB. If it does then I would certainly prefer to use it that way. See this link.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/889040/dis…69351339480511/

Personally I use the RealFlight Spektrum Interlink DX controller. It's usb plug-and-play w/win10. Works great with RC8 (and many other sims like AF FS2).

With Vulcan I do not seem to have any problems starting with landmarks on or off, then switching between the two in flight. This is with a nvidia gpu so maybe this is yet another amd gpu issue, who knows?

So, maybe today's new patch has helped, but honestly I never noticed this before.

Does it also work for mobile versions?

Should work as long as you can pair it beforehand to your mobile device. I think it needs to be a Bluetooth capable controller like the Xbox One.

Here's the kiddie version, lol!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Update on Quest (v25) with Link.

My Quest 1 updated to v25 today and I found that RC8 was unplayable with Vulkan (lots of screen stuttering). Worked fine with OpenGL though. I'm pretty sure this is an Oculus Link bug since this does not happen with my Rift cv1 with Vulkan. I did not seem to have any problems with my Q1 with link running FS2 in Vulkan.

There seems to be a lot of bugs in the latest Quest v25 update. Hopefully Oculus will sort these out soon. No big deal for me since I mainly use my Vive Pro with all my sims anyway and it works perfect.

Yes, as long as win10 recognises it as a joystick it will work fine. You just need to connect the controller beforehand and then startup fs2. Under settings you can go to controllers and you should see it's available, with default settings. You may need to mod these to suit. Works ok but it's not something that I would recommend. You are better to go with flight sticks. I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X Joystick For PC & PS3 and it works pretty well and is not very expensive.

Craig, VR is not for everyone, esp. if you are prone to epilepsy, lol! Just kidding. Maybe you just need to climatize to VR a bit more and maybe make check your headset fit/placement. Maybe it's too loose?

Cheers for the detailed reply, I'm not at the pc now so can't check th frame rate in 2d but will tonight, one thing I can't understand is if the gpu and cpu were struggling why wouldn't the the gpu be maxed out instead of 33% and I would expect the fans to ramp up with a thermal warning (like a torture test).

BTW what does a gpu that's VR ready actually mean? Is there something that one card does that an older one doesn't?

So, did you find out anything?

To be honest it's kinda hard to fully understand what you mean mate. I cannot say for sure but it sounds like when you turn your head too quickly the image in front of you blurs a bit, until you slow down or stop. The same thing probably happens when you apply fast yaw (rudder) to the outside world with your head still. If this is the case then it's certainly not over performing, nor is that ever likely going to be the case with VR, lol!

The cause and cure are dependant on you PC system and your settings. I wish people would add PC specs to these kind of threads.

In general, I would guess (all I can do) that your framerates are a bit too low for the headset refresh rate you've chosen to use. While it depends on how strong your PC is, I suggest that with your Quest 2 and Link that you initially avoid using OTT or ODB. Go into your Oculus desktop app and with your Q2 connected with Link go to device settings for your Q2, graphics quality, and select 72Ghz refresh rate and Auto rendering (1.0) to start off with. Then try FS2 in VR again and check how things look. Press ctrl+F1 to toggle fps readings (will only be shown on your monitor, so just peek to see this).

If your PC is strong enough so you can maintain at least 72fps with this 72Hz refresh rate then things should look pretty good and smooth. If you still have headroom, try increasing your Q2 refresh rate to 80Hz (not much improvement going to 90Hz with flight sims imho). If you still have headroom try increasing your Oculus desktop rendering to 1.3x and/or go to your FS VR settings and increase SS (top slider) a little bit at a time.

If your PC is not strong enough to maintain 72fps in VR set to 72Hz refresh rate then you will need to use OTT and use a game profile to set asw = 45fps forced (= 36fps if you have Q2 refresh to 72Hz, 40fps set to 80Hz) and this will also disable asw (which I think works best with low level heli flying, otherwise you get too many wavy artifacts).

Anyway, give this a go and let us know how you make out. Good luck and cheers.

Cheers for the detailed reply, I'm not at the pc now so can't check th frame rate in 2d but will tonight, one thing I can't understand is if the gpu and cpu were struggling why wouldn't the the gpu be maxed out instead of 33% and I would expect the fans to ramp up with a thermal warning (like a torture test).

