Posts by philmoz

As you can see from the screenshot the display is very hard to read.

All the extra OSD elements under the View menu are rendered very small and hard to read (model settings, flight information etc).

It would be really nice to have a proper setting to scale all the OSD elements.

On an iMac Pro with 5K display it's way too small - really needs to be fixed please.

A slight workaround to at least be able to read the text is to enable the scroll gesture for zooming in the Settings / Accessibility / Zoom tab.

Set this to the Control key and you can use the mouse/trackpad + Control key to zoom in on the display where the mouse is located.

Don't forget to zoom back out to continue flying :)

In case it helps here are some screen grabs from Xcode Instruments tool with a Metal Trace.

RC7 - Appears to be double buffered and maintains a steady frame rate aligned with VSync.

RC8 - Appears to be triple buffered; but the display doesn't seem to be able to maintain a steady rate. VSync alignment looks odd as well.

I'm seeing screen tearing - visible break where objects and terrain is sheared horizontally (same as reported for FS2).

Also experiencing stutters where frames appear to be dropped (although FPS counter does not change).

I appreciate fixing things like this can take time; it's not totally unusable (but not as smooth as RC7).

One thing is the plane does not appear to be affected, only terrain and objects. Even if the plane is close and quite large it remains stable; but I can see tearing in the background behind it.

Mac version of RC8 is very disappointing :(

Looks like it's based on the FS2 code and has the same tearing and stuttering in the display.

Even at Low & 50% settings the display is not smooth - unlike RC7 which is super smooth even at Ultra 70% on my Mac.

FPS counter shows a solid 60 frames.

This is on an iMac Pro with 32GB Ram and Vega 56 GPU - it should really not have these issues.

At the price being charged this is pretty poor (IMHO).

I can reproduce a crash with the Jungmeister aircraft almost every time with the following steps.

- Graphics settings - Fullscreen, 75%, Lens flare either off or on.

- Graphics quality - High, Medium or Low (have not tried Ultra)

- Location - Palo Alto 32L on the ground

- Aircraft - F4U Corsair

- Take off and fly for a few seconds.

- Exit back to the menu, and change aircraft to Jungmeister

- Click Start to resume flying - CRASH!!!

I have not yet found any consistent way to trigger a crash. I have uploaded a number of crash reports to Apple, hopefully they may give some clues.

When I first stared using the app, I found that changing the plane to the Jungmeister during a flight would crash always when returning to the flight. However this stopped after I changed the quality settings and has not happened again. I’ll see if I can reproduce this.

The tearing of the display happens most often if the plane is changing direction quickly e.g. in a sharp turn. Even though the FPS display hovers between 59 and 61, it seems the code can’t keep up with the large changes in the terrain rendering somehow.

I really like the app; but I have similar experience on an iMac Pro (8 core, 32GB, Vega 56).

Lots of crashes, video tearing (even when FPS is a solid 60), stuttering, etc.

Video drivers for Mac are provided by Apple - if the OS is up to date (mine is) then so is the video driver.

I found setting the graphics to 75% or less and ‘High’ quality (or lower) helps stability; but it sill dies quite often.

When it crashes send the report to Apple, hopefully these crash reports will be analysed by the developers and fixes will eventually appear (fingers crossed).

I’ve been a software developer for a very long time and worked on Mac apps in the past. If you want assistance with more in depth testing or capturing log files (if the app supports it) let me know.

Many thanks, these are awesome :)

There are a couple of issues on the Mac version of FS2 (2.04.11.01):

- Rutan Long-EZ - crashes the app after selecting the aircraft and pressing the Start button to begin flying.

- Beechcraft C18S - OK in the air; but on the ground the plane keeps resetting like after a plane crash (rear door starts to open, then plane resets).