Posts by HKATER

Pleased to report that I got the older Xbox One wireless controller (model 1708) today and it works well with AFS2021 with the default settings. Almost exactly as I set it up except the collective is a button press down and up, not the left stick which I prefer for better sensitivity and control. Rudder is left and right paddles by default which you really need for a heli. It works in other games on the ipad as well with ipadOS13.7, even though the game doesn't recognise it as a controller, same as Aerofly, it just works.

Might try to change the settings on my old PC and see if that works. The analogue sensitivity settings in Aerofly control menu doesn't seem to change anything. Highly recommend for heli flying - as good as my older xbox controller on the PC. Seems that ios13 was the fix for wireless controllers and ios14.5 to be released will be the fix for the new xbox series X wireless controller which I will keep for the new ipad later this year.

Happy days 🙂..... thks team Aerofly

Edit: well the default settings are not perfect - don't expect a smooth controller experience, its a bit quirky but it does work. Its way too sensitive and can't seem to lower this, but its still easier and preferable to control than with the ipad tilt or analogue onscreen controls. On my old PC (old heli sims like fsx) I have lowered the stick sensitivity which makes helos easier to fly. An example of how quirky it is is you can't change the fixed view position when in game. Whatever the last position was, external or internal will be what it is in game. To change view you have to disconnect the controller and change view and then reconnect the controller and start over. With this controller all you can do is control your view with the left stick (acts like a hat switch) but you can't actually change views like inside or outside if that makes sense. So if you are desperate to fly a heli with a wireless controller it works (but its not perfect), but this control thing needs work- hopefully we will get future support in game from Aerofly to customise controllers. To be able to down adjust the sensitivity would be helpful. But for now its good enough for me.

Not sure right now if the problem is too high sensitivity on the right stick (cyclic), can't lower it, OR it is the self-centering spring forces, ie too stiff. I notice that the elite 2 allows you to adjust spring forces. I suspect the problem is the sensitivity, not springs, as I have xbox controllers on heli sims on the PC and have no problem with the spring forces at all. Xbox twin stick controllers are far less stiff than joysticks. Joysticks are notoriously stiff by default. Anyways hope this helps anybody considering wireless control on the ipad for Aerofly mobile.

Ah OK I wasn't aware that there are dedicated MFi controllers for the iphone/ipad. Thought that the xbox controllers were, which they strictly aren't. Did a search and found them thanks, the MFi wireless controllers.

I suppose the reason xbox is so keen to sort out their latest X series controller for ios is because of the spat they are having with apple over the upcoming Xbox Pass streaming via web browser onto iphone and ipad.

https://www.makeuseof.com/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-ios-2021/

Am satisfied that the about to be released ios14.5 update will allow X series controller on the ipad, so I am hoping to use it for Aerofly.

RE: XBOX Series X wireless controller, model 1914

No prob - I had intended to buy elite 2, as I know it works (as you have it) but its not available till end of April in Australia.

Its uber-annoying ): but not your fault. Its actually pretty clear to me now that on the Apple support site they say that only the

- elite 2, and

- model 1708, Xbox One

are presently working in ipados. Only 2 models work (maybe not perfectly, but they work).

In hindsite I can see it. Of course you only understand all this techno babble after you buy, not before. Before you buy, you read it and think optimistically - oh model 1708 or newer. NO. Only 1708 or elite 2. Hope this post might help someone else here.

I could return it, as the box says "some FUNCTIONALITY not supported in ios and android," which is not correct - it does not work at all, only pairs to the ipad. Not sure how they define the word FUNCTIONALITY?... but its not my definition to be sure. I thought they meant no mapping or other problems, and some functionality would be there. No its 0% functional even in MFi apps on the ipad. I was hoping to use the default settings, but even that is no go with the latest model.

Good news is the dual charger and batteries would appear to work in both Xbox One 1708 (2016) and model 1914 (the latest Series X I have now) so I may hang onto both for when I get the next ios14.5 update later - despite my problem it looks to be a very nice controller and cheaper than the elite. Aerofly supporting MFi would be nice but would seem to not prevent users from using wireless controllers, which is great. But thanks for letting us know about the lack of visibility of the elite 2 controller in some MFi ipad games. Will bear that in mind. Yes when the controller doesn't work, it looks fine in the ipad settings (paired, all looks rosy and good) but in-game (in the game app itself) its like it doesn't exist. In the in-game settings screen it does not appear at all and you are left with standard ipad tilt etc.. control settings.

