Posts by Tregarth

Jan, I don't understand this. Is there another carrier model? I would like to see it, I thought the Hornet was the only carrier in AeroFly.

The Apollo scenery is very impressive and worth a look.

I have posted a comment on the path to install the add-on in "F/A 18 Hornet Manual?"

"I recognise Sylvain Parouty's and Javier Fernandez's names from FSX add-ons.

For info, I followed your install path “C:\Users\InsertYourUserName\Documents\Aerofly FS2” and nothing happened, just empty sea, I then tried C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery and now have fantastic scenery and an aircraft carrier; it's a bit slow to load but so what. The arrow in the Information strip is really useful, now I can try "bolters".

I cannot understand why, if the deck is not "landable", the carrier is in the scenery. Why go to the bother of writing and including the code of something which doesn't work?

Thank you,

Tregarth

I can land the default 172 on the Hornet but as soon as the nose wheel touches the deck the plane jumps up to about 5,000'. I have full flaps, airspeed of +/-65Kts and VSI of -100 fpm which should enable me to stop on the deck but as I say, I don't seem to stay there.

I have landed on the Cape Canaveral runway in roughly similar conditions and stayed there so I would expect to be OK on the Hornet. Are there springs in the Hornet's deck which bounce me up to 5,000'?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Thank you for a very clever add-on. I recognise Sylvain Parouty's and Javier Fernandez's names from FSX add-ons.

For info, I followed your install path “C:\Users\InsertYourUserName\Documents\Aerofly FS2” and nothing happened, just empty sea, I then tried C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery and now have fantastic scenery and an aircraft carrier; it's a bit slow to load but so what. The arrow in the Information strip is really useful, now I can try "bolters".

I hope this helps and thanks,

Regards,

Tregarth

Jan,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have put the mouse over the speed brake button (SBB), the cursor changes to a left mouse button. I can drag the SBB and can see it "Judder" but that is all it does. I have used keyboard 3 for an outside look, the speed brake does not move. Similarly, I have moused over the SBB and moved the scroll wheel, again the button "judders" but nothing else happens.

As I have said before the SBB is very hard to see, could it be made a more visible colour and the "click spot" more accessible?

When I am using VR I do not use the mouse, I use the blue hands. That is the reason I bought a VR headset. I can understand using the keyboard for "non-flying commands", P is useful when the phone rings, Esc when my meal is ready but the speed brake is very definitely a flying command and so should be operable by the "blue hands". To make the trim wheel in the Cessna work in VR I had to disconnect my Sitek X-52 joystick. I have tried this in the F-18 but it had no improvement.

I find it strange that the AeroFly blurb says

"Grab the controls with your virtual hands and you will believe that you are actually flying

Native support for Oculus Rift und HTC Vive without any additional software". But the picture of the pilot in the advert in PCPilot and website shows him using a stick and throttle!

Regards,

Tregarth

Jet-Pack,

Thank you for your reply, I am using Win 10 and downloaded the program from AeroFly.

I have found the button (it is nearly invisible, a change of colour would be very helpful). The pilot can find the brake button by touch, but simmers cannot so I think a change of colour would be beneficial.

I have left clicked the button, nothing happens. I held the mouse on the button until the mouse icon faded away, neither the button nor the speed brake moved, I have rotated the mouse wheel on the button, the button "judders" back and fro but the speed brake does not move.

I can assign a joystick button to speed brake, but if using VR that will not be very realistic and does not seem to work anyway. From what I can see the button is not connected to the speed brake.

Regards,

Tregarth.

Firstly, thank you very much for the F-18 manual. It is very clear and helpful; the F-18 is good to fly.

But (there is always a but) I am having difficulty turning the Speed Brake (Airbrake) on or off. In the manual it says "Use the mouse wheel over this switch to increase or decrease the airbrake position." I have tried this using the mouse but all I see is the icon for the left mouse button. Nothing in the speed brake (SB) area shows a mouse wheel symbol.

I have printed out page 5 of the manual to see if I can find the SB button (it is not very easy to spot) but nothing seems to make the SB move. I have made sure the flaps are fully retracted so there should not be any impediment to it extending. Is the fact the mouse shows a left mouse button not a mouse wheel significant?

