Posts by haltux

And how many flight simulators do you know with real water that have the performance of FS2? Or FS4 ( probably )? I do not know anyone.

Shaders on water does not so significantly impact performances on modern hardware. You can have water that looks amazing from the sky (even if not true 3D water) for a cheap price performance-wise.

The main problem (I assume) is not the shaders themselves but the fact that the engine has to "know" where water is, with a high precision. The limits between water and not-water have to be globally defined, which is not obvious if you use raw aerial photos.

For some reasons the ILS frequencies on the Navigation map are rounded, 1 digit after the dot. Example Zurich 34 is 110.8 instead of 110.75.

BUT in the game it's not. So you have to setup 110.75, at least in some planes (F18, MB-339, Hawk T1). Problem is, you don't know the actual frequency (unless you check on the Web). When it does not work, try 0.05 below (or above?). That's pretty annoying.

Could you fix that? Thanks.

Maybe the new SteamVR features can be useful?
    https://www.roadtovr.com/steamvr-beta-u…troller-attach/

It actually does work perfectly! It's even pretty amazing, you can display a tiny "notepad.exe" under the virtual hand and approach it to your face when you want to read it... Really great and not immersion breaker at all in my opinion!

Thanks!

EDIT: Note that you need Steam VR Beta for that. Subscribe to the Beta version in the preferences of Steam VR (inside Steam, not inside Steam VR).

When navigating using VOR and ILS, one need to setup manually the frequency with planes like MB-339.

However if using several VOR and the final ILS, it is difficult to remember all frequencies even if the flight is entirely planned. It is very annoying to quit the flight and go back to the navigation menu to get the frequencies, especially in VR.

I guess in real life pilot use(d) some kind of scratch pad to write the required frequencies.

Is there a way to emulate that in AFS2? Write stuff in advance on a pad and having direct access to it during the flight, one way or another.

Thanks a lot. I was confused, I did not realize there were two different packages, one for the objects and one for the images. I downloaded the other package and it works.

And thanks again for Hawai, it is really great that we can get such quality freeware on AFS2.

hello,

Now that some people have taken a step back from using a virtual headset in Aerofly RC8, I would like to hear your thoughts on my PC.

is it sufficient?

if so, which virtual headset (make and model) do you recommend?

my config:
    Windows 10 64bits | iCore7 860 | DDR3 8go | EVGA GTX 1060 nvidia | SSD 256go

Thank you

My previous GPU was a GTX 1070, and I considered it as a bare minimum to run with my previous headset, which was an Oculus RIft CV1.

If you don't want to buy a new GPU, in my opinion you have two possible choice:

- You buy an Oculus Rift CV1 second hand. I sold mine for 100€. Resolution is not great (hence the low GPU requirement) but it's a quality headset. That should be OK with AFS2 if you don't push the details.

- You buy an Oculus Quest 2, which is great BUT you will have to drastically reduce the resolution in steam preferences. So you won't experience the Screen Door Effect of the CV1, you won't see the pixels, but the image will not be sharp at all.

In both case expect a myopia simulator. You'll have to lean forward to read jauges and control screens.

Still it worth it in my opinion, in particular if you don't care too much about jauges and you are mainly interested in the pleasure of the flight.

Hello,

I have tried to install freeware sceneries from fscloudport and flight-sim.org and nothing works. I looked for documentation on the internet and I found plenty of explanations, inconsistant with each others, and none of them works.

I assume that has change in a recent version and available explanations are obsolete. I also assume there is somewhere and up to date documentation but I did not find it.

First, I would like to say that I installed the amazing Hawai scenery, I did what the documentation stated, copying the folders in C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery, and that works flawlessly.

However, when I try to install other freeware, it does not work. For example I tried to install l'île d'yeu. The documentation says: "Simply unzip the file and put the LFEY folder where you usually put your airport sceneries. Note it is a 'one folder package' "

I tried everywhere.

In Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery, nothing works.

In Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery, nothings works.

in Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\airports, the airport works! but not hi-res photos and not buildings

In Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\places, the building works, but not hi-res photos and airport.