Just bought the older 2016 model 1708, found it on Amazon, so hopefully will have it in a weeks time to try on the ipad.

Thanks Madpat, unfortunately for me (in Australia), elite 2 is not available for a few weeks, so I bought the xbox wireless 'robot white' controller (AA battery), latest model 1914 (released Sept 2020, its their latest controller) and rechargeable battery/dual charger kit yesterday. Took it out of the box this morning and it is a beautiful controller. Problem is it doesn't work. Pairs to the ipad pro no problem, but when you go into an MFi compliant game it's like its not there. Annoying bit is the older model (sold out) 1708 works fine with ios13/14.

I also have an app to check a wireless controller on the ipad, and the controller is invisible as far as it is concerned.

Seems I am not alone in my frustration!

Reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/…45-45e7-b0ad-4ef964feca01

Apparently they think ios14.5 will sort the problem (not yet released, its in beta I think?

I was going to take it back to the store, but will wait for Apple/xbox to sort out the problem.

Its annoying that their latest controller doesn't work with ios, older one does, and the elite 2 is not yet available in Oz.

Look thankyou so much, excellent. Bad news on the paddles but at least with 2 sticks I can fly rudder assist.

Yes the left stick as collective (power) is always tricky, that set up is RC mode 2 if I recall (radio control). Because of the self centering spring on both sticks the collective is always 50% raised up (half power) by default. I make sure to keep the left stick down before the sim loads, so you don't leap into the air, do the same in FSX. It takes a bit of getting used to but once in flight its quite handy having 50% power on without the need to adjust the collective some times, at least you know what it wants to sit on.

I have never bothered removing or adjusting the self centering springs on an xbox controller as they are not stiff, but I understand it can be done?. I have modified joysticks before (the single standard flight sim joystick), as they are always way too stiff for cyclic control on a heli. By using a cable tie on the spring at the base I have managed to greatly reduce the centering force and acheived a very smooth cyclic control. But since starting to use XBOX controllers a few years ago I would never use a joystick again. Cheaper and better and longer lasting. Twin stick controllers are the best control imo, much closer to the real thing. It works for RC and works well for flight sims. I use the same for fixed-wing flying. The paddles at the back mean you can do everything with 2 hands, no rudder pedals required.

Thanks very much. I will get a bluetooth XBOX controller (most likely the elite 2) and upgrade to ios14. Happy days.... cheers. Looking forward to heli flying on the ipad. 🤓

EDIT. Yes I was thinking I would try ios13 first before I update. I am pretty sure that ios13 allows the use of wireless controllers. But after watching videos it seems that ios14 has introduced controller configuration, adjustment of settings (MFi was part of the reason for the ios14 upgrade for Apple mobile devices).

EDIT. By the way one way to increase the difficulty of a heli sim is to go into the controller setup menu (the section to centre the sticks or joystick, not sure if thats possible on the ipad) and hold the stick slightly off-centre when it asks you to centre it during the setup. The trick is to make it SLIGHTLY off centre. It means that your bird will never sit in one spot stable - will always want to veer off - and will need constant fine adjustment on the cyclic. Have done that trick on fsx before and it increases the level of difficulty substantially. Throw in some wind and it is a difficult exercise to control. I discovered this trick by accident one day when I had a joystick that wasn't centered correctly. After I centered it I noticed the difference. I preferred the off center setting, so set it up off center again. I have had people tell me that the heli is hard enough without making it harder. I disagree - the harder the better imo. I like the challenge and find fixed wing flying a bit boring now.

Many years ago a Professor of Aeronautical Engineering told me that the difference between a helicopter and a plane is that the helicopter is "inherently unstable". Its basically trying to kill you all of the time. Fixed wing craft on the other hand are inherently stable - they are designed that way (dutch roll for example). I remember thinking at the time - man I don't want anything to do with helicopters - sounds too dangerous. Now I love them - but only on the pc or tablet. Safer that way...