BTW what does a gpu that's VR ready actually mean? Is there something that one card does that an older one doesn't?

GPU % loading can be a bit misleading. Often win10 task manager does not report this accurately and of course it needs to be measured under load, not just at idle. You can use free software like GPU-Z to get much more accurate numbers (load, freq, and temp).

Low gpu usage can also be due to a poor CPU that cannot keep up and this is called bottlenecking. Again free software like CPU-Z can help measure your CPU activity (core use and temps).

Another factor is poor cooling. If your temps get a bit high you may get thermal overloads which will then throttle back both your cpu and gpu performance.

Another performance killer is not having a high enough rated pc power supply (psu), and/or one that is old and clapped out. For the min specs I suggested you want at least a 500W psu, preferable higher.

All a bit more complex and while it's nice to measure these things, the most important thing is the net result. Unfortunately, I kinda doubt that you are going to get that with your current PC. It will probably work fine with simpler VR games like Ultrawings though.

VR Ready 'anything' is a meaningless marketing tag imho. You need to do your own research into what components work best for good VR. Even Oculus min specs are not always a very good guide. VR apps (esp. sims) are getting more complex all the time so you need the best hardware to get good results.

Anyway, this is about all the advice I can give you mate. It's up to you to do a lot more research imho.

Unfortunately your pc is a bit underpowered for good RC8 VR. Also, a Quest w/Link actually works your gpu harder than a dedicated pcvr headset like the Rift S. What FPS do you get if you just run RC8 on your monitor (non--VR)? There is an option on the RC8 top right menu to show FPS. As a VERY rough guide, if you are not seeing at least 500fps in 2d (turn off any vsyc or frame limiting options btw) then I don't like your chances with it in VR.

If you want to try to see the max you can get out of your Q2 I suggest you do not use OTT for now. When you are connected with link go to you Oculus desktop app device, click on your Q2 icon, go to quality settings and select 72Hz refresh rate and auto quality (1.0). This should max your Q2 performance.

In RC8 graphics setting, start off with mainly defaults and chose low quality graphics to start. Water and trees def take extra PC power so def leave them on low (trees maybe even off). With your Oculus app set to 72Hz you want to target 72fps with RC8 in order to avoid ghosting and stutter. I'm not sure you are going to be able to achieve this with your PC specs. I think for good VR you probably need at least a rtx2060 and i5 9600k. If you cannot afford this then you probably need to be content using RC8 on your monitor. It's still a very good RC sim in 2D imho.

Anyway, let us know how you make out. Good luck mate. Cheers.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will send an email now :) btw is there any way to prevent the double ghosting image when using the VR headset? I have changed every setting to low and my graphics card (970 ti) is only working at 33% so not even labouring and yet the plane is stuttering as soon as i take off.

Maybe this is for a new tread, apologise if so.

Regards,

Brendan.

Ya, once you get a bit more experience with RC8 in VR and read through the manual and search this forum a bit more, maybe start a separate RC8 with Quest 2 thread. I have a few tips but do not want to pollute this thread. I would be a good idea to list your pc specs (at least cpu, gpu, ram, psu, gpu driver) and whether you are using your Q2 w/Link or wireless w/Virtual Desktop. I have tried using my Q1 both ways and it works fine (almost as good as with my Rift cv1) but I still prefer to run all my sims with my Vive Pro.

Aside; I think it's very good that ipacs is prepared to give you a Steam code since it's a much more convenient way to keep RC8 updated and/or install it on a different PC. Also, Steam apps lets you run these on your other PC's as long as you are logged in, but you can only run then one at a time. This is good if you have a laptop that you may sometimes use for travel. Right now you need to purchase a 2nd licence in order to do this with the original download or dvd versions. I have the Original download version and I may request a Steam code as well. Just make sure it includes the Basic version plus both addons since this is what the full original Download and DVD versions includes.

