Posts by Donny

Probably your tail gear braking off or something :D

The wheel remains in the correct position so I don't think so. It's a massive 90 degree pitch up for about 4 seconds, then a violent pitch down until I not-so-gently hit the ground haha. I'm assuming it's a rigidbody or something out of place.

HI Alex

I believe all angles in FS2 are radians. I use an android app called unit converter, it does pretty much every unit conversions you can think of, Probably others for IOS if that's your flavour

Steve

Thanks for that Steve, the app is great! And again, amazing work on the Starfighter!

Alex

Hey guys,

I'm back from a small vacation over the weekend and ready to get stuck back into things. After playing with the amazing Starfighter I am very motivated to get stuck back into it!

I've currently put the gear on hold (they work... sorta) and am changing things up a bit to try get this badboy to fly! Moving on to the wings, fuselage & prop.

Cheers,

Alex

Can anyone tell me if the aerowing station incidence is in degrees or radians?

Cheers,

Alex

Hey Matt,

That's me indeed! Thanks so much for your kind words.

Two Spitfires potentially coming to FS2?! How exciting 😁😁 I'm keen to fly a different variant!

I'm not sure about the mk1, but there was three different rims fitted to the mk ix I believe - a three spoke, four spoke and a five spoke. So don't worry, you're all good ;)

Good luck with your project!

Alex

That is a correct imagination (sounds weird, is this even english) :D

Replace hyd. cylinder with damper though. cylinder would be diagonally to pull in the gear.

F4u also rotates the landing gear as it is being retracted, thats why there is an extra body, that you probably wont need.

Thanks!

Is this the damper you're talking about?

Code
    <[oleo_pneumatic_damper][FrontGearDamper][]

Edit: Ah I misunderstood you, I see what you mean now :)

I've done it :') Gear is now not exploding! A little rigid and I still need to set up the dampers, but progress!

Yeap that did the trick (mostly).

I noticed the F4u has 3 gear rigidbodies, just wondering what the third is? The F4u's landing gear is a lot more complex (at least it looks like it) than the Spitfire - would I only need two? One for the main strut and one for the wheel connection?

Here's how I'd imagine it to be?

EDIT: Whoops, I think the Hydraulic Cylinder and Joint should be swapped

Thanks for the explanation Jan!

I think I've made a little bit of progress but alas my plane is still exploding :D Is the inertia length considered to be 'local'? For instance the tail wheel is rotated at say, a 45 degree angle. Is the X distance the distance from the start of the tailwheel strut to the end, or from the xMin bounding box to the xMax?

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks so much Steve for those tips, they are incredibly useful!

I havn't had much of a chance to do anything today but I think I understand how the gear works (including joints etc). Very cool.

That being said I'm a little confused on how I'd set-up the Tail Wheel for the spit. It has the main strut, then the free-castering part with the wheel attached. Should the free-castering part be its own RB, or is that handled by the wheel?

Also, does the mass of the fuselage take into account the loaded fuel, oil etc, or is just purely the 'empty' fuselage?

And what do the parameters of the collisionhull represent? Particularly K and D?

Cheers

Edit: Spoke too soon, aircraft now explodes upon spawn thanks to some dodgy gears :D

Would this be the connection between the wing (I know it says fuselage) and the gear that rotates it up into the gear bay? Not too sure what the parameters mean.

Code
     <[hydraulic_cylinder][RightGearCyclinder][]
                    <[string8][Body0][Fuselage]>
                    <[string8][Body1][RightGear]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 1.2338 -1.636 -0.6029 ]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R1][ 1.827 -1.636 -1.000 ]>
                    <[float64][Stroke][-0.31]>
                    <[float64][K][50000000.0]>
                    <[float64][D][100000.0]>
                    <[string8][Control][MapRightGear1.Output]>
                >

Ah of course, very silly of me.

This may be a dumb question, but do you edit the tmd file in the Intermediate folder and convert the AC everytime, or just work in the output folder?

Also, is R0 relative to the RigidBody it is connected to?

Hmm, not sure I follow. I just copy pasted from the F4u and changed the pivot, axis and radius.