Oh thks... been studying ios and wireless controllers on internet forums and youtube a few days now and its pretty confusing. Seems that ios14 permits controller configuration on the ipad in the settings bluetooth menu (no pc configuration required), at least thats what it seems, which would suggest it should work in AFS2021 with these customised settings. I am pretty certain that the wireless controllers work on AFS2021 with default settings.

My situation is an ipad pro 2017, ios13 (I may choose to update to ios14 if I think this will allow me to use a wireless controller for AFS2021). I have my reasons for not wanting to update to ios14 as I have some old app games I want to keep on it that may not be compatible with the new ios14 (have had that problem in the past with ipads). I am about to buy the next model ipad pro this year, so I may choose to wait till then.

The million dollar question is "can you customise a wireless bluetooth controller in ios14 on the ipad in settings and use this in AFS2021"? Default settings are no good for me. I may have to wait until this all becomes clearer. Microsoft and Apple say they are working on this problem. The lack of MFi support in the AFS2021 app is of a concern - part of me thinks this doesn't matter if the ios14 allows you to configure the controller. Part of me thinks it may be a problem. I am not keen on buying a controller like the elite 2 (not cheap) and find out the hard way.

As you have an elite 2 is it possible to test if this is OK in ios14 on a mobile device and this great sim AFS2021?

I assume by extra paddles you mean the elite has 4x paddles and only 2x paddles work in ios? 2x paddles is all I need for rudder control.

I want to set up like my old pc xbox controller (wired) with left stick collective, right stick cyclic and paddles as rudder. I am not sure I can use my old pc for a new controller configuration as my pc is 100% offline now. And I definitely want to go bluetooth, as connecting a wired controller to an ipad is too complicated for me. I basically can't fly the helos in this sim without a proper controller - its just too hard imo. Even using assisted rudder is too hard. The tilt control is passable, but the collective slider is too hard to use effectively. Sorry a bit long winded, but that is the story.

Works fine with Xbox Wireless Elite 2 controller on iOS. Sadly, no button configuration available within Aerofly, extra paddles on Elite 2 not supported by iOS yet. But, you can reconfigure the controller in Windows, these settings seem to be saved directly in the controller which then also affect behaviour in iOS.

Madpat, sorry didn't read your post properly. Are you saying that we can use the Xbox elite 2 wireless on the ipad and customise the controller in ios, and then use in the sim (even though you cannot customise within aerofly)? Seems you are comfirming this. Can the two sticks be customised for helis? Left, collective, Right stick cyclic and paddles for rudder?

Seems ios14 is required, I am on ios13 so would need to update. Do you think the same goes for other wireless controllers, PS4 etc.. Your help is much appreciated. I want to buy one but first make sure it will work.

I just need to change the default settings of the controller. That I can't customise within AFS2021 is not a big issue for me, as long as the customisations work. Not clear what you mean by extra paddles? Do the paddles work for rudder? No rudder on a heli won't work very well at all. Thankyou.

Yep that's the killer - no customisation of a wireless controller is currently possible for AFS2021 on the ipad pro??.... 😪🤧😪😪🤧

Ios14 seems to allow wireless controller customisation in the setting menu? Can anyone confirm that XBOX ELITE WIRELESS or PS4 dualshock wireless can be customised with Aerofly FS2021 on the ipad please? Default settings are no good for helicopters. Don't want to buy one to find out it doesn't work. The elite looks pretty pricey right now. Keen for a mobile wireless controller to use with AFS2021 on the ipad.

Cool, very good thanks. Your are the DUDE... when it comes to the A320 on the ipad.

The A320 was from the start years ahead of its time. When it flew into a forest in June 1988 (pilot error?) Boeing warned about the dangers of military style advanced avionics. They were right of course. The 737max drama reminds me a lot of 1988 though it definitely wasn't pilot error this time.

My wish list is

1) another Helo - any model will be OK for me.

2) adjustable weights, fuel and load so I can play around with de-rated takeoffs and noise abatement procedures on the A320. I miss not being able to modify the aircraft files like I used to on the PC version: cockpit eye positions, weights, inertias etc..

3) better weather and VC shadows (I think the lack of shadows in cockpit is a bummer for realism and a backward step, can't understand why it was ever removed?...)

