Posts by GrahamD

If you want VR primarily for AFS2, then you might want to consider a Windows Mixed Reality system. I've been really impressed with this and ran it on a GTX 970 with a 3rd generation i5 (supposedly below minimum specs) with barely a stutter (only in the most built up areas). Windows MR is very easy to set up as there are no base stations. The criticism is that it cannot track controllers when they are outside your field of view, but this is not really an issue with AFS2. There's also bargains to be had. Have a search around and see what others think.

In VR the cockpit will look 3D. Stereo vision does not give you a sense of 3D for the scenery because the left and right images are pretty much identical due to the distance. If you use a Fresnel lens to put your monitor optically at an infinite distance, the scenery will look 3D. This sense of 3D for distant objects comes from perspective, relative motion and knowledge. When looking at a monitor, stereo vision tells us that we are looking at a flat picture at arms' length. I used to fly flight sims with a fresnel lens and HUD-only view. The experience was much like VR, but with a wider field of view; you just could not look around you or get a 3D cockpit.

I have the Acer Windows Mixed Reality headset and it works flawlessly with AFS 2. If I had the chance to get an Odyssey in the UK at a reasonable price I'd jump at it. Inside out tracking is not really an issue for a seated game except when the controllers are out of the field of view (unlikely in this case).

I used to run with a GTX 970 and 3rd generation I5 processor with a Windows Mixed Reality headset. It ran perfectly well with just minor stuttering in built-up areas. I have an 8th gen I7 now and GTX 1080, but the experience has not changed a great deal (no more stuttering); though this leaves room for more complex scenery in the future. Apparently a price drop in the 10 series cards is anticipated soon to clear stock before the 11 series is introduced. I guess there is always something around the corner.