Posts by HKATER

Interesting example - will look it up.

Guys if you haven't done a night flight yet in Aerofly mobile 2022 yet, you are missing out. In its present state it is pretty cool. I recommend a takeoff in the Corsair at Breighton UK (grass lit runway) in the pitch dark, no clouds, and return to land. The landing light illuminating the threshold just before you land (stabbing the darkness) is an experience. It's a great sim.

Good point by Fab001 but there have been some cases of 'sinking below terrain' on land and where I live at night in the air very little would be visible - very few lights at all, except the local airport and even that might be unlit most of the time. You would see isolated farmhouses and the local town but the rest, most of your field of view, I expect would be pitch-black. Don't know for sure - am not a pilot.

It is dark outside - you can't see anything. Some real life accidents have happened because of that. Sorry that old-chestnut never gets old :), he he.... You are right of course, humour aside, it would be awesome.

I do fly around at night some times currently and the airport lights from above look amazing.

You can do it - its a bit fiddly from the copilot seat (I use the change of view button set up on the xbox to swap between positions but flying from the copilot seat would probably make it easier). Some times you press on the screen and it seems to not respond (also the little lever at 11 oclock thatr switches between flap and trim) - just need to keep trying. When I was doing it 'the flight assistant' kept interfering and reversing my work - only just worked out how to turn off the flight assistant and set up the xbox to get full control of trim and flaps - it should work. On the xbox its actually the default settings. I got in trouble because I modified them. I believe I have changed the trim and flap succesfully (independent of each other) by rotating this wheel, but I am still working that bit out.

The wheel only seems to rotate freely when in elevator trim. When doing flaps its seems to only rotate a small way in either direction - not spin freely for long turns.

EDIT - on another topic - I am no warbird expert but have had some fun in the past with DC3 simulations, but was surprised to read about lighting and aviation circa 1930's before the war. Was surprised to discover that the first electric runway lights were 1930 in USA. That navigation- position lights - are of the period - I always assumed they came later. Seems warbirds had a complex system of lights including IFF, position and others, though strictly speaking the JU52 was not just a warbird but used long before the war, and after. Interesting period of aviation.

YES the ADF works, but boy is it tricky. Followed the instructions given here thanks. The knobs are tricky and knowing whether to turn clockwise CW or anticlockwise ACW without being able to read the screen is not easy but can be done. If you set up an NDB close to your position, you know your position relative to the NDB and fiddle around, you can work it out, which way the dial works that is, CW or ACW. I might draw my own ADF screen once I work it out for quick reference so it is easier to turn the dial in the right direction. The fewer the NDB's the easier it is of course. Not sure what its radio range is simulated here. I can imagine that if you end up near many NDB's it will be very hard to tell them apart without a clear dial reading. Fortunately NDBs aren't that many and are spread out. Right now its kindof educated guesswork, but it does work. Something to fiddle with whilst the copilot flies the plane... I tend to use the basic copilot functions (heading and attitude, speed) without a navigation route set. Not keen on his love affair with 20,000 feet - hard to breathe up there.

For anyone interested in recreating 1930's era flights in the Ju52 here are some online resources:

Old European Airways charts, based on NDBs

Historical radio beacons

Accident site with interesting info on old airfields like Croydon UK and the Ju52.

Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety Database
    Aviation Safety Network: Databases containing descriptions of about airliner accidents, hijackings and military aircraft accidents.
    aviation-safety.net

Old airline timetables going back before 1930's

Airline Timetable Images - List of Airlines

Thank you, awesome. Haven't used an ADF for quite a while. Will do this. Glad to hear that it works. Yeh might try the 737 first to re-familiarise myself how to use an ADF first.

Does the ADF receiver work? My instrument panel graphics are horribly blurred so the labels are illegible, is the receiver selector labelled ‘Off, Sum (ADF), Ant and Loop or similar? I tried the second position. Are the three knobs tuning, audio volume and lighting?

The tutorial cockpit guide indicates an ADF display in the left panel.

Where are the switches for the instrument lights? no mention in the ‘cold and dark’.

The ADF works if all the power switches behind the right seat are turned on.

Are you saying that the ADF works? I haven't been able to get it to work. Mine just moves around like a compass depending which direction the nose is pointing. It seems impossible to set a frequency as the radios are not clearly visible. I tried setting a flight plan with NDB navigation points to see if that helps but it makes no difference so far (logically that should be the way for the programmer to allow you to use the ADF without having to set a frequency in game, ie it is automatically set as you fly by the flight plan behind the scenes) - maybe I am missing a switch that needs turning on?