I notice someone here mentioning ATC chatter. I use liveATC as background chatter all the time. You need a second device (phone, ipod, pc) to do this but its very immersive. Highly recommend.

I also notice requests for crashes (not that I disagree as a crash feature would encourage responsible flying). But I have to say I have 'bounced' off buildings in the heli (unintentionally of course!) and it looks pretty painful in the external view, though not fatal. One of the most awesome parts of this sim is you can land on any building rooftop anywhere. That is fantastic. You can create your own hospital helipad scenarios anywhere you wish with a bit of 'imagination' and real world planning (ie find the rough location of a real hospital in san francisco for example and find a building in the sim in that approximate location).

The replay feature in this sim is truly inspired. The FSX replay of old was a buggy piece of crap that caused me a of pain in the past (though I still have fsx, it is a fair heli sim). Thank God for aerofly.

EDIT --- I HAVE ONLY ONE REQUEST, PLEASE, PLEASE AEROFLY..... Compatibility with the upcoming XBOX WIRELESS CONROLLER ( IOS), or PS4 DUALSHOCK4 controller. I simply can't control the helicopters without it. 2 sticks, paddles for rudder, RC mode 2. I have tried to fly them with ipad tilt/sliders or analogue, or rudder assist but it just doesn't work for me. Not enough fine control especially on the collective. This is the best helicopter sim ever. Just needs a proper controller.

This is what we need it seems, compatibility as a MFi game on IOS as per list below, AND the ability to customise the controller inputs, left and right stick for helos like RC controllers, ie collective and cyclic. Heres hoping...

https://controller.wtf/mfi-games

Yes I am upgrading later this year from a 2017 ipad pro. I have to say that this sim runs very well on a 2017 ipad pro, no problem at all. Its the best sim I have ever had. I do everything on the ipad now, work, play... I left PC gaming 5 years ago and have saved a bucket of money. When I look at Aerofly FS 2021 I can believe that the tablet is going to make laptops obsolete one day. I remember when the first laptops came out they sacrificed computing power for portability. Now most people game on high performance laptops. I do miss the xbox PDP controller for helos (it gives great control), but expect that I will be able to use a wireless xbox controller with the ipad soon.

Frank are you the guy doing these incredible tutorials in French for the A320?

http://a320afs2ios.wpweb.fr/category/tutoriel/

If you are this guy, its an awesome website resource thanks.

Luckily I am a French speaker and a fan of the A320. When I saw the touch n go circuit graphic outline on this website I was amazed and pleasantly surprised - very hard to get information like that (circuit training in jets). Unless you are a pilot its almost impossible to find these details. Its a struggle to find even GA aviation circuit training as it seems many flight schools have their own variations, checklists etc. My instructor for instance used the checklist BUMFISH. I have never seen BUMFISH on the internet. Been looking for circuit training explanations (heights, speeds, the numbers..) for 777 and 747 for years even though I have some excellent and detailed books on these jets. Circuit training, the numbers, is very specific information hard to find.

PS BUMFISH is Brakes (parking brake OFF), Undercarriage, Mixture, Fuel, Instruments, Speed and Height, on a Piper Warrior in the circuit on downwind preparing to land. Its a checklist title you don't forget. I remember asking him about the parking brakes bit as we were not on the ground, how I was surprised. His reply was if you get that first one wrong you will have a very bad day!

A side point about contrails and Oz, coming from someone who has been watching contrails for 20+ years as a plane enthusiast is that most people in Oz live on the coast, fewer live inland. Another reason that we tend to see very few contrails is because most aircraft in our airspace if you live on the coast, are at low altitude, either climbing or descending from altitude. Australian cities like Sydney and Brisbane are so far from anywhere else in the world that few aircraft pass over. Until about 10 years ago I almost never saw a contrail living in Sydney. Recently more overflights from Asia to NZ for instance, passing over Sydney have begun to happen and Oz is beginning to look more like other places in the aviation world. The tyranny of distance has shaped us a long time. I once saw possibly a contrail from a low flying jet but was not sure as at the time I thought it was an emergency fuel dump as the plane seemed to be on approach to land at Sydney.

