Posts by TomC RLG

You can force Vulkan if you edit your documents/rc8/config/ base.mcf file and make Vulkan = true. If you have Vulkan capability it should load the rf8 Vulkan shaders ok (look at your tm.log file after to see this is the case). I have tested this and while it works fine in both VR and non-VR modes I saw slightly lower fps performance and VR images seemed a little blurry. I ended up going back to Vulkan = false which took me back to OpenGL 4.5 and this works great.

So, like admin says, Vulkan for rc8 is still very experimental and I would not recommend trying it right now.

I'm not sure but I think Vulkan may be more useful on higher resource demand flight sims like Aerofly FS2 or X-Plane 11. For me, OpenGL 4.5 seems to work very well with rc8 for VR and non-VR and it's surprisingly not very resource hungry. Even with high graphics setting (not Ultra though) and 1.3x ss I'm able to maintain 90fps in VR. In non-VR my framerates go through the roof (+500-1000fps) yet I do not see any screen tearing. I also really like that rc8 only seems to take up less than 10gb disk storage on my ssd drive, or almost the same as Realflight 8, and ~1/3 as much as RFX (~30gb). For comparison (but not apples to apples) XP11 with stock aircraft and stock world scenery takes up ~80gb, lol!

Yes, this seems to have fixed the win8 compatibility issue and my log file (see attached) now properly shows win10. Also seems to remember my VR fullscreen settings now. Also, does not crash if you select US units in general settings but the only units that seem to get changed for metric to US is the vario (shift+v). The speed (shift+s) still shows up as metric (km/hr). Also, I am still having some difficulty in starting up VR with my Oculus Rift by just using the rc8 VR shortcut. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. Also, I still do not see any Beta Vulcan options even though my gtx1080ti card and latest nvidia drivers (417,34) support this. No big deal since OpenGL (4.5) seems to work well anyway. Thanks for the update and I hope that you are able to sort out why rc8 crashes sometimes happens during Oculus startup. Thanks.

tm.log

We are currently looking into this. Please keep in mind here, users in this specific thread here report actually two different issues, so don't mix this up please.

On our various Windows 10 test machines, we can simply start Aerofly RC 8 in VR mode by choosing the correct start option in the Windows program group. Aerofly RC 8 automatically loads the Oculus VR app and switches to VR mode.

Also when Windows Font scaling is active in Windows 10, we can properly choose fullscreen mode.

We just need to find out why Windows decides to run aerofly RC 8 in compatibility mode on a few customer machines.

Yes you are correct, there are a few extra issues mixed into this thread. Maybe because some like me think they may be interrelated. These seem to me to be;

- inability to change video resolution

- startup problems with Oculus Rift, and

- rc8 running in win8 compatibility mode

I'll try to briefly address each of these.

For me, I do not have any problems changing video resolutions between windowed and fullscreen. My default monitor setting is 1920x1080 (= 1080p). The only problem I have is that with my Oculus Rift the fullscreen setting is not remembered and I need to remind it by adjusting it in the startup settings view settings. If I do not do this then I cannot see the full RC8 menus later. For me, this is no big deal.

If you startup your pc without previously using Oculus Home then select the RC8 VR-mode shortcut (with -othervr in it's properties) then it all starts up fine. Albeit you may need to hit the space bar to centre your VR view. If you try to startup rc8 in VR when you have previously used another Oculus Rift app then it will crash. Also, if you try to use Oculus Home after exiting rc8 then you may get an error message saying that your Oculus Server is not connected. This is not big deal for me because Oculus will then restart and all will be fine (except for restarting rc8). I have found a workaround to this. After using Oculus home with your touch controllers you need to close the Oculus app, then bring up win10 task manager, go to services, right click on ovr runtime, select stop. After it is stopped, right click and start it again. then restart RC8 and all should be ok. Pretty simple, lol! I might as well also add that the audio switcher for RC8 does not work. If you want to hear sounds through your Rift headphones you need to select/change your Win10 taskbar audio setting from your PC speakers to your Rift headset prior to staring up rc8. Actually, I would not recommend doing this because the audio seems to very quickly go from both headphones to all right or left and this is kind of annoying. There does not seem to be any proper doppler effect like there is in other apps.