It still would be much more useful if you broke down the aircraft and included sceneries included in the Steam basic version like you've done with the DCL's. For example, dlc pack 1;

INCLUDED AIRCRAFT

Aerobatic aircraft:

• Amethyst
    • Avila
    • Curare
    • Curare Nitro
    • EDGE 540 arTistic
    • Edge 540T
    • E-flite UMX Beast
    • Elanor
    • Extra 260
    • Extra 330 S
    • EXTRemA 330S
    • Miss Wind S Pro
    • Obsession
    • Pitts Python
    • Ultimate
    • Velox Revolution 2
    • Visa

Gliders:

• Albatros XXL
    • Alpina 4001
    • Balmung-Mini
    • Discus 2CT
    • Dynamic 160
    • Elektro-Taser
    • Freedom Glider
    • Intention
    • Junior S
    • Merlin
    • Minimach
    • Prolution 4004
    • Pulsar 3200
    • Puri
    • Raketenwurm
    • Satori
    • Storm
    • Surprise 14
    • Xeno

Helicopters:

• BK 117
    • Blade 300X
    • Blade 400
    • Blade 450X
    • Caliber 5
    • Caliber 90
    • CH-46
    • Eagle Freya
    • Gaui X7
    • Goblin 500
    • Goblin 700
    • Goblin 770
    • Hirobo SDX 50
    • Logo 500 SE
    • Logo 600
    • Raptor 50
    • Shark
    • SOXOS 600
    • SOXOS 700
    • TDS
    • ThreeDee MP XL-E
    • ThreeDee Rigid
    • ThunderTiger Mini Titan V2
    • T-Rex 450
    • T-Rex 700
    • T-Rex 700e
    • Turbulence D3
    • Vibe 50
    • Vision 90

Jets:

• Futura 190
    • Hornet EDF
    • Jet Illusion DF45
    • Ultra Bandit

Quadcopters, Hexacopters, Octacopters:

• B car
    • EHANG184
    • HoverCar
    • Phantom 4 Pro
    • Phantom Quadrocopter
    • QC100
    • Typhoon 4K
    • UFO
    • Xiro Explorer

Gyrocopters:

• AC-10
    • Auto-G2
    • Vertigo

Other:

• Calmato 40
    • Cam-Flyer Q
    • Cap 10
    • Dogfighter
    • Evo Next
    • Flettner
    • Funracer
    • Maja
    • Slofun

INCLUDED SCENERY

• Aspach (Baden-W., Germany)
    • Ayers Rock (N. Territory, Australia)
    • Ayutthaya (Thailand)
    • Bendern (Liechtenstein)
    • Carrier (4D)
    • Friedrichshafen (Indoor-Scenery, Baden-W., Germany)
    • Golden Gate (California, USA)
    • Herrieden Stadel (Bavaria, Germany)
    • Las Vegas (Nevada, USA)
    • Olsen Stadium (Iowa, USA)
    • Parker Mountain (California, USA)
    • Racecourse (4D)
    • The Thumb (Arizona, USA)
    • Tyson Stadium (Indoor-Scenery, Iowa, USA)
    • Venice R/C Fliers (Florida, USA)
    • Vohenstrauss (Bavaria, Germany)
    • Weldon (California, USA)
    • Wöllaner Nock (Kärnten, Austria)
    • Wurmlingen (Baden-W., Germany)

Quick question, can all scenery and models (including the base game and both DLCs) be played in VR with the same quality that we see on monitor?

I'm just asking that because on Real Flight 9.5 the graphics are beautiful on the monitor, and when you switch to VR most of them, like water, loses al the texture and becomes flat color stuff.

Like everything VR, a monitor will always look better but nowhere near as immersive. The water quality with RC8 in VR is very good (unlike RF9.5 in VR, which I also have). PCVR with RC8 is much better than RF9.5 imho.

famaral: Yes, all sceneries and models are the same in VR. Keep in mind however, that our 4D sceneries are best for VR, the photo sceneries might not give you the same depth perception.

Yes, for good VR you only want to use the 4D flying fields imho. Esp. if you want to change the camera views to enjoy a bit of VR sightseeing. I love flying around and exploring places like Norrison Island!

Just a couple of quick questions before I recommend this steam version to a VR friend of mine;

1) List of aircraft, including heli's, that are included in the basic pack?

2) List of 4D fields included in the basic pack? Based on reviewing the Steam DLC's it appears that only the Racecourse and Carrier 4D are missing from the basic pack (compared to my full Ikarus download version).

Thanks, and good luck with your Steam sales. I think it's going to sell very well. Cheers.