Posts by ZoSoChile

Import models into AF2 Video: How to import 3D Models Video

Programs you will need: Sketchup / Model Converter X / Notepad ++

Files included: 3D Model Convert.zip

Not mentioned in video: How to edit content convert output location.

1. Right click "content_converter_config" open with Notepad++

2. Change to desired file location Picture Example

Note: This is my way of the process. There are indeed different/better workflows while doing this. Folder organisation is up to you. Also this is not a tutorial on how to use Sketchup (Youtube has all those answers.) Please have and use common computer knowledge otherwise you're gonna have a bad time ;). Alot of trial and error on top of that.. Repeat trial and error.

Basic written step by step

1. Create or open a model in SketchUp MAKE 2017

2. Set your Geo Location for the model (file/Geo location/add location)

3. Make sure the model has no colors, just textures.

4. Export the model as a .DAE(collada) file (file/Export/3D Model/ Collada)

5. Open the .DAE file in ModelConverterX

6. Next is to edit and convert textures:

Click Material Editor, Textures tab, now click resize to the power of 2;

Next click Drawcalls Tab, Predict Drawcalls, Minimize Drawcalls;

Go back to Textures tab, right click each texture and remove Alpha, then click Prefix all with model name;

Finally save textures as BMP.

7. Export Object as AF2 TGI format

Tutorial was made in hopes to better everybody in the Aerofly community. Please feel free to provide any additional information.

Special thanks to Kloot and Rodeo for the information.

Next step:

Tutorial: How To Create 3D Model Night Textures

Good luck!

Thanks to the new Scenery Editor update today, I was able to create taxiway lights very easily. Thanks Nabeel!

I recommend the light intensity setting around ( .20-.30 ) still playing with different settings. I don't have the terrain mesh flattened so in order to have all lights appear while up close, I found adding the Green lights elevation to around ( .20 ) and Blue lights ( .60 ) to work well while taxiing. :thumbup:

"Please remember that the screenshot thread is for screenshots only. If you wish to carry on a conversation about something related to Aerofly please open up a new thread.

Thank you for understanding."

I completely agree that adding comments on the Screenshot Thread creates a lot of clutter. Being about to talk about or leave a comment would be a nice touch to the Screenshot Thread. That's what makes the forums fun. Perhaps the Facebook "Comment and Like" approach? Otherwise opening a new thread or sending a private message to talk about a screenshot/video is not as fun and would add a complete different amount of clutter to the General Discussion Thread. Hopefully this can be considered in the future. :)

For the most part it looks like the OSM data you collected has those houses split into two buildings rather than one( perhaps these are town houses? ). You would have to manually edit these buildings into one if you wanted to achieve the Google picture, either using JOSM or the new AFS2 editor by Nabeel. As for those specific roof types in upper picture, I believe its only Flat roofed or the Gable type in bottom image that can be converted. As for the SPC file, it can be edited in ScenProc for different building floor heights etc. All the info for that is within that template highlighted in green. You will also find that ScenProc gives an explanation of each value by hovering the mouse over each command.

For editing building textures I downloaded Rodeos Airport Design Package and under "aeroflyFS2_airportdesign_ac3d_package\cultivation\building_textures" I edit the buildings using a photo shop program called GIMP . A lot of renaming, copy and pasting in order to make a variety of buildings.

Located in the same folder you need to click the content converter and they should be saved in your documents/ aerofly/ folder etc. Very time consuming with lots of trial and error but the only way to learn is to give it a try! Hopefully some of this information can help.

Hey Redtail, for custom light placement I have been using a program called JOSM, it allows for straight lines and perfect circle placement. You must edit script values and then converted through a program called Scenproc etc. etc.. If interested just private message me and I can go into further details on that process. Otherwise I believe your best bet is to use the new Scenery Editior by Nabeel because his program allows for simple click and choose light colors. Once lights are placed you then need to access your converted Toc. file and adjust height values using Notepad ++. This will be a lot of trial and error to place properly on top of specific buildings in New York. In order to even achieve these methods you need to have an understanding of how Toc. files require a TSC to be linked to. If interested, I have made a few basic helipads that light up at night. If you have any questions on how to install those again private message me. Helipads

Yes for the most part it does. For the Rift games you need to download a program called Revive. The only problem is because it uses inside out tracking, you will find games like Skyrim, Castle Defender (the lab) etc to not be as accurate at times in tracking the controller. Which honestly can make games be annoying when playing tactical games in VR. I really would only recommend the Odyssey for sims. Can't wait to get back into those adventure games with the Pimax and tracking system.

Hmmm now you have me wondering if the Vive Pro is worth a look while waiting for the next step..... Thats quite pricey too (799 GBP on Amazon!)..... hmmmm

Go with the Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+ if you're looking for a cheaper but same visual upgrade as Vive Pro. Also I found my Odyssey to be a significant improvement from the original Vive so I feel the Pimax 5k+ will be as well. I love the idea of the 8k X as well but its production and computer specs needed to push those pixels out are way to far away for me to wait. Even with my Odyssey+ and pc specs I find that some areas of AF2 lower my FPS a bit. I agree hopefully by then we should see more competitive headset options real soon.

so I started looking at photo scenery downloading and it wasn't as bad as I thought in fact with Aeroscenery it was practically brainless.

I was fortunate enough to start with Aeroscenery myself. Earlier today I decided I would give the other way of collecting USGS orthos a shot. I knew it would be more difficult and take a bit more time. Once I got to the very last step I ran into a few errors and completely said forget it, boom deleted project!

Truly spoiled with Aeroscenery! ^^ Btw awesome heli setup!

I noticed an update today but no changelog update yet. I believe more buildings were added to Los Angeles as part of it?

You may want to try Aerofly RC8 while we wait for the next FS2 addition, I browsed the RC8 features and it's an impressive list and includes VR support. I casually flew some RC planes many years ago so RC8 is tempting.

I've just recently read some forums and viewed a video of RC8. Definitely something I would like to get into!