Posts by FL54

Well if you don’t hear the gear touching the runway you’ll end up pitching up or down which makes you bounce. So… yeah.

Below 5-10ft you usually don't apply (significant) pitch changes. With the RA and/or RA callout that's an easy one.

IRL you don't hear the touchdown either, nor do you feel it. An indication that you actually have touched down is e.g. the speed brake lever moving and/or the indication the spoilers have extended.

FL54 OK, I found a description of the Boeing's reverse operation. The mechanical structure of the interlock restricts the movement of the reverse thrust handle until the reverse thrust sleeve is close to the deployed position.

A related description in an Airbus's video on normal procedures for crosswind landings: When facing a high crosswind landings, reverse can affect the operational efficiency of the rudder. Therefore, the reverse push should be maintained until the nose wheel aligns with the runway center line.

I both cases this has nothing to do with the application of reverse thrust after nose gear touchdown.

I don't see any connection neither with the interlock nor crosswind ops.

The reply I received was "the main mode of deceleration is still braking, in general, when the handle is pulled to the maximum thrust level, the engine delay response time is enough for the nose wheel to touch the ground", "perhaps the specific regulations vary by airline".

1. Except in an emergency you don't use maximum reverse thrust IRL. Usually idle reverse is sufficient.

IRL, the autobrake system uses a specific deceleration value. More reverse thrust means less wheel braking. Using more that idle reverse thrust doesn't decrease the landing distance. There's certainly no need to rush the application of reverse thrust.

2. The reason why you wait until the nosewheel is firmly on the ground is that you need a lot of rudder and to counteract the swing if the engines spool up unevenly, even with the nosewheel on the ground.

On the 767 and 777 it's in the 'real' sim almost impossible to stay within the runway boundaries if an engine failure occurs between 30 an 60kts during takeoff.

Once you have experienced this scenario, it's common sense, not to apply reverse thrust with the nose still in the air.

Calculating reverse thrust with an 'expected' spool up delay doesn't make sense, because the engines start to spool up immediately.

Besides controlling the derotation, you would have to very carefully watch the N1/EPR gauges for any delevoping asymmetry. Furthermore derotation time varies a lot with touchdown pitch attitude and derotation technique.

IRL at least on the 757/767 and A320 the AP doesn't disenage at all on its own!

It's funny to watch in the real sim when pilots are trying to vacate the runway via a suitable taxiway only to find out that the still engaged AP prevents that.

Max.M Sounds pretty dangerous to me if it disconnects on it' own at 80kts during the roll out, especially during a CAT III landing!!!

Don't know about the newer 737s, but on the older 737s the AP disengages at touchdown because the AP doesn't have a rollout capability.

You don't need to guess the weight.

It's essential to know it before takeoff, since you should check if the FMC computed speeds like V2, Vref etc. correct.

Since chances are close to zero that the numbers are wrong in Aerofly, you know the weight. 😉

The FMC’s automatic power management has more safeguards than does manually activating a thrust limit.

Thrust limit and thrust management are two separte items. Thrust management doesn't have any safeguards concerning engine limits.

The 737 wing is pre-rigged at one degree of incidence and the new 737 NG/MAX aerofoil might have the Cl/Cd vs angle of attack curve peaking at less than four degrees so the cockpit AoA instrumentation display in Aerofly might not match the real thing.

This doesn't make sense. AoA is simply measured along the fuselage axis. At level flight AoA equals pitch attitude.

Furthermore the incidence angle and/or airfoil changes along the wingspan.

If you are flying at a 4° AoA you should significantly lower your altitude.

I still think that if the signal receiver is positioned in the right place, the glideslope displayed by the PAPI will become similar to the glideslope displayed by the instrument, instead of the PAPI always showing you above the glideslope when using an ILS approach. . The position of the receiver should now be in the center of the aircraft.

The marker beacons have absolutely nothing to do with altitude, ILS GP or PAPI/VASI.

My airplane art:

Bernt Stolle - Art for Sale | Fine Art America

i let the aeroplane climb up to about 20/23 or 24,000 feet (while still having a target of 33,000 set in the MCP) and engaged the CRZ thrust limit.... Activating CRZ above 30,000 is still fine as long as the vertical speed is lowered

Why on earth do you select CRZ limit while still climbing and especially at such low altitudes?

You should always climb with the CLB limit selected.

I don't know what the simulated weight of the Aerofly 737 is, but e.g. the A320 IRL struggles with anything above FL300 at high weight.

Check the pitch attitude during cruise. If it's higher than 2-2.5deg you are simply too heavy for this FL.

My airplane art:

Bernt Stolle - Art for Sale | Fine Art America