There has to be somewhere where you can just put the complete folder and everything works, but I could not find it. Same thing with other sceneries from flight-sim.org

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't use Facebook, so I guess the best option is Rift S.

My GPU is a GTX 1070 8 RAM, Intel i7-8700 3.20 GHz, 16 GB installed RAM.

If there is a better advice please share it with me.

Thank you everyone for the help.

You'll need facebook for Rift S as much as for Quest 2, in both case it is Oculus, so Facebook. Note that you don't have to use Facebook, they will create an account for you, the only problem is if you don't want to create a facebook account as a matter of principle or not.

Buying a Rift S now makes little sense I think, unless you get it second hand really cheap. The resolution of the Quest 2 is much better, and specifically for AFS2 resolution is key, for the readability of gauges and screens.

The only problem is that your 1070 is a bit light for the resolution of the Quest. But specifically for AFS2 it should be OK, as long as you don't push details too high. You really want better resolution in AFS2, even if you need to reduce details.

That does not necessarily apply to other games in which your 1070 will often be a bit weak to handle correctly the Quest 2 resolution.

Currently as I said alternatives are mainly on the high-end (personnaly I have pre-ordered an HP Reverb G2). At 350€, competition has given up.

Right now Oculus Quest 2 is a no-brainer if you don't mind getting a facebook account. Only high-end headsets like the Valve Index or the soon to be release HP Reverb G2 are clearly better, but they are way more expensive.

A good GPU will still be required, though. If you tell us your current GPU you will get better advices.

Why should you, or anyone else who is not a member of the IPACS team, be given access to their plans?X(

Well, AFS has always been advertised as a flight simulator "in progress". Not a finished product. Most people bought AFS full price anyway, and did it on the premise that AFS would improve with time. While not being officially a "early access" product, to some extent it is.

So it is not absurd to think that IPACS owes some information to its customers about its roadmap.

So far, the official line (if my understanding is correct) was that IPACS was working on developping a full-fledge flight simulator with all the feature that we are waiting for. It would have taken years, which was understandable, but that would be done.

With the release of MSFS, this is becoming unlikely. AFS2 can't be a MSFS competitor. AFS2 will become a niche product, so the question is, on what niche do they focus.

There is no rush, but it would be nice of them, at some point, to share their thought.

Sorry to insist, but in the beta I still can't find ILS frequencies on the navigation or location interface, whereas it was there on the previous version.

One of the problem is that you don't now anymore if the runway featuresan ILS or not. You have to choose it, go to your plane, check whether you MCDU has loaded an ILS frequency, if it did not, go back to the navigation interface and try another runway. It is very annoying.

Unless I am missing something and I am the only one who has this problem.

Thanks very much for your advice. I have a GTX 1070 so I may be pushing it a bit, although I get very good FPS using a standard 2d screen. (Up to 200 with Vulkan enabled). You have given me much additional food for thought. Thanks both.

I have a GTX 1070 and an Oculus Rift CV1 (I am planning to update both very soon to RTX 3080/HP Reverb). I pushed supersampling to high values to "emulate" higher resolutions, to check performances. It's OK in AFS2, I would not advice to buy one in this context but if you have it it does the job.

It mainly depends on how tolerant you are to motion smoothing. When the game can't provide 90 FPS, it drops to 45 FPS, but the system emulate 90 FPS by generating missing frames to make smooth motion. People might notice it more or less. It works great at smoothing head movement, but if you fly fast at low altitude, the landscape movement are not properly interpolated and you can definitely notice artefacts. In a civilian flight sim it is really not that bad.

It's when the frame rate drop under 45 FPS that it becomes sickening. But that should not happen in AFS2 with a decent CPU and a GTX 1070. You can forget MSFS, though.

Hello, I am using beta and I get some ILS issues.

Whatever happened to ILS frequencies? They were previously available on the navigation map, and now I can't find them. Having to look for them on the internet, when you are in VR, is really annoying.

Also, it seems to me that the onboard navigation computer on the A320 is not proprely fill anymore with ILS frequencies when you make a flight plan in the flight plan editor. EDIT: THe MCDU is properly loading ILS frequency, when ILS is available... the problem being you don't know when it is and when it is not from the flight plane editor.