Could the colour of the SB button on the throttle be made a lighter shade of grey so it is more visible, please?

Apart from that, a really good aircraft, Thank You.

Regards,

Tregarth

I am learning how to fly the default Cessna using an Oculus Rift S, but cannot work out how to trim it for straight and level.

Using a Grab (curved Index and Middle finger) I can adjust the throttle.

Using a Pinch (curved Index only) I can adjust the flaps

Using a Pinch and twisting my wrist I can adjust the radios

Using a Point (straight Index) I can turn the buttons on or off using a stabbing action

But no matter what I try I cannot adjust the Trim. I have even tried to either grab or pinch the trim wheel and twisted my wrist but nothing happens.

How can I trim the Cessna, please? To be able to use hands to fly the plane is a real achievement by IPACS.

Thank you,

Tregarth

Thank you for your replies. It is amazing what a difference the instructions can make! I would put the link to the instructions web page in big letters on the Aerofly front page. It would prevent a lot of disillusionment.

It is a challenge, I agree holding my arms out is tiring. I can understand why almost all the YouTubes use a stick. Learning the hand grip commands takes practice. I will have to spend time on the ground making the hand grip positions second nature. Fortunately the Cessna is approved for aerobatics.

Another thing which complicates matters is flying the Cessna from the right hand seat. Even when I was training for my PPL I was in the left seat.

Best regards,

Tregarth

Dear Psionmark,

Thank you for your welcome and very helpful reply. I will now have a go in the Cessna and see if I can control the plane.

I find your reply surprising; I had expected that, once someone had paid UKP 400 for a VR headset they would abandon all their hardware and concentrate on flying "virtually". The retention of keyboard, mouse and stick makes me think that head tracking is as useful and significantly cheaper. Buying an Oculus may be a decision I will reget - but that is for me alone to decide.

The people at IPACS must be a bit puzzled; they have put so much effort into making a hand operated cockpit and yet many users still use a mouse etc. (Or at least they seem to on YouTube.)

I hope you continue to enjoy your set up and have many happy flying hours. Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards,

Tregarth

I am new to both Aerofly and VR. I have an Oculus Rift S which I am trying to use.

I am trying to fly the Cessna, and can see my blue hands in the cockpit. I have worked out that I can move the stick and throttle using the thumb wheels on the hand controllers but cannot work out how to press the buttons to raise/lower the flaps, tune radios etc. Similarly, I have tried to fly the F-18, again I can move the stick etc but cannot find how to use the blue hands to move the flaps or the gear.

Am I right in thinking my Saitek X-52 joystick or keyboard is now redundant and I can control the plane using my blue hands? If I have to use the stick or keyboard for basic actions I am not sure VR is what I expected it to be. I can accept using the keyboard/stick for "complicated" actions but not for adjusting the flaps.

Is there a YouTube showing how to use VR in Aerofly? It would be very useful

Thank you,

Tregarth.

I don't know about you guys but I landed the F18 successfully on the deck several times even with 5kt winds. It's all about the speed on touchdown and that you don't bounce and that you have the parking brake set and and use the full length of the deck obviously.... :)

You may find this useful in settiing up your "on speed" deck landing speed.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tregarth

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated. As soon as I am able I will start to fly the F18. I look forward to downloading the missing folder when it becomes available.

I like the comment "not all aircraft are created equal". Hopefully the F18 will become "equal" soon. I am not looking for a flight tutorial (I have the diagram showing the carrier landing pattern).

What I am looking for is an image which shows what buttons/switches are active and what they do, i.e where is the Hook lever, HUD controls? Then I can print the image and refer to it as required.

Thank you,

Regards,

Tregarth

I have recently started to use the AeroFly FS2. I have printed out the Q400 manual which is very helpful. I have now tried to fly the F-18 and have been looking for a manual so I know which button does what but cannot find a manual. I asked Support if they had one on 12/8 and again on 19/8; they have replied they have forwarded my request to the Developers, but without success.

Can anyone suggest where I can find one, please?

Also, is there an aircraft carrier so I can attempt to land? I have found a very good tutorial about "On-Speed"/Angle of Attack which is very useful for the F-18 so now I would like to fly it more seriously and try to land on a carrier. A manual would help me to learn more about flying the F-18.

Thank you,

Tregarth