The Win8 compatibility issue seems to me to be a common problem with all tm.log files I have seen so far. I'm really not sure if this causes any other problems (like no Vulcan beta options) but in any case it should not be happening if rc8 has been designed for win10 to begin with. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon.

So, I will try not to mix these issues into this thread from now on and I will discuss my Oculus Rift VR startup issues in more detail later in my Oculus Startup Procedures thread. With a few current workarounds I am really enjoying RC8 in VR. Thanks Ikarus!

Hi Loris, I think the 3d heli flight physics are pretty good with rc8. I do not have rc7 but the heli physics seem to be as good as with my Realflight 8 sim. My only complaint is that the tail blades are not visible inflight with rc8.

Also, there is no night time flight options With rc8 like there are with rf8.

Here is another tm.log file to show what happens when I try to startup RC8 form my Oculus Home either from Oculus Home Desktop or Home Apps. Basically RC8 starts to load up ok then crashes. I then need to restart my PC and go through my 1st post's procedure to get RC8 to run in VR with my Oculus Rift. I don't know if this tm.log file will tell you anything but I thought I would include it anyway. You will see that it is still trying to run RC8 in Win8 compatibility mode.

tm.log

It is not running in compatibility mode for me. It's obviously just confused by the high DPI setting. Then again, as this isn't an issue for any other game or fullscreen application on this planet, the Aerofly developers must obviously call the wrong interfaces to get the actual screen resolution.

Oxdeadbeef, could you be so kind as to post your latest tm.log file so we can see that RC8 is not switching to win8 compatibility mode. Thanks.

As an aside, if I run the RC8 exe in win10 compatibility troubleshooter it recommends to use either win8 or vista plus updates compatibility settings. Still not sure why this is the case but I guess we will need to wait a little longer for RC8 support to sort this out. At least I still am able to work around this for now.

Today's small update did not change anything VR for me. I still need to follow this restrictive VR startup with my Rift or the program crashes. Still, when I do get it going in VR it's fantastic! Here's my latest log file if this helps. I've already sent this before to support but they have not got back to me with anything constructive yet.

tm.log

Yes, only in VR. My tm log file still shows this app trying to use win8 compatibility mode. My rc8 exe properties does not have compatibility mode checked, it never has. I still need to follow a pretty restrictive procedure to get it to start in VR with my Oculus Rift. Please refer to my earlier thread on this.

I solved this way: deleted the folder aerofly rc8 in documents,,, I restarted the game and I redid the activation ... now you can change the resolution

I did this (support suggest I do it a couple of days ago) but in VR mode it always starts in windowed mode. I still can change this to 1920x1080 though but it does not stick. It does stick ok in non-vr mode though.

For now, the only way I can start up rc8 in VR with my Oculus Rift is to follow this procedure;

- restart PC

- start up Oculus desktop app without wearing goggles and when it opens, minimise it

- start up rc8 (VR mode shortcut)

- place headset on normally

- wait for rc8 to load and start up

- hit space bar to centre view and change settings and/or start flying

The only setting I need to change every time is the graphics to 1920x1080 because it always defaults to Windowed and the problem is that if you want to change or modify aircraft you cannot see the whole menu in VR unless you are in full screen. Also I find it best to use the full screen view as opposed to the split screen view so you can sneak a peek at model modes and fps while you are flying in VR.

If I try to start up rc8 in VR mode any other way, including if I have previously run other apps in the Oculus Home, the program crashes. so, if I have been using Oculus Home for other apps I seem to need to restart my PC (win10 1809 btw) and then follow the procedure I listed above. After I exit rc8 everything else works fine in Oculus Home and/or with steam or independent apps. A bit of a pain to do this every time but at least it works. Hopefully this will get sorted out in the near future. They probably need to work with Oculus to check that everything is compliant with current Oculus updates.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of my fellow Oculus Rift VR flyers. Overall, I am really enjoying rc8 in VR.

I'm pretty sure rc7 models will not work because rc8 uses a newer graphics engine. Hopefully they will add more aircraft and 4D fields in the near future. For now, it's pretty hard to complain with the large number of aircraft included and the quality of the current 4D fields. Plus you can edit these for diff scale and some have diff colour schemes. All pretty impressive for a new launch imho.