Oculus Quest 2 is likely to become the obvious choice for those who don't want want to pay too much and who don't mind getting a facebook account (and linking it to their gaming activity).

Its resolution is very nice, which is a very important point for simmers.

However, if you are a complete beginner, you should be aware that such resolution come to a price in terms of GPU. Even in the context of AFS2, you want 90 FPS, there is a massive amount of pixels to refresh, if you don't have at least a GTX 1080 I suggest you get a RTX 3070 (or more) when it will be released. Which makes the whole setup not that cheap. The question is therefore, considering you have to spend a lot of money anyway, maybe that makes more sense to spend a couple hundreds euros more and go directly for the HP Reverb G2 which is clearly superior.

Also, it seems from early tests (unconfirmed) that the performances of Oculus Quest 2 are slightly lower than those of the HP Reverb G2 (in terms of FPS on a given PC), even though the resolution of the G2 is better. That might be explained by the fact that Oculus Link requires the GPU to compress images before their transmission to the headset.

Thanks for the tip, I was not trying to go forward. It helps a lot, making the tip of the lever significantly closer. I suppose it is just like in a car and you can move the chair forward and backward in real life, in the simulation it is not the case and it is stuck at the most backward possible position.

Also, using an Oculus Rift CV1 which makes all games integrating a pretty good myopia simulation, being closer to the instruments helps. I can't wait for the HP Reverb G2.

Yes but then to be in a comfortable position to get the lever I have to be too low relatively to the instrument panel, my eyes are hardly higher than it, I can't properly see ahead. I feel like I am 1.50m high.

If you look at that photo from a ec135 youtube video:

You can see that the guy is clearly not a giant, his eyes are much higher than the instrument panel, and he can hold the collective lever in a relatively low position without completely stretching his arm.

I can't do that in the simulation. By far.

It's really an issue because so far I could not find a way to comfortably fly the EC135.

I guess most people are using physical controls and not virtual hands for the collective lever, but as flying with virtual hands is pretty well implemented, it's sad that we have this problem.

Any feedback from other virtual hand players would be much appreciated.

Also, it seems to me that the "scaling factor" in the settings could solve the problem if there were not this silly bug that makes virtual hands scale as well. A feedback from IPACS on this would be nice.

I have often the feeling that the scale of cockpits are not compeltely right in VR, but as I am not pilot in real life I can never be sure.

However in the EC135 there is something really wrong.

After a normal recentering (sitting straight and pressing the recentring button), I can't catch the collective lever without leaning. It's too far away, maybe 10 cm too far away to catch it comfortably. So I have to raise my head before the centering, in order to center to a lower position, to be able to comfortably grip the collective lever. Which I don't like because the reduces my visibility.

I understand that the recentring is made for a fixed height and I am not very tall (1.72m), but still clearly to have an arm 10 cm longer I would need to be something like 2m height. I can't believe the game is setup for people that tall, and anyway someone that high would have his head much closer to the roof.

I tried to play with the "scale factor", but sadly it does not help because, for some weird reason, it does not make just the helicopter appearing smaller, but also your arms! My hands appear closer than where they actually are, so the problem is strictly the same.

Does anyone have the same issue? Any solution?

EDIT: After a quick checking, maybe being 1.90m would be enough, but still I find rather strange that 1) you have to be that tall and 2) even when you are that tall you need to have you arm fully streched to get the lever. Usually levers are not made to be gripped with the arm fully streched. Any comment on that from a real pilot would be appreciated

I guess its only expert mode for now and this one might not need an 'easy option' like the R22....

Bit of a rough flight with this gentle lady to get a feel of the improved flightmodel. I lowered the collective too much in a roll and nearly crashed.

Better is just a bit of lower collective when upside down then it rolls quite nicely... :)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hello, is it Orbx Innsbruck? Sorry for the offtopic, but how is the framerate? Recently bought Paris from France VFR, but it is unplayable in VR :( Now I try to get some ffedback on that before purchasing...