Posts by ozhomeroz

I see you got it working, its a 30 metre mesh so improvements will be modest.

Just for some info for you and others needing help.

I think your source is fine just your files are wrong, just use the tfw file that came with the download, its perfect.

here are mine

Contents of srtm_67_19.FTW

0.0008333333 < pixel resolution, yours should be same as we both using 6000x6000 file from the same source, check your hdr & files its in there.

-0.0008333333 <pixel resolution, yours should be same as we both using 6000x6000 file from the same source, check your hdr files its in there.

150.0000000000 < Change Coords to suit your location again can be found in hdr file an TFW file

-29.9999995157 < Change Coords to suit your location again can be found in hdr file an TFW file

My mesh_conv.tmc

<[file][][]

<[tmcolormap_regions][][]

<[string] [folder_source_files][./input_aerial_images/]>

<[bool] [write_images_with_mask][false]> // global flag -> if this is true, no image is created

// if a mask is required. if this is false you can still

// disable mask images for a selected level, see below

// images with mask are always 'problematic'. rule of thum

// is to create an area as large as possible

<[bool] [write_ttc_files][false]>

<[bool] [do_heightmaps][true]>

<[string8][folder_destination_ttc][./scenery/images/]>

<[string8][folder_destination_heightmaps][./scenery/images/]>

<[bool] [always_overwrite][true]>

<[list][region_list][]

<[tmheightmap_region][element][0]

<[uint32] [level] [11]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_min] [149.9995833 -29.9995828]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_max] [155.0004167 -35.0004162]>

<[bool] [write_images_with_mask][false]> // do not create images that would require a mask

>

>

>

>

Not only did I read QWERTY42's tutorial but also another by crispy136

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…-for-australia/

You will notice I only used Level 11 like crispy136 did.

This makes sense in my mind as you can still see the Level 11 mesh at higher levels any way.

Similar to how you can see the default Level 7 ish mesh at levels 8 to 15 or so.

So making meshs for levels higher than level 11 is kind of redundant.

Please anyone correct me if Im wrong in this assumption

That was awfully quick

Follow the tutorial CAREFULLY, adjusting it to your geotiff file and location

Check that you have 3 files in the correct folder as shown in the tutorial, For example mine were:

mesh_conv.tmc

srtm_67_19.tif

srtm_67_19.tfw

Did you edit mesh_conv.tmc and add the map extent of your file

Is the .tfw file correct as well

As an IT teacher I say often: 99% of mistakes are spelling mistakes.

For homework, check your input files are correct and in the correct places.

You cannot just use QWERTYs files as is, you need to make adjustments to the them mesh_conv.tmc and tfw file to suit your map for mauritius.

If no data isn't the issue it could be the elevation format.

For example the 30 metre mesh I used was in 16bit format and apart from the fixable no data spikes worked great.

But when I tried to add a 5 metre mesh using 32bit format on top, it was all spikes.

So it makes me suspect that it may be a elevation data format thing in my case when adding the 5 mtre mesh on top of 30 metre mesh.

In Qgis check what elevation format your file uses, 16 or 32bit

Well, cleaned perhaps but not spotless, not for NSW Central Coast of Australia

I spent a few hours cleaning in GIMP

In GIMP the geotiff will be much much darker, so you will have to change colour levels, this just makes it brighter on your monitor but it don't change the actual colours in the file (I THINK, I'm a GIMP noob but it worked)).

Then I used the colour picker and choose neighboring pixel to match colour, aka interpolate by hand lol.

Then I reverted the colour levels just to be sure and then exported as tiff.

My dear dude there's a tutorial video by qwerty42 on page 1 of this very thread explaining the process.

The only difference is the source file, Qwerty42 got his files from USGS site

But the process is the same and even easier as you are dealing with one geotiff file and not two like the tutorial, so finding the map extent will be easier.

Follow the Tutorial video, thats how I did it , with some adjustment for my part of the world, co-ordinates, map extent etc.

As I said you can't see them no data's in QGis as Qgis has the ability to interupt and render them correctly.

Sadly geoconvert and fortunately GIMP don't.

Open the geotiff in gimp, if there are lots of white dots/areas thats your problem (Not visible in Qgis)

If not, the problem is something else.

I have some thoughts about it but need to check stuff before I say more.

As I had similar issues when I tried to add a 5m mesh on top of the SRTM 30 metre mesh in selected areas.

I left that problem for a later time and just haven't got back to it yet. Just been enjoying the 30 metre. :P

This may help

I got my SRTM 30 metre data from this site

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/srtmdata/

it has geotiff's that cover most parts of the planet

I used the 5 x 5 degree tiles, which geoconvert real quick like say 15 minutes from my bad memory when I did NSW Central Coast of Australia

Just watch out for No Data Pixels in the source geotiff, which you will have to expunge as when geoconverted they become 20,000ft spikes.

