Posts by TomC RLG

Sorry but I think that the Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) is a pretty poor choice for good PCVR. Been there and done that with my old Alienware 17r4 and gtx1080ti in an AGA. Originally with a Dell WMR headset btw. I ended up replacing this with an Oculus Rift cv1 and Vive Pro. I'll never go back to WMR ever again, lol!

First thing you need to do is make sure to use an external monitor and use win10 display settings to only display to it (not your laptop screen). Your best bet in the long term is to do what I did and build/buy a better desktop gaming PC (in my case, i9 9900k water cooled, 32Gb 3000 ram). I did this 2 years ago and moved my 1080ti into it and got about 2x the performance in PCVR than I did with it in my AGA in my 17r4 (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32Gb ram). I've now replaced it with a rtx3090 and of course am currently getting even better PCVR results with both my Vive Pro and Quest 2.

In any case, I kinda find it hard to believe that msfs2020 works very well in VR with a gtx1070. It does not even work very well with my rtx3090, lol! After a month of trying the Steam version of msfs in VR (Vive Pro and Quest 2) I have uninstalled it for now. Way too many large updates that do not seem to help much and a very poor user interface imho. I'll probably give it another go in the future when it matures and includes stock heli's.

I tried it too - ReShade_Setup_4.9.1

But now my VR doesn't start anymore, probably also because I've already exhausted pretty much everything in the game.

Maybe a stupid question now, but how do I get ReShade completely deleted from the simulator?

Thanks and best regards,

Dieter

Sorry but like I already said, I have not actually tried it. You are probably best to go to the forum link I provided and ask there. Maybe also try asking at the ReShade website. I would have thought that simply uninstalling Reshade would be all that is required. Maybe you can try a win10 Restore to a point prior to when you installed Reshade? Good luck mate.

Hi ,especially to you, higgs, for your videos; more can't be done.

Thanks also to ZoSoChile (Jake), for this observation concerning AMD components that can create some problems for me. I guess you know the difficulties of some AMD components with this HP Reverb G2 headset. If you observe that the components of my next PC could be undesirable, please let me know.

My PC. will be what follows in the next paragraph.

PC Gaming - Megaport Ordenador Gaming PC AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • GeForce RTX3060 12GB • 1TB M.2 High Performance SSD • 16GB DDR4 3000 • WLAN • Windows 10 • PC Gamer

I repeat: I thank you both for your impeccable help.

Kind regards: Delfin

For good VR I'd recommend staying away from AMD for now. I'd look at the latest 10 or 11 gen intel i7 or i9 cpu water cooled, on a Z490 or Z590 motherboard. so you can apply a little cpu overclock and keep your temps down.

Also, your G2 is a high res VR headset and I think you should look at a rtx3070, 3070ti, or 3080 gpu if you can afford it. Also, make sure you get a psu with enough grunt. Probably something like a corsair 750-850w gold. Also, stay away from small PC cases. A full size case will allow for much better cooling.

If you are going to get a new PCVR setup you want to be able to get at least a few years use before you need to upgrade it.

Maybe make sure your rc8 graphics settings are set to OpenGL. I find Vulkan a bit hit and miss right now with my Oculus headsets. Also, make sure your graphics settings are not too high. Esp. shadows (low for me) and water (med for me). Sorry, all I can suggest. If you cannot sort this out you are probably best to contact Support and ask them for help. They have always responded very well to all my queries. Good luck mate.

thanks for information, I will test it, at the moment we have nice weather and so I fly real 🤗

does 120 Hz also have an effect on Rc8? I thought the program must be developed, supported, again for 120 Hz?

I don't seem to have any problems maintaining 120fps with RC8 OpenGL. I've even got 1.5x in-game rendering (super sampling). I cannot say if it makes a lot of difference from 90Hz though. Maybe just a little smoother.

I have not measured Aerofly FS2 framerates yet, nor have I seen any reason to do so because it's soooo smooth. Even low level heli flying around Wakai Hawaii! Edit, found limiting framerates to 60fps using OTT (45fps fixed, which translates to 60fps fixed ar 120Hz) worked even smoother.

Please keep in mind that I do have a fairly beefy gaming PC (i9 9900k 5Ghz oc water cooled, RTX3090 no oc, 32gb 3000 ram, 1Tb ssd). Also, nice and smooth with X Plane 11.53 Vulkan as well (40fps low level heli flying in NYC).

No ASW (like motion smoothing) with either because I find it gives me too many artifacts like wavy building windows. Plus, I don't seem to need it anyway.

Overall, I'm amazed what a $299 Q2 headset can deliver with Air Link amd 120Hz refresh rate.

I may try it with MSFS2020 sometime in the future when it gets out of beta and includes stock heli's (2022?). I did buy it on Steam a couple of months ago but after a couple of weeks of playing around with it (including VR with my Vive Pro) I gave up and uninstalled it. Way too buggy and VR is really not very well optimised right now, nor does it seem to be a very high priority imho.

