Posts by jayeye2011

Regarding the videos, they are very interesting to see and I am glad you have a Youtube channel. If you don't mind my asking, when you get to the point of creating your instrument graphics and animation in Blender, could you post a video showing how you make a steam gauge instrument in Blender, like maybe an example of doing either the RPM or VVI instrument and how you tie that into the aircraft tmd file?

In regards to more forum threads on aircraft creation, these ones exist for Aerofly FS 2

MDIvey
    April 4, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    MDIvey
    July 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM

If you didn't have to consider some kind of divide by zero error from improper coordinate values, I would normally try to have a softer shock absorber like in cars rather than a stiffer one if you want a less bouncy landing. But I don't know if that is more influenced by the Kp (spring constant) term or if it is the Kd (damper) term.

Unlike X-Plane you cannot specify the aircraft CG. It would be nice to be able easily and arbritrarily redefine the lateral CG position but unfortunately you cannot do this in Aerofly FS 2 or 4. All that you can do is either adjust the mass values of the different rigidbody objects or change the R0 X (lateral) coordinate of the most massey part, the fuselage to alter the CG point. Who knows where the actual lift datum point is in the model. Also, only the person who has the 3D model file knows where the 0 datum point is on the aircraft to which all the rigidbody R0 points are referenced.

Examples:

PA-11 Club Special tmd

// airframe

// mass: 409.9 ( -0.079 0.000 -0.273 )

<[rigidbody][Fuselage][]

<[float64][Mass][215.0]>

<[tmvector3d][InertiaLength][ 3.20 0.49 0.667 ]>

<[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.0 0.0 -0.432677 ]>

<[tmmatrix3d][B0][ 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 ]>

>

<[rigidbody][LeftWing][]

<[float64][Mass][30.0]>

<[tmvector3d][InertiaLength][ 1.30 4.79 0.19 ]>

<[tmvector3d][R0][ -0.024769 2.1 0.449867 ]>

<[tmmatrix3d][B0][ 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.99963 0.02727 0.0 -0.02727 0.99963 ]>

>

Compare to

Stearman tmd

<[rigidbody][Fuselage][]

<[float64][Mass][884.2]>

<[tmvector3d][InertiaLength][4.302037 1.107473 1.186110]>

<[tmvector3d][R0][0.262640 0.0 -0.018969]> // 0.254 meters = 1 inch

<[tmmatrix3d][B0][1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0]>

>

<[rigidbody][UpperWing][]

<[float64][Mass][83.6]>

<[tmvector3d][InertiaLength][ 1.65 8.95832 0.20 ]>

<[tmvector3d][R0][0.216920 0 1.088677]>

<[tmmatrix3d][B0][1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0]>

>

For R0 X coordinate, 0.0 is the aircraft reference datum, and positive value means location is forward of it and negative value means location is aft of it.

Again where the 0 datum reference point is actually located on the aircraft is up to the 3D model author. Logically it should either be the known aircraft specified CG or the know aircraft's center of lift point. But only the 3D model author knows what it is.

I am not a real life pilot so I don't know how the aircraft is supposed to fly in terms of its takeoff and landing pitch attitude characteristics and how easy it is to be in a nose up attitude when landing. I know that Kaniewski's PA-11 Cub Special is configured so it's natural flight pitch attitude is nose up (not sure if that is real-life accurate) so that it is easier to make a 3 point landing. In contrast, Kaniewski's Stearman Model 75 Kaydet is currently setup more for a nose down attitude characteristic making a 3 point tough to achieve so you end up easily doing 2 point bouncing ball landings which if done incorrectly resulting in a nose down propeller hits the tarmac landing.

Actually, looking at the video at 0.25x slow motion, it looks more like your propeller hit the tarmac and disintegrated. You could do a in game playback using an external camera view to see what part of the plane hit the tarmac. So could have been just a bad landing with too much down pitch attitude on the aircraft. If you have sound activated you should hear a sound (balloon popping or firecracker?) that indicates you crashed.

Is your cockpit instrumentation actually working as its hard to tell from the video? If not display the inflight data display ribbon ("I" shortcut key) so we can see what your vertical velocity is on touch down. Also with the VVI from the data ribbon display enabled, using a chase view for landing that gives a view of the landing gear would show (if the landing gear animation graphics are already setup) if it is collapsing or not. For conventional (taildragger) landing gear doing a two point touchdown (two front wheels contact first) is normally prone to a couple of bounces if you are descending too fast, normally a three point landing (both front wheels and tail wheel contact simultaneously) is less likely to bounce. Also, using a chase camera view allows you to see how the landing gear shock absorber is working as long as your gear graphics is working correctly.

Not sure if you have already done the airfoil setup in the your tmd file yet, if not here is a link to Jet-Pack's description of how to do this for FS 2 back in 2016

Jet-Pack (IPACS)
    February 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Helps clarify some of the nitty-gritty of the tmd.airfoil wiki page

aircraft:tmd:airfoil [Aerofly FS Wiki]

Hopefully this is still the same for FS 4 (as the existing aerofly wiki is only for FS2, at least as far as the tmd file goes) .

Do any of you remember the Dornier Do 27 from FS 2. It is a great easy to fly freeware aircraft model that you could download for FS 2 here:

Aerofly FS 2 – Dornier Do 27 Free Add-On Download – Aerofly-Sim.de

Made by Raul Munoz and Jan-Hendrik Hanuschik.

Unfortunately it does not seem like it has been or will ever be converted over to FS 4.

So I was wondering if anyone knows what might be the issue since porting an existing FS 2 aircraft to FS 4, according to IPACS is supposed to be fairly easy if you have the original raw assets and follow their instructions for converting the existing TMC and TMD files?

Contact Point? Before anyone else asks, I Googled it and found Jet-Pack's explanation from 2017

Jet-Pack (IPACS)
    March 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM

I really doubt IPACS will be offering higher resolution ground textures (and accompanying hi res terrain elevation data mesh) because of storage requirements and in the case of more detailed terrain elevation mesh the increase in gpu needed to deal with an order of magnitude more polygons to render. I am sure IPACS wants to go to extremes to avoid upping the hardware requirements because most of their sales revenues likely come from mobile platform (iOS, android) sales rather desktop PC sales.

Regarding storage requirements, consider that Orbx TrueEarth US Northern California HD (high definition) for X-Plane 11 requires 212 GB of storage whereas the TE N. CA SD (standard definition) version requires 53GB. And this is just for half of a single state. Contrast that to the 80GB required for the free Aerofly FS 4 Scenery: USA High Resolution DLC which covers all of the California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington states. I have all of the Orbx TrueEarth HD for N. California, S. California, Oregon, Washington, Florida,and Great Britain (North, South, Central) for X-Plane 11 and I have to use pretty much all of a 2TB SSD to store them. Also loading time for X-Plane is quadrupled when using a TE HD product which is already crazy long compared to Aerofly FS 4. In fact I pretty much switched from X-Plane 11 to Aerofly FS 4 because the current FS 4 default orthophoto scenery resolution is good enough and the crazy fast load time and covers more of the USA than Orbx TE HD products. Oh and what I spent for the Orbx TE HD products I could have bought Aerofly FS 4 at least 10 times over. That is why I would be willing to pay even $40 to just get the rest of the states that are in the western half of the USA which is less than what I had to pay for half of California in Orbx TE HD.

You know, it would be great if IPACS setup a system like Laminar Research has (The X-Plane Scenery Gateway) where users can create and upload airports onto an official IPACS server which serves two purposes: a) allows the general public to locate and download and immediately use those airports and b) eventually IPACS can incorporate those airports (automatic license agreement as part of upload account registration for the server) into the official Aerofly FS 4 product's airport simulation database for the next software update release.

