Posts by TomC RLG

One thing to try is to go to your Win10 devices and printers. Select your controller and right click on it to get to a calibrate mode. After this, try calibrating it in RC8 again. Also, some controllers do not have very good centering to begin with. Try adding 20-30% expo (in your Tx and / or RC8 advanced controller setup).

If there is a constant flight error maybe try editing the model to shift the CG accordingly (eg. If it has strong nose down, try moving the CG rearward. Good luck and cheers mate.

Edit; I find that my Spektrum Interlink DX controller work perfectly with RC8 and highly recommend it.

I bought an RC simulator on Steam.

I think this is not a good idea. Loading is very long: launching Steam + frequent updates then launching the simulator.

Aerofly FS2 from Steam seems to work well for me. I'm not sure about RC8 since I have the digital download from the Ikarus shop. but I don't think there will be much, if any, downsides to the Steam version of RC8. In general, I favour Steam versions because it's much more convenient and easier to reinstall if necessary. Each to their own I guess.

UPDATE;

I've ended up uninstalling RC8 (as per the instructions on the RC8 website) and then reinstalled RC8. Then updated to the current version 45.01 and then activated it. All I needed to do then was recalibrate/setup my Spektrum Interlink DX controller, which only took a few minutes.

Anyway, now all works great and I can now use Vulkan with both my Vive Pro and Oculus Rift cv1 headsets. Maybe multiple RC8 updates (also win10 and nvidia updates) ended up corrupting a file or two. Who knows?

I think I'll just stick with this version for now, lol!

Sorry, you were talking about RC8 Vulkan support, we got that mixed up. We have fixed the Vulkan issue with RC8 internally and are preparing an update now. Drop us an email at mail(at)ipacs.de so we can provide you with a pre release update.

Thanks for that. I've e-mailed you a request for the update. Also thanks to Jet-Pack for modifying the title to make it more clear that this was only a RC8 issue. Thanks again to you both and cheers.

Yes working with Vulcan. Not at my desktop just now so cannot check version numbers.

Just set Oculus app to beta if it does not work for you can always go back.

Mick

OK, tried Oculus v25ptc but this still did not work with rc8 in Vulkan. Not sure why my Rift cv1 works fine with Aerofly FS2 with Vulkan but not RC8? Glad it's working fine for you though.

No real big deal because I mainly use my Vive Pro with both these sims and it works fine with Vulkan. Cheers.

Using Oculus rift S for Aerofly works fine for me with driver 461.33.

Had to change to the beta of the oculus app. which is how I have vr working in both Aerofly and msfs.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Thanks Mick, I'll give Oculus v25ptc a go with my Rift cv1. Just to confirm, this allowed you to run rc8 with its graphics setting set to Vulkan and High AA, not just the default OpenGL. Thanks mate.

TomC RLG : What do yoo mean by 'not working'. Does Aerofly FS crash? Could we see the tm.log of such a failed attempt?

Actually seems to work now with my Vive Pro but still not my Oculus Rift cv1. The program does not crash, it just does not display anything in the headset, but it does still display on my monitor and the view changes as I move my headset. Again, this is not a problem with Vulkan with Aerofly FS2 in VR.

Please find attached a tm file I saved after trying this with my Oculus Rift cv1. Thanks.

tm2.log

I have been using the Vulkan api (with high AA) for quite some time in VR with both my Rift cv1 and Vive Pro. I have preferred this over OpenGL because it gives me slightly better visuals (less shimmering). I have been using nvidia driver 446.14 but since I'm getting ready to upgrade my gtx1080ti to a nice new rtx3090 I thought I'd better update my driver to the latest series 3000 driver 461.33. I use DDU to uninstall beforehand.

Now Vulkan will not work on either headset. OpenGL works ok though. All my other Vulkan based apps like Aerofly fs2 and X plane 11.51r1 work fine with the latest driver. So, maybe RC8 needs a Vulkan update? Thanks.

Edit; Vulkan works fine in 2D mode on my monitor, just not in VR.

VR touring of Oahu is really nice! I ran the first performance bat file (0-VR PC) since I have a GTX1080.

Ya, in VR I also found that the 0-vr pc bat worked best with my gtx1080ti. This let me go to Ultra on everything except buildings = high, and shadows and trees = low. Using Vulcan and hi AA btw.

With my Vive Pro I was able to go to 100% pixel density (~2100x2100 = about to the same as the HP G2 native res). With my Rift cv1 I was able to use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) and set SS to 1.5 with asw = off.

With your Odyssey + you may need to adjust these setting. Even medium fs2 settings looks very good and dropping shadow and tree density down to low seemed to make a big improvement in all cases I tried.

Thanks for the kind words!

In regards to Animation around Meigs.

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…igs-field-kcgx/

Wow, that Chicago animation is fantastic. Really helps make this sim feel more realistic and immersive in VR. Many thanks.

Another quick question. How do I get VR landing lights with FS2 heli's? No matter what I try I do not seem to be able to turn them on. Makes night flying a little more challenging unless I land in a well lit area. Thanks again mate.

Edit; OK I see that while landing lights can turn on, they just don't illuminate the surrounding environment. No big deal since I usually prefer dawn and dusk heli flying rather than pitch dark anyway.

Thanks guys, I'll try these other heli's out soon. For now, I'm too busy with my R22. I love its VR visibility and I think it feels a bit more realistic than most of my xp11 heli's. You really need to fly it properly when taking off and landing (= more fun).

Found a nice little Easter egg along Waikiki beach btw (large colourful hanging banner with developer credits). I'm sure that there's lots of other cool things to find on Oahu.

I also bought the Chicago Meigs field addon. I've always loved that field. Maybe one day it will be recommissioned. Nice to see a few animations but not nearly as well done as Oahu imho. Maybe there are some simple addon animations for Meigs I can download?

Given the quality of Oahu, I'm feeling the need to donate, lol!

I originally bought FS2 2.5 years ago on a Steam sale but I was not very impressed, esp. since there were no heli's. So I got a refund and went back to xp11.

After looking at this Oahu scenery addon, plus the fact that FS2 now has 2x heli's, I decided to buy/try this again (not even on a Steam sale, lol!). After a full day of flying a R22 around Oahu I gotta say I'm very glad I gave FS2 another go.

Many thanks to the developers of the scenery and of course FS2 developers as well. I'm having a ball with this now. Cheers.

I don't have a mac but I thought that the mac version needed to be bought from the Apple Store. If that's the case then I doubt you can get a free windows copy. Maybe best to contact rc8 support and ask them. Good luck mate.