Posts by vvoovv

Get the new version of blender-osm (both premium and base) via the link in your purchase confirmation e-mail! The imported scene looks more realistically now thanks to the randomized level height and default number of levels. The default number of levels can be tweaked in the addon GUI.

What's missing is a way to randomise height of buildings between certain values where the height isn't known.

Good news! The imported scene looks more realistically now thanks to the randomized level height and default number of levels. The default number of levels can be tweaked in the addon GUI.

Get the new version of blender-osm (both premium and base) via the link in your purchase confirmation e-mail!

thanks for the answer 😉

I've updated the post with the newest shp-osm converter:

https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm

It's a Python script and requires GDAL

Hi "vvoovv",

Sorry I missed this post..................thanks for all your hard work, kindest regards Michael.

The blender-osm addon can download and import quite large areas.

Here is the video of the whole Moscow (140 thousand buildings!) imported to Blender:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Would it be possible to overlay a Bing or google map, it will help some of us identify the exact building we want?

Did you mean Bing satellite imagery?

I am going to add a switch between the OSM map and Bing satellite imagery.

Are you able to add a google map to the selection square in choose map extent.

I'd prefer to keep the OSM map since it displays what data OSM contains. It's often the case that some buildings or even the whole districts are missing in the OSM.

3/ add possibility to assign a custom tileable building texture according to "category" (house, tall building, farm, etc...) for example

etc...

That can be done in the premium version. It's possible to customize how a texture is assigned to a particulart building type via the setup script. There is the dedicated section in the documentation. It's also possible to assign custom textures (e.g. from textures.com) to the imported buildings. The procedure is described here.

Currently, the materials are assigned for the Cycles render engine. Assignment of simple materials which can be exported to the popular 3D formats (.dae, .obj. .fbx, .3ds) will be realized as soon as possible.

I may be wrong, but I'm used to working with shapefile files, because it's pretty simple and convenient to work with. I use QGIS, Gdal script and other home made tools to add elements, columns, attributes, etc in order to enrich my sources files... I also work with Scenproc and a lot with Gdal and I don't think it supports .osm files in writing but just as reading. but it's just my feeling on it of course ;)

I'd prefer to keep focus on OpenStreetMap. There are tools to convert a shapefile to the OSM format:

Hi!

I am the developer of the blender-osm addon. I'd like to thank you for using the addon.

I hope we can use this thread to discuss which features can be added to the blender-osm addon.

What's missing is a way to randomise height of buildings between certain values where the height isn't known.

Randomization of the floor height and the number of floors (if it isn't set in OSM) will be available this month (September 2018).