Posts by mcgregni

Hi, I'm flying my first time using the A380, in AF 2021 verson (mobile).

Is the FMC not live in this aircraft? The display is stuck on a KSFO runway and the buttons don't do anything. I can't get the flight plan to show.

Also how can I adjust the cruise altitude to get an accurate VNAV descent indication? I started at FL350 but the PD showed "ALT" ....then I guessed and tried FL410 and this showed "ALT CRZ", so I stayed there. But what if I want to use different flight levels?

Any tips and pointers much appreciated!

I would generally slow down about 40 kts before descent to allow more leeway and control. I also have seen inconsistent VNAV performance on the B787. I find I need to intervene with VS settings to capture the VNAV path, sometimes 2 or 3 times on a descent.

But once on VNAV PTH mode then I have found it to be accurate. Its just that the aircraft sometimes loses the VNAV path. Following the green dot and intercepting the path with VS adjustments seems to work. Once on target again then press the VNAV mode button and push in the ALT knob to re-engage.

The non-ILS auto-pilot approches do work in FS 2021, and they are fun to fly and see them activate on the PFD. Its a real pity that they are broken in 2022....lets hope we get them back in the next mobile version, along with accurate ILS line up.

I'm not sure if I'm using the Navigation menu wrongly, but I find most of the arrivals unusable as well. They have the most bizarre complex twists and turns all around the airfields and take you a long way away from the runway.

Generally I have to avoid the arrivals and just manually pick a route that intercepts an approach nicely.

I find a lot of the depature SIDs to be very extreme in their angles and tight turns. And usually the autopilot cannot make these manouvres, and disconnects to HDG mode.

I mostly make my own manual departure routes with more realistic straight out climbs and less extreme turns, and this avoids LNAV disconnects.

You cannot change the weight in the real world FMS either... When we are adding mass and balance we'll make a dedