Posts by Lucky1960

I usually paint the whole water and only leave a bit of coastline unless coral water, where i leave a bit more coastline. I was nit sure about the transparency. A few test I did left me in the believing thats transparency does not work properly.

Thank you for your explanation. Could you please kindly show one picture with your costline and the transmission from your painted tile to the "original" Aerofly water?

If I have understood you correctly, you fill the whole picture with "sea" color. I've done it differently so far. I deleted water content in order to preserve with the resulting transparency the original sea with its colours and patterns. However, with this method I have sharp borders between the AeroScenery water and the original Aerofly water.

Before editing:

After editing with GIMP:

In Aerofly FS 2:

What do you think?

Here an intermediate result: I removed all "old" working grids with the default degrees settings and kept only the newly created grids with the 0.01 degrees settings. Those grids were loading in patches, when I had the other grids too. My new test flight was without loading in patches. :)

Maybe, I will have to recreate all grids with 0.01. =O

Level 9, 11,12,13 and 14 need to be created

Which Zoom Level do you select? Mine is 17.

My test with the setting Shrink TMC grid squares by 0.01 degrees failed. I produced 7 grids with the before mentioned settings and all are loading in patches :(. But the processing time was much less. So I will keep this setting for future areas. ;)

Currently my PC recreates the areas neighbouring to the incorrect grids with the 0.01 setting, although the old grids were free of errors. Maybe, neighbouring surfaces must have the same settings :/.

I will report.

Thank you very much for the solution! I created a lot of sceneries in Europe (parts of Germany, Italy and France) with AeroScenery (always: Grid Square Selection Size: 9, Image Source: Bing, Zoom Level 17, AFS Levels 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14) without problems. Then came up the same probs with loading in patches you reported.

I changed the decimal format and put the Shrink TMC grid squares from default to 0.01 degrees. This seems to be the solution. :)

The most remarkable think is, that the processing time for one Grid reduced from approx. 9-10 hours to 2,5 hours with the same output quality! OMG, I wasted so much time with the wrong settings. Have you noticed too such a significant reduction in processing time?

I put "Write Raw Files" to "No", but with the setting "Write Images with Mask" I'm not certain. What does it mean? When do I need masks?

Thank you, Hartman :thumbup:

Now I have an idea, how to set the Image Detail and AFS Levels. My PC seems not to be the fastest. It worked approx. 1 1/2 (!) days for one Level 9 Grid with Image Detail 18 and the AFS Levels 9-14. So I decided to go with Image Detail 17 for my favoured areas (10 hours).

Coming to the Settings of the AeroScenery program:

GeoConvert:

Write Images With Mask: YES, if the Grid Square Selection Size is below Size 9, in case that I also have a Level 9 grid in this area (with lower resolution).

Write Raw Files: When does the program or I need those Raw Files? Should it always been set to "Yes"?

Image Processing:

Do you change those settings generally or only in special cases?

I typically generate level 9,10,12,13 with zoom level 16 in areas. Towns or special places get level 13-14 with zoom level 19. My home area has level 9-14 with zoom level 19. If ortho imagery is super good I will make special areas level 15 with zoom level 20 but that's rare.

Hi Jake, thank you for your comment. I think, your levels are a good choice.

Are there any differences in image quality between the different Image Levels aside from the resolution? A one step higher Image Level increases the processing time by factor 4! I made a chart with different settings and put those settings in bold figures, which I plan to use for my projects. I selected Image Levels, that are a little bit below the resolution, which I could reach with the corresponding AFS level (e.g. Image Level 0,597 vs. AFS 0,5), but regarding the time savings, I think, that those little resolution losses are justified.

What's your opinion?

