Posts by TomC RLG

OK, ordered the upgrade from rc8 to rc9. I thought the upgrade cost was pretty reasonable (aud$68). I'll let you know how it works once I download and try it out. Looking forward to this. I've really enjoyed rc8 for the past 3 years. Cheers.

No, I'm not.

I agree, right now I think 20-30€ would be a good price for people who already have the FS2

Completely unrealistic expectation imho. Honestly. we need to support developers better than that. I own 3x major flight sims; af fs2, xp11, and msfs2020 and I'm happy to support all of these by paying full/fair price.

Xp12 will be out sometime next year and I expect it cost the same as xp11 (maybe a few $'s more). Plus it will essentially be in beta for the next year anyway.

Msfs2020 is still in beta (without any stock heli's) and probably will be until the end of 2022.

As a VR flight sim enthusiast I'm more than happy to support developers and 3rd parties that make significant contributions.

Could you please download the update again. We modifed the installer to install openvr_api.dll even if no VR is used on the system.

Aerofly RC 8 Update V08.01.09.03

Thanks, that worked great! I really like that the low shadows option actually gets rid of all shadows except the aircraft ground shadows. A lot less distracting in VR, for me anyway. Only small bug I found was that on the VR graphics options the top 2 items are squashed together a bit. You can still select and adjust them though.

Unfortunately, the Vukan beta option still does not work with my Oculus Quest 2 (Link and Air Link). No problem since OpenGL works very well anyway. Thanks for the update RC8 developers and cheers.

Personally I skip all dual rates and just apply Expo to all my controller surfaces with advanced controller settings. Applying 30% expo is about equal to 50% rates around centre stick but still allows full travel at full stick positions.

Your ws2000 dongle only supports 8 channels so you may need to make some changes in your dx6 Tx in order to honour some switches/axsis commands. Maybe have a look/google ws2000 setups with Realflight RC sim. These should be similar to what you may need to do with RC8.

I use a usb Spektrum Interlink dx controller with my win10 pc and this works very well with rc8. Not sure if it would work with a mac or not though. I have used a ws1000 dongle (older version of ws2000 but no real difference) in the past with my dx18 tx but found this a pita to setup and use.

Only these two advices : better install Runtime Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR and when starting in Steam don't choose Oculus, works better with "normal" AFS2 VR mode :

Kind regards

I'm just questioning you recommending that Windows Mixed Reality OpenVR be installed for Aerofly FS2. You do not need this with any VR headset and you do not need to use the WMR OpenXR with an Oculus headset. With the current v32 Oculus desktop app you just need to select OpenVR default on settings/beta tab. The only sim that currently utilises OpenXR is MSFS2020 and turning this on does not seem to have any effect with any of my other flight/racing sims.

The fact that there appears to be 3x versions of OpenVR also makes this a bit confusing right now; WMR OpenXR, Oculus OpenXR, and SteamVR (which is OpenXR compliant). Maybe it's use will become clearer in the future when more apps use OpenXR.

Anyway, no big deal. Maybe I'm just missing something that got lost in the translation, lol!

There should not be too many differences (refer to the aerofly website) but it seems that Steam versions tend to get updates a bit quicker. You may want to contact aerofly and see if you can transfer over to Steam. They may provide you with a Steam key to do this.

Thanks, must be a problem with my setup then. For some reason it still isn't working. I still get excellent performance without using Vulcan though so it's not exactly the end of the world.

I actually just tried this out again today and for some reason(s) FS2 Vulkan is not working again with my Q2 using Link or Air Link. Maybe because of a win10 update or the small addon to v31.1 update I got on my Q2 yesterday. Who knows, lol! Vulkan works fine started in SteamVR mode so no big deal for me. Also, for the most part I use my Vive Pro with most of my flight/racing sims.

A bit off topic but the Aerofly's RC sim RC8 also does not work in Vulkan (which is still beta in this sim) with my Q2 and I need to use the default OpenGL. Like FS2 vulkan it's fine with my Vive Pro.

Hi,

Just wondering if there's been any progress fixing the problem with Vulcan not working with the Quest 2. I reported the problem a few months ago and it seemed at the time that it was affecting other if not all Quest 2 users.

I have not had any problems for a while now (since v28, now v31) running my Steam version of FS2 Vulkan with my Q2 using either Air Link or official Link cable. Using Steam version with oculus runtime option. Prior to this I needed to startup with SteamVR runtime. Actually not much difference either way imho.

However, I was over at a friends house a couple of weeks ago and with his Q1 we found he needed to still use the SteamVR runtime. Both of us using latest nvidia driver 471.41.

Bellah1w I went from a gtx1080ti to a rtx3090 and I think it has been a significant improvement on everything. Especially with my wireless Quest 2 because the rtx2000/3000 havew much faster encoders. Your rtx2080ti is still a very good gpu imho. If you have money to burn go for a 3080ti or 3090. Either that, or wait for the nvidia 4000 series (2023-2024?). Personally, I'm hoping my 3090 tides me over until the 5000 series. I like to try to buy the best of any series then skip the next one.

VR works best in 4D sceneries and we even thought about limiting VR to these 3D rendered scenes only but decided not to.

In panoramic sceneries both eyes see the same background image and if you see the rc model in front of that background your head assumes it is as far away as the shadow it casts on the background. This visual illusion is tricking you into thinking that it's floating above the runway.

We could disable 3D all together in panoramic scenes but that defies the purpose of having VR in my opinion. It works great as long as you fly above you or if you can ignore the shadow or relation to the ground.

Ya, this is a pretty well known issue. It does not effect my VR enjoyment since the 4D flying fields are already very good. Maybe there should be a note somewhere that suggests that you will get the best results in VR using the 4D flying fields. I love RC8 in VR!

Hi Tom. I find in VR that if I open both eyes with an aircraft up to 50 feet away it looks to be out of perspective and hovering above the ground but with just the left or right eye open in VR it looks ok. Is there a setting to correct this?

Honestly, I do not see this issue with any aircraft in VR. If I hover a heli close in or far away it looks perfectly fine to me. This is with my Vive Pro, Quest 1, and Quest 2 VR headsets (all currently using the default OpenGL rendering). The only things I can suggest you do is adjust your headset's IPD and play around with your faceplate head placement. This should help keep the headset's sweet spot even between both eyes which should help. I don't know if any of the in-game graphics setting would cause this issue but you may want to contact RC8 support and ask them. I hope this helps. Good luck and cheers mate.

Edit; Also make sure that in VR you are using 4D flying fields. Using other fields will make aircraft float above ground surfaces close in. This is probably the cause of your problem. Cheers.

I have the direct download version and I think it’s great, especially in VR. Looks to me like the Steam basic plus dlc1 would give me the all I need and would cost a little less. Plus I could then also use it on other pc’s without needing another license.

Don’t believe every review you read on anything imho. With Steam you can find out for yourself and get a refund if you’re not happy with it (less than 2 hours use and less than 14 days since purchasing it).