But then again it is so blurry (the graphics detail is unreadable) that in its present state it might be unuseable?

For some strange reason I can only start engines after I have shut them down first from a 'ready to taxi' starting state. The cold and dark doesn't work for me. I have followed the tutorial. Maybe I need to update the app.

Been struggling with the flaps and trim alot until I worked out that it was my xbox assignments, modified in ios15 settings. I have to leave the throttle and flap control to the central four-way switch. By assigning throttle to a stick, the flaps and trim seemed to be out of my control, even after turning off the flight assistant. Now I have full control of flaps (and trim I believe). Really frustrating trying to land when the flaps and trim are constantly changing every time I adjust the throttle! I am now able to make a decent approach and landing.

The only xbox problem I am unable to fix is the sensitivity. The sticks are quite touchy - need to be a bit less sensitive. Presently they are like a small RC model on some aircraft - but it works. This sensitivity depends on the model. On the Ju52 it is alot less touchy.

Awesome thank you. So far I have as a retro approximation

RAF Kenley = Croydon

Grimbergen EBGB= Haren

Hilversum = Amsterdam

happy days...

There is a selection switch at ‘11 O’ Clock’ just inside the control wheel at the base of the left seat. It changes the wheel’s operation from flap movement to elevator trim. The Bf 109 would be similar but with twin wheels.

The amazing magneto switches and the three oil dilution levers are special to the 52/3M too as is the navigation heading display thing’s selector wind-up handle compass-rose thing!

Thanks for the flaps tip - that is hard to spot. Will have to play around with that one. Not being able to use the NDB is the only downside to this one. You really are flying visual. Yes the compass took me some time to work out.

Just wanted to thank the developer for adding the Junker 52. Been having a blast doing circuits at RAF Kenley (pretending it is Croydon, London retro 1930's) on 2 engines. I can get airborne on one engine but can't climb so that is a no go. It is a cool machine. Plenty of grass runways to keep me occupied.

If anyone can do a circuit on one engine and survive they must be Biggles. The cockpit has alot more funcionality than I was expecting - beware the prop pitch levers - they seem to work. At cruise you can lose alot of power by moving them. Finding out what switch does what is part of the fun. I believe the bottom set of hand-wheels (lower left in right hand seat) control the carburator heat or hydraulics? Not sure if they do anything in the sim. Rudder trim escapes me - assuming there is one? Taxing is a challenge but can be done by riding the brakes to tighten the turn. Taxing on two engines is almost impossible - can only turn in one direction. It is fun choosing which engine to shut down and see the effect on the aircraft. Engine start and stop is possible - takes some working out. There is an engine start button (master battery?) to the left hand side of the engine start levers in the center console. You need to use both the levers and this switch.

What would be cool would be an F35 and a foreign military base (Doha, UAE, Persian Gulf or a Pacific Island) with aerial refueling along the way (an aircraft to intercept en-route, a ferry flight, using radar or some onboard systems) as a mission. But now I am dreaming... :)

It would require a very small extra scenery and maybe an aircraft carrier. Just a suggestion.

I already know what the IPACS reply will be - YES you are DREAMING!

Thankyou (you've done it!, mystery solved), 'supercarrier TV series' must be the one. It is so rare to see anything about it, it would explain why I have been searching for this so long - very rare piece of work.

I can see that it is available online to buy but I doubt I will go that route. The wikipedia page is interesting — about the friction between the Navy and the Hollywood producers. I remember that Topgun was so good because the Navy were 100% behind the production team as a recruitment tool. Seems the producers on this one had other interests in mind (not Navy !). A bit like the 'General Hospital' show which seemed more about hanky-panky (Doctors and nurses) than about a hospital. Maybe that is a real hospital? Ah Hollywood - whatever sells!

Yes 'The Final Countdown' is in my collection. I like the WW2 'baa baa black sheep' (a great comedy/drama) but the footage of Southern California (looks like the set of MASH) pretending to be the Pacific Islands jars with me.

Another favourite of mine is the 5 minute scene of the F18 in Behind Enemy Lines, link below.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

OK, sorry I can't comment on android. I originally had problems with the change camera view (on the ipad with ios) until I worked out that the back buttons (top back buttons on the controller, not rudder paddles) change that view (on the xbox). You might try see if that works for the change of view and android?

