Posts by gonzo84

Ok so, as mentioned above, I decided not to use one of the already developed overlay apps (OVRDROP, DailyVR ETC) to bring in my GliderNav into FS2 because:

A) They cost more

B) They are not really designed for this so very clunky with bigger overheads on performance

C) I can have full control over how I want it look & work.

So I scrapped my original windows based GliderNav app and spent a bit of time today (not as much as i wanted) working on my own VR overlay system and only just had time to capture something before I had to go out.

But this shows at least it working, this is my own overlay showing a full moving map (streamed in real-time). The video shows some jitter/movement between the map and the cockpit but this DOES NOT happen in the sim, so must be something of the SteamVR window I used to record it.

So now to get to work on the map itself and the size/positioning within the cockpit.

And sorry for the "shaking", thats me putting my headset on and then off.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Had some success using dailyvr tonight, but after some thought and dailyvr not quite fitting what I wanted I have decided to write my own VR overlay app specifically for glider maps. Don’t see the point of having two apps/overheads when i can just do one - and it means I can specifically develop it to suit Aerofly glider cockpit.

Will update as I go.

Andy

With the missing map in VR I thought I would look into third party options. And the only really way is using OVRDrop and FsWidgets, but FsWidgets isn't really aimed at gliders.

So being a developer I thought I would have a play, turned our a lot easier than I thought to get something very basic working. Not tried it in any VR overlay yet (OVRDrop/Daily VR).

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Andy

Just showing a little bit of progress today.

Added some basic flight information and the beginnings of a waypoint system. Current its just showing the heading back to 1 waypoint set at the airfield, the distance to that waypoint is also shown.

Andy

Thanks, my next step was to stick a packet sniffer on the broadcast and see what I can get.

All I want is to get the position data out. Really didn’t think it would be this difficult...

can you actually see the string? If so could you paste it in for me to see?

Otherwise I’ll grab avare external I/O plugin and have a look, is x-plane required to see?

Thanks

Yea, I guess its not looking good. I have come across this business mindset before of never letting on anything, really don't understand why, all it ever makes anything think is that its because "nothing" is being done?

Well, anyway, I think my question has clearly been answered.

Onwards and upwards (without a map).

I'm just bumping this as its had no response at all? I look forward to getting home and stepping into my glider VR sim and going for a flight. But then every time I remember that once flying I have no map or anything. It makes cross-country flying difficult & unrealistic?

When ever I read articles / discussions regarding FS2 around the net its always boasting how good its VR is. So clearly a lot of people use it for its VR capabilities so why leave this out. I am sure (as a games software developer myself) it cant be too difficult to add a map either as a cockpit instrument or a popup?

Andy

Hi, I seem to be getting this error on startup with both the MSI and ZIP version...

unable to open database file

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Open(String strFilename, String vfsName, SQLiteConnectionFlags connectionFlags, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum openFlags, Int32 maxPoolSize, Boolean usePool)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()

at AeroScenery.Data.SqlLiteDataRepository.UpgradeSchema() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\Data\SqlLiteDataRepository.cs:line 232

at AeroScenery.AeroSceneryManager.Initialize() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\AeroSceneryManager.cs:line 139

at AeroScenery.Program.Main() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\Program.cs:line 36

I am a software engineer and personally used SQL lite 3 myself, what I can understand is why it is looking at "D:\work", I have a D drive but it has no files on, was used a "backup drive"? Why is it defaulting to there?

Thanks

Andy