Nothing Gimp can't fix.

Hello peoples

I have some questions found in TLDR at the bottom of this post for any who might assist me in solving a problem Im having.

Though first I want to say Wow what at great game and give you some background on me, my setup and my problem

Wow this game is awesome, looks great and is very simple to get into and more importantly mod.

I say this as a non pilot gamer, whose cup of tea in sim games is more MS Combat Flight Sim3 than MS Fight Sim whats its name.

I needed a game to try out my new head tracker and HOTAS setup up with.

And frankly I found out all the other flight sims had meh graphics unless you traded your childrens education and then they were still meh compared to this one after doing some research on the web.

So after trying Aerofly I liked it, well the areas that were done.

The Default undone stuff is meh like those other sims

Anyway not to complain as I understand the situation concerning this.

So I bought the DLC addon's to spruce up the game and reduce the undone areas for what I though was reasonable cost.

And it was good.

So I fly around for a while and then got bored as its not combat game but thats not bad or a complaint and as a gamer I got games for that.

So I would play the game form time to time depending on whim.

One time I loaded my home town Sydney. What a disappointment in comparison to the other "Done" areas

Well this of course was my start to Modding the game. Wow, the results and not every difficult thanks to the great tools made by the developers and community

First I did the Orthogrphic textures in Google and Bing to compare and it blew my mind at the different it made

Next tried my hand at cultivation, still working on it to bring it to standard but have put that aside for messing with elevation meshes.

And this is area of modding were my questions lay so hope I posted in the the right place.

Background on the problem:

I made an elevation map following the video tutorial at the beginning of the thread.

The source geotiff came from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/srtmdata/ and its quite a large area which I though good as it far exceeded my usual flying area reducing masking problems.

So I downloaded a 5 x 5 degree tile called srtm_67_19.zip

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/ceUM2pt.jpg]

OverViewtemp.jpg

I used the contents of this file and made the elevation images successfully.

But when I started the game got those 20000ft things sticking out of the ground.

Since the file is a geotiff and knowing nuthing about nothing did some research and discovered Qgis

I could see the map real good saw no apparent problem so I thought I'd try another program, opened the thing in gimp and had a look

I could hardly see a thing as the contrast was no where near as good as in Qgis but I could see the outline of the coast, highest peaks and a bunch of white dots.

These white dots after some research were nodata pixels and not visible in Qgis whilst visible in Gimp as white dots and visible in game as those 20000ft things.

At this time my thinking was I dont have a clue, Lets wing it.

You know what they say, a little information ......

Any way before I learnt Gimp couldn't edit with geotiff without losing geo data, I used Gimp to edit a copy and it worked rather good with some problems and work

Firstly I'm an MS paint Man, so I'm learning Gimp real fast and got the colour dropper/picker and picked a dark pixel next to the white nodata pixel, then used that colour on the white no data pixel.

Now I like my home town Sydeny so I did this by hand pixel by pixel and untill nodata was driven outa a town. Lucky for Sydney their wasn't that many dots.

For other parts of the map I frequent less, unfortunately/ fortunately their was much more dots. I like those parts less so used a bigger brush, MS Paint style.

And then ran geoconvert, installed it and it was good.

Except now I had a new problem which was now the Ocean was now 20000ft I think, not sure exactly but I still had them 20000ft things near the coast

At this stage I'm like busting to get this thing to work already so having a wild guess the ocean is causing my problems.

So I go into gimp grab a beach pixel, should be close enough to sea level, right! And use this colour to fill the ocean.

Reconvert and works great with a small loss of detail compared to the original geotiff but no 2000ft things and heaps better then the default.

TLDR:

So two questions

Is their an easier way to deal with the no data issue and how do you deal with masks for example the Sydney Coast/Ocean interface does that need a mask.

Can masks be used on Nodata pixels so that rather than 20000ft spikes the default terrain mesh shows underneath which probably much less noticeable than a 20,000ft spike.

Its not a big deal I'm happy with my current results so are, just wondering if their a better way

I did some screens shoots to compare.

Default mesh

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/Mj6CwxV.jpg]

SRMT 30m Mesh

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/8n1RQ8w.jpg]

SRMT 30m Mesh after spike removal with Gimp

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/PdO7sbI.jpg]

The improvement over the default mesh is obvious though some detail maybe lost when the geotiff is edited in Gimp

Or it could just be a slightly different camera angle, should of used the developers camera I guess

Now to learn to cultivation guid

Great game