As the title suggests, having just seen the new top gun (and holy smokes it’s a good film) I was wondering if IPACS were ever planning to add such features to aerofly as the F14 Tomcat or an aircraft carrier somewhere on the map to practice ocean missions and short carrier landings.

Only some thoughts, love to know what everyone else thinks of this kinda stuff.

Sometime in the 90's there was a kid's TV show (or film? not sure which, looked like a Disney type production) about an aircraft carrier with F18 and F14 pilots. Quite a bit of carrier footage especially of F18's. I have been trying to find this movie for decades - have no idea what it was called but would love to see it again.

The story was about the rivalry between the new breed of pilots (the F18) and the old breed (F14) and was about the transition from tomcats to hornets. The hornet guys thought they were the best (the latest model) and the tomcat guys thought they were and the new guys were show ponies. It was about the design of the tomcat versus hornet - both pretty amazing planes in their own right. Looked like a kids show but the footage was pretty awesome if memory serves. It wasn't a top gun type film, more shallow than that.

If anyone knows what this show was I would love to know.

'Les Chevaliers du Ciel' (Sky Fighters) is my favourite aviation film. It is hard to beat.

I haven't been spending time lately on the new aerofly and haven't done this yet for my latest xbox controller but with the IPAD ios15 you should be able to go into the menu and customise the controller via:

general/gaming controller/custom controls

(this option will only be visible when the controller is connected via bluetooth)

for those using ios. Been using a controller on a mobile for a while now and would not want to have to do without.

"There are NO dangerous instrument approaches." :) very good.

They are only dangerous when I am flying... I like to shoot ILS's with a beer in hand. Been doing that for years. Can't do that in the real thing.

LFMK Salvaza problem. Not sure if this problem has been noticed by anyone else here?

Just downloaded 2022 this morning. If I go to LFMK (any runway starting location at runway end) and press START, game crashes (CTD) - sometimes remains open in background, sometimes completely crashes/closes. Tried with 787 and C172 - same result.

If I choose LFPG or EDDF (a major airport) and press START and then return to the menu, it works fine, and then choose LFMK as a starting position 'after' then it works correctly. Seems that as a beginning location it does not like it.

I have all sceneries installed (all in one go) and have tried a hard-reset of the ipad (close down restart memory wipe) - makes no difference, problem is still there?

As luck would have it Salvaza was the first thing I tried before anything else as I know the real airport well! Just my luck.

Overloaded, yes I liked your past comment about nighttime and how black it is outside! Very true. Its been the cause of many accidents in real life.

I have noticed that in dark locations (no ground lights and no moon) that even white clouds are not always visible at night, but cloud glow would be nice and dark locations are becoming rarer every day.

RE: 1.5GB? RAM limit on ios

Great information here for tablet users. I am about to get a 16GB RAM ipad pro and as annoying as a RAM limit is I suppose the ipad is designed for multi-tasking. That is, having multiple apps open at the same time - a no-no for flight simmers due to flight sims being memory hogs. I suppose having one app using all the memory causes Apple a problem and would be too difficult for them to apply. They would rather treat all apps the same. Aerofly have to consider a range of tablet and phone users, but it would seem that the Apple throttle limit sorts that problem out.

As games are memory hogs, it will be interesting to see where this goes in the future as more people use tablets for gaming. A bit more of the RAM would be nice though on Apple's part as the ipad M1 is redefining the tablet scene.

I have noticed already that on AFS2021 I can have multiple apps open on the ipad at the same time - something I avoid from habit, but handy when going into settings or another system app.

It may be one of the reasons Apple is in court and having issues about its App Store and gaming (including potential Xbox streaming games online via a website without an app) - the requirement that all 'individual' games must go thru the app store on a case-by-case basis. I suppose they want to control many things including RAM usage by programs.

Its a good question, even though I don't have android.

I have used a Realflight RF8 USB R/C controller in the past on a windows PC and another non-RC simulator (like aerofly fs but not aerofly) as I wanted better heli control. It was an excellent device giving superb control but I noticed a pretty significant load on the simulator with a bit of lag and frame drop. It was useable and OK but had downsides. I used it on that sim too of course (the one it was designed for) but I ended up using xbox most of the time on the other sim as it did not tax the system so much.

My guess is that it might work, mine worked on Windows 10 a few years ago, but don't know. Its not cheap - wouldn't buy one without knowing if it worked first and it would probably give you some serious lag and frame drop. I think the better the controller - the more expensive - the more it taxes an operating system. Not recommended imo.