Posts by belatu42

-carb heat is a must for sure!

-what do you mean by the flare is too weak?

-I'm not sure that it's the yaw that is off or the throttle implementation. I have noticed that the manifold pressure bounces around sometimes with minor collective adjustments. So it could actually be something in the power application coding.

In the actual aircraft, the manifold pressure doesn't rapidly change unless there is a problem.

My biggest wish would be to improve the sounds. The engine sounds seems constant and dronish compared to the real aircraft. Also, adding dynamic blade slap would improve the immersion immensely. It's also a good indicator that your approach is slightly off.

I took a video of the gauge cluster during my last flight, solo flight, around 1150 lbs takeoff weight, winds 10-15 kts. Normal takeoffs/descents, steep & shallow approaches, quick stops, running landings, pedal turns and hover circles (both nose in & tail in) and pirouettes down a line at about 10 kts.

I will recreate the flight in AFS2 when I have some time and compare the performance.

My wonder is if my (even lower model than your) joystick and pedals are simply too coarse to ever fly smoothly.

That is to say, my joystick requires a lot of force to move, and rudder has stickiness to it. So tiny moves and finesse are near impossible.

If the flight model is accurate, this means flying with my input devices could be more difficult than the real thing.

This... exactly this...

The governor could fail and then you'd need manual control over the throttle and the twist grip is an easy way to access all controls at the same time.

In the real aircraft he throttle handle is actuated by the governor, so it rotates as you pull the collective as far as I know.

The throttle is governed and also has a correlator.

Throttle control is absolutely a factor in real world training with the R-22. Governor off training is required to pass a PPL checkride. It is also not possible to practice autorotations without throttle control.

I found some information about trim mechanism of R22: http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/15554-r22-trim/

Looks like R22 does not have the same trim as in a airplane. It's just something to help keeping the cyclic in position and reducing fatigue.

And it should only be applied during cruise, not during take off, hover, and landing.

That is correct. The R22's trim is either on, or off. You pull the lever up from the console to engage. It feels like it's attached to a big rubber band. It reduces control pressure on forward cyclic only in a cruise.

They have it wrong in that thread about the trim knob though. The knob that they are referring to is not trim, it is friction. You can add or lessen friction on the both the cyclic and collective controls.

The three things most repeated by my instructor:

1.) "Fly the aircraft" - no matter what is happening, keep flying the aircraft

2.) "Looking out" - as Sergio said above, look out towards distant objects to help keep orientation

3.) "Stay ahead of the aircraft" - you must be thinking ahead to what the aircraft will do, not reacting to what it has done.

Of course there are many more things my IP would say.

I will add more once I get more time to fly in AFS2.

While I don't have nearly the hours as some of the other members already commenting, I am a current Private Pilot primarily flying R-22s & R-44s on the reg.

I will share my thoughts and comparisons to the real thing as well as the DF R-22 for XP11.

Helicopters take time and practice and are inherently unstable. Keep practicing, all of the controls move in unison. If you adjust the collective, you have to adjust the anti-torque pedals, and in turn adjust the cyclic. Every time you adjust one control, you will have to adjust all of the other controls. It's a balancing act that eventually will just click. Small movements on the cyclic, hold it with fingertips and "weld" your wrist to your leg.

If you're serious about helicopter simming, invest in good 1:1 controls. If its just casual, keep to the easy flight mode and a regular joystick.

The basic flight mode, axis stability and joystick curves are in the software because of the limitations of user hardware, not because you are not as good of a pilot.

Another saying I would hear a lot:

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old, bold pilots."

In actual flight training the most important lesson is to not exceed your capabilities. Stay within your limits and you will survive to train and extend those limits. Pilots that exceed their limits often become statistics,