Posts by Fabs79

I am not using the mobile version of AF2 anymore as my ipads are pretty old and so have low performance and my new tablet is a surface go and so is on windows 10 rather than ios or android.

I have done some instrument flying on the mobile app but found only one approach that could be done due to not being able to adjust VOR radial.

I also have a desktop with an 8700k at 5GHz and a GTX1080 that I use for VR so would be looking at the desktop version. Shame IPACS don't do a demo so I can compare to xplane.

If you're planning to use VR go for Aerofly. There's nothing that even remotely comes close when it comes to performance. In Xplane and Prepar3d you'll have to play with settings and tweaks when you're flying in a densely populated area, and even then you'll probably end up with low fps and stutter even on high end systems. With your pc specs you'll be able to max out all settings in Aerofly and still get fantastic VR performance. And Aerofly will probably be the only simulator that can keep up good performance with the next generation of VR headsets.

To give some more info. All my approaches would be in the C172 (since the Robin DR400 is no longer in the sim) and programming an approach into an FMC is not important. Shame about no audio indents so I can't practice select, tune, identify and it is a shame the DME is not accurate. X-plane seems great for IFR practice but the poor VR performance is a deal breaker at the moment. I assume there is no demo version of AF2 to test performance and IFR complexity?

I think there is a way of getting the Robin DR400 into the Sim with the Aerofly SDK. There is a tutorial somewhere. Someone else might be able to help you with that.

I also think that for practicing real world IFR procedures there are better options out there, but they need further investments to be "as real as it gets". I don't know anything about xplane, but for P3D you'd need some Addons to simulate real world procedures : a complex airliner with a fully functional FMC, for example the PMDG Boeing 737, 747 or 777, or the fs labs Airbus A320. Then you need to update the default database which is from 2006 and only knows basic navaids, for SIDs and STARs to show up correctly you'd probably need something like a Navigraph subscription to keep you up to date. Another thing you should consider is that real world procedures would probably also mean realistic ATC. Aerofly doesn't have ANY ATC, and P3D only has a very basic ATC which is suitable for standard approaches but nor for special procedures like Innsbruck. That said you need to choose one of the available third party options for ATC, none of which is perfect. And maybe you'd also like an Addon for real world weather conditions like Active Sky. All in all you're going to spend a lot of money if you really want to practice real world procedures.

What about copyright?

Will 3D warehouse allow to publish models from their site in another public database?

Is a tmb model less critical?

You beat me to it, I'm also worried about copyright. To be honest the best way is to create models from scratch yourself, because of copyright issues and because many of the 3D warehouse models are not performance optimized for flight simulation, too many vertices, too many small textures and materials, too many unnecessary details for a model that's probably only seen from a few hundred feet away.

I wanted to suggest exactly the same, a object library may be split into airport / non Airport objects. Another important issue is copyright. Every modeler should state if it's a own model or converted from somewhere else and where the textures are from. Otherwise we'd risk the whole library getting removed.

Generally speaking, I think that the Aerofly developers should try to team up with more 3rd party developers to add essential content to Aerofly that already exists for the well established platforms. HiFi Sim for a weather engine, Flight 1 for navigational devices and maybe also AI traffic... P3D and Xplane are also heavily dependant on 3rd party Addons, you'll have a hard time finding a screenshot from either one that doesn't use an addon of some sort. That way the IPACS team could focus on developing the core engine. With more content available customers interest in the simulator would increase, which again would help sales of 3rd party content. That's what we are seeing with xplane at the moment and I'm hoping Aerofly will grow in a similar way.

That's on us, because we have not yet made is possible to program custom displays. (If developers read this, we can make it work, just contact us directly)

That would be great. I don't even expect a full blown representation of a real life GNS unit, something like the default GPS in fsx would be sufficient as a start. The moving map looks a little arcady for my taste and somewhat out of place given that the rest of the cockpit interiors are very detailed and realistic.

This looks too good to be true, how do you get those high resolution dirt /grass strips? Is it a high resolution orthophoto or a custom ground poly with a texture? I wanted to create a small scenery area which contains several dirt strips but they don't look nearly as good with the 1 m/Pixel orthophotos I'm limited to.

Maybe FS2 is a better sim, and this is not needed. There is a good chance that they're getting direct support from the IPACS team.

I hope so, but if it is possible to do all this in the core Sim why does none of the default planes have those features? I sometimes think it would have been better to release Aerofly 2 with fewer default aircraft but more complex ones. I also don't understand why a civilian flight Simulator needs two fighter jets and two historic military aircraft as default aircraft. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Aerofly but some things could have been approached differently IMHO.

I was also wondering if they implement all those features within the Aerofly core engine or with an external . dll. In FSX / P3D things like mixture control, helicopter physics or turboprop engine simulation are completely unrealistic, but developers like A2A, Dodosim or Majestic use their own external programs to calculate the values and then inject the results into the simulator. Maybe something like this is possible in Aerofly, too?