IPACS - Check it out for yourself and hopefully do something like it:

X-Plane Scenery Gateway

To be fair, Kaniewski did respond recently to one of my bug issue reports that he is currently busy in real life and will not be able to do anything until March at the earliest.

Here are the aircraft I have tried using and have submitted issue reports on (which may or may not be valid) in case anyone wants to know what has already been reported:

Issues · krzysk1/wilga
    Wilga 80 for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/wilga development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/optica
    Edgley EA-7 Optica for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/optica development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/tomahawk
    Piper PA-38 Tomahawk for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/tomahawk development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/stearman
    Stearman 75 Kaydet for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/stearman development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/pipercub
    Piper PA-11 Cub Special for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/pipercub development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/dromader
    PZL M-18 Dromader for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/dromader development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/ms893
    Socata Rallye MS.893E for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/ms893 development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Ask Krzysztof if he can possibly create an additional key for opening and closing the doors, with the (G) key on the keyboard. He must certainly be able to modify this individually, since this G= (Gear) key is not used for some of these models.

As an example the Tomahawk PA-38, but without the closing being done by the acceleration key.

You will need to contact Kaniewski yourself as I only interface indirectly with him via bug issue submissions on his Github repositories and as you can see from the number of unresolved issues he is not very responsive.

I would leave the "G" key exclusively for GEAR and not use it for other functions.

Couldn't you use "D" for DOORS?

As far as I am aware, the only shortcut key command bindings that can be used are those already coded and availables in the "Controls" setup in the flight simulation.

If someone who knows how to setup control manipulators in Aerofly could edit the controls.tmd and pipercub.tmd to introduce a manipulator logic control for closing the door once it is opened it would be nice of them to do so and submit the corrected fixes to the Github repository. It is beyond my skills to do so myself. Right now, my simple solution would be to simply comment out the existing door controller code in the controls.tmd.

If you want to cold and dark or before engine start you can download the corrected pipercub_cold.tmd and pipercub_start.tmd presets files and copy them into the pipercub folder you downloaded from the github repo.

here is the link where you can get the zip file with the corrections

The cold and dark and before engine start presets not correct · Issue #13 · krzysk1/pipercub
    The pipercub_start.tmd and pipercub_cold.tmd preset files are not correct in that the engine is always running when selecting these two starting conditions.
    github.com

Oh, do you want more umph for high elevation airports? Swap out the Continental A65-8 with a rebuilt Continental C90-8F that was last used in a 1950 PA-18 Super Cub. 90Hp vs old 65 hp. It does weigh 183 lbs vs 173 lbs for A65-8 but let's ignore that since it's only an extra 4.53kg (or just assume the pilot went on a diet and lost that weight).

To do this, edit the pipercub.tmd file engine2 section to this:

<[engine2][Engine][]

<[string8][InputThrottle] [ThrottleLever.Output]>

<[string8][InputMixture] [ActualMixture.Output]>

<[string8][InputLeftMagneto] [LeftMagneto.Output]>

<[string8][InputRightMagneto][RightMagneto.Output]>

<[string8][RotationSpeed] [DriveShaft.RotationSpeed]>

<[string8][AddTorque] [DriveShaft.AddTorque]>

<[string8][AddInertia] [DriveShaft.AddInertia]>

<[string8][InputAngle] [PropellerJoint.Output]>

<[float64][InputTemperature] [EngineHousing.Output]>

<[float64][AddHeat] [EngineHousing.AddHeat]>

<[float64][RotationInertia][0.7]>

<[float64][ThrottleIdle][0.175]>

<[float64][Friction][180.0]>

// <[float64][RatedRotationSpeed][240.85]> // continental A65-8

// <[float64][RatedPower][48470.0]>

// <[float64][Displacement][0.0028]>

<[float64][RatedRotationSpeed][260.00]>// Continental C90-8F, 90 hp, 201 cu. in., Max takeoff RPM 2625, Max continuous RPM 2475

<[float64][RatedPower][67113.0]>

<[float64][Displacement][0.00329]>

>