Image Level meter/pixel AFS Level meter/pixel resolution in SF 2 VFR altitude
    19 0,299 15 0,5 0,500 airports/ground (optional)
    18 0,597 15 0,5 0,597 airports/ground (optional)
    18 0,597 14 1,0 1,000 cities/airports < 3.000 ft.
    17 1,194 14 1,0 1,194 cities/airports < 3.000 ft.
    17 1,194 9 - 13 2,0 2,000 VFR flights 3.000 - 6.000 ft.
    16 2,389 9 - 13 2,0 2,389 VFR flights 3.000 - 6.000 ft.
    16 2,389 9 - 12 4,0 4,000 basic structure > 6.000 ft.
    15 4,777 9 - 12 4,0 4,777 basic structure > 6.000 ft.

Hi guys,

I'm starting to create sceneries in Germany and Italy with the wonderful AeroScenery tool. A great help is the "Guide for FS2 Scenery Creation using AeroScenery" (AeroScenery Guide 3 from flight-Sim.org).

According to the guide, I made the following settings:

Image Source: bing

Grid Square Selection Size: 9 (necessary for the creation of AFS Level 9)

Image Detail (Zoom Level): 18

Generate AFS Levels: 9, 11, 12, 13, 14

The production of the Tiles is very time consuming (approx. one day for one tile ||). But as I like VFR simming in low altitude (2.000 ft or lower), I appreciate a good resolution of the ground.

As I don't want to spend too much time for the production of the tiles, I would like to reduce the quality a bit.

Which Image Sources, Zoom Levels and AFS Levels do you use for VFR and are you happy with the results?

Luca

Might I suggest you use "AeroScenery" which is easy to use and with no over lap problems.

Kindest Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your advice. I tried AeroScenery several times, but I never came to any result. I wanted to create my litte Lisbon scenery even with AeroScenery, but the GeoConvert tool runs much longer than it does in cooperation with FS Earth Tiles (only few minutes). So I aborted it after more than one hour. I tried AeroScenery even before, but it never came to any result.

Could you please kindly show me your AeroScenery settings for my attached example? I used for this the GeoConvert Helper with the detail levels 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14. My PC worked in total round about 4-5 days with it ||.

Kindest regards

Luca

Hi guys,

I kindly ask you, how you deal with the borders between two self produced sceneries.

I produced with FS Earth Tiles and GeoConvertHelper a small test scenery called "Lisboa1", wihich includes the center of Lisbon down to river Tajo and a second test scenery, named "Lisboa2" including the river and a small part of the south. As you can see on the screenshots "FS Earth Tiles Lisboa1a.jpg" and "FS Earth Tiles Lisboa2a.jpg", there is a small strip of overlapping between the two sceneries. I saved the two sceneries in two different folders in ...\images\PT\.

When I select the starting place (Lisbon airport), I can only see the scenery Lisboa1 and not the second one (please see "Where is Lisboa2.jpg"). After starting, the moving map shows the first scenery "Lisboa1" correctly and only the southern part of the second scenery "Lisboa2" ("Southern Part of Lisboa2.jpg"). Flying to the southern end of the first scenery, it's still the same problem, that there is a gap between the two sceneries ("Border Lisboa1 and Lisboa2.jpg"). the first scenery "Lisboa1" is shown correctly and the gap is the missing northern part of "Lisboa2".

These two sceneries are only examples for you. I would like to create several sceneries for Germany and Italy and wonder, how I can avoid those ugly borders between the sceneries.

Thank you for assistance!

Luca

Hi, I downloaded the files of a major part of Tuscany/Italy with FSEarthTiles.exe, which took approx. 2 1/2 days for 176 GB :huh:. Maybe I should select smaller regions in future. ;)

Now runs the GeoConvert Helper since one day and has still one day to work (5.000 files in level 14 left). But I must shut down my PC today.

My question: Is it possible to stopp the programm and to continue it later at the point, where I stopped it? If not, could I run it only with the level 14, so that I would save at least the time of converting the other levels?

Luca

Stupid question: where do I find the proper BGL files in FSX, when I want to create one particular airport or runway, for example EDFE Egelsbach/Germany?