Yes, I live in a hot dry climate, outback Australia, and can confirm that contrails at altitude are only about 50% of the time or even less of the time. It as to do with humidity and dew point not just temperature. Hot dry air (even though it is much colder at altitude) prevents contrails forming. I like contrails as it easier to see aircraft passing overhead, but a lot of the time there are none and they are hard to spot. I once lived near Heathrow UK and was familiar with daily heavy contrails as many passing aircraft used the airport as a navigation point. UK weather is not at all like Australia.

Sorry but this is my last day with access to internet for a while - uninstalled and reinstalled the game again (less UK) so I can use it offline. Hope this helps you guys solve the bugs. Please don't make an always ON internet requirement in the future like some game devs do (I know you guys don't hence why I like aerofly)- not all people have access to internet all the time. I am offline or on dodgy internet quite often. Having games you can play offline is a great thing to have.

No, the map behaves exactly like before except you cant pan left of Salt Lake City, or zoom to the left (West Coast is just all black, no satellite scenery, or airports showing). If you press traffic, airports, VOR, NDB navaids its all behaving exactly the same as before.

The difference from before is if you zoom in, the satellite scenery appears, then you zoom out and it mostly dissappears (UK remains visible). Its not smooth when you scroll between US and Europe.

Whether you have traffic showing-on in map view, or off, makes no difference at all. The maps all buggy and even when you can start to see satellite imagery (when you zoom in) it does not look right. Smooth would be the way I would describe the map when its working. It isn't smooth anymore.

No problem. The location map is completely black like the images on page 1 of this thread, with only traffic and airports showing (Utah and Colorado), Miami, UK and Swtizerland.

There is no West Coast at all, you can't pan left, its like its not there. When you zoom in on a region which is there (airports), the satellite imagery begins to show but its very buggy and jittery, not at all smooth like before. As you zoom out again it sometimes dissapears again, but UK for example stays visible in the map view after zooming in. Scrolling between Europe and USA is buggy and hard to do.

In that condition airports all seem to work (though haven't tried it for long enough to be sure), except US West Coast. You can fly around the UK for instance no problem. Problem is map view in 'location', and no West Coast airports. Basically everything seems to work well for me until I install UK.

In summary West Coast dissappears permanently. No satellite scenery in map view, no airports, nothing, and you cant pan left or zoom in to see it. It won't let you. Its like its the Pacific Ocean.

Can confirm the problem is UK pack. After 24 hours of using the sim with all of the extra sceneries downloaded except UK, have just installed UK pack and it failed again. The map in 'location' goes all wierd (missing tiles, missing West Coast entirely (if you try to search for KLAX or KSFO they are not recognised), only when you zoom in do you get satellite imagery in map view and its clearly not functioning correctly). Have uninstalled again and will reinstall everything but UK to get a working sim. The order I installed was West coast, Colorado &Utah, Florida, and lastly Switzerland, going into each scenery after each download (ie one download at a time). Will leave UK alone for now. Its a great sim - worth the wait.

OK, installed everything, one at a time, going into the sim after every download, everything EXCEPT UK, and it all works. I noticed that the first time, the time it failed, the map stopped working properly in 'location' where you set your start position. Now with it working with Switzerland, I can scroll between USA and Europe.

Problem seems to be UK scenery for those who start downloading USA packs. Don't have the time to download all this again, so I will leave UK alone for now until the bug is sorted.

Yes sorry did not see the sticky until after I posted, I see I am not alone. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled and downloaded the main 4GB West Coast scenery and Colorado and Utah pack in that order and it works well again. Tomorrow I will install Florida, then Switzerland (everything but UK installing one pack at a time and entering the sim to check it works) and will let you know if it works minus the UK.

My original downloads if I recall were, one at a time, when it failed, was West Coast 4GB first, (then Utah and Colorado, then Florida, can't remember which was first), definitely went into the sim after this and it was working.... then UK and finally Switzerland, and that is when I noticed the problem. Europe seems to be the problem.

My guess based on what others are saying is the problem is the UK pack. Have moved to ipad now for everything, work and gaming, and I must say that this simulator (the helicopters) is really amazing. I think I fell in love with this sim after 5 minutes when I saw a military jet fighter take off near my starting parking location.