The latest Oculus app v29 now seems to work fine with my Quest 2 with the Oculus version of Aerofly FS2. Steam version that gives you the VR options for SteamVR and Oculus. Using Vulkan rendering and wireless with Air Link. Thanks to my rtx3090 the 120Hz refresh rate looks and works great. Unfortunately RC8 (RC sim) still is a bit buggy with Vulkan (occasional blackouts) but continues to work perfectly with OpenGL.

Can you more explain how to use RC8 with Vulcan and SteamVR, can't find this at Google.🤷 Is this a parameter from the RC8 exe?

If this is too hard to find, just continue to use OpenGL. Really not much difference between it and Vulkan with RC8 anyway imho.

Hi Hermann,

I have not tested with Vulkan, I knew there are issues with it.

the two simulators are equal in VR.

A preference for RF with photo realistic landscapes

You can run RC8 in Vulkan if you use SteamVR mode. Very easy to do, google is your friend. RF9.5 looks like a washed out pile of something with any Oculus headsets imho.

With both RC sims you need to use 3D fields for VR (or 4D in RC8 speak, lol!). Maybe better to post things after at least a few more days use/experience.

The improvements tend to come in big steps so it would not do any harm for us to be patient for a while. Work being done on one platform does not mean another has been abandoned.

Fully agree mate. If and when AF3 and xp12 are released I'll buy both of them in a flash.

The worst flight sim $'s I've ever spent has to be msfs2020, lol! I bought it from Steam and used it for a few weeks. I found that its interface was clumsy to navigate and VR performance was terrible (even with my i9 9900k/RTX3090). Also got tired of multi-Gb updates. I've uninstalled it but it's still in my Steam library. Maybe I'll give it another go when it finally gets out of Beta and includes stock heli's, better flight models, and performance improvements.

One good thing is that it showed me how good FS2 and xp11 actually are, esp. in VR.

yes I will test the Q2 before buying it (a colleague has it)

but before I will change my screen for a curved 4k ..

Most places you buy the Q2 from like Amazon and the Oculus Store) have a 30 day return window. So, much better to try it out on your own system and spend a little time evaluating it imho. A curved 4k monitor with TrackIR 5 would also be nice though. If you have lots of $'s get both, lol!

I actually only wrote this on 2 places, not 3. This Aerofly forum and on your site in the relevant Hawaii part 4 area. I only did this so I could see if others might be having problems with this and/or to forewarn that their may be a potential problem downloading these files from your site. Sorry, I certainly did not mean to add to your current stress levels mate. When the dust settles down for you I would appreciate it if you can look into this for me. I promise not to post this again anywhere else and will direct future posts only at your site as you have requested. Many thanks for all the great work you do for all of us! Cheers.

Hello ,

Our server detects your mailadress "bigpond" as spam / fake mail accounts server,

and so he tries to protect us from spam and bandwidth theft things ( you can read this at registration).

So its better to use mailadresses for registration which are not listet on those lists or have bad rankings ...

Well maybe you need to re-check and modify that list mate. Bigpond is part of Telstra and is the largest internet provider in Australia. Their servers even trim most spam automatically for me. Safe as houses. I have not had a problem downloading files in the past, including the rest of the Hawaiian Islands. and had no problems registering my e-mail address with your site. This just started now. So, please do me a favour and see if you can make exceptions since I cannot simply get a different e-mail just for your site. I download and upload lots of files and videos to other sites, including YouTube, without any problems. Thanks mate and cheers.

Sorry to hear, I have no control over this. My advice, quit downloading everything ;):P

I tried getting rid of browser history, cookies and cleared cache but none of that worked. What finally worked was to right click on the file and select Open Link in incognito window. This then allowed me to download the two zip files where I wanted them to go. I've never ever needed to go Incognito before. Made me feel like a super sleuth, lol!

The rest was pretty straightforward and it all seems to work fine. Beautiful scenery, including the 3x ladies at the Sheraton Hotel pool, lol! Not much animations, just golf carts and sailboats, plus a few hover cars and trucks. I think we got spoilt by the animation on the other islands. Still, very beautiful to fly around. Thanks very much for all the efforts that went into giving us the Hawaiian Islands. If I ever meet up with any of you developers I'll shout you a Mai Tia cocktail. Cheers.

Logged into flight-sim dot org I can download the pdf file but when I try to download the larger zip files I get the message that You have reached your monthly traffic limit and this just sends me back to the previous page. I have tried signing out then in again but this does not seem to help. I also tried clearing my cache but this did not help either. I have an unlimited internet plan so I don't think that the problem is at my end. I downloaded some large files from Steam earlier no problem. Too bad, I've really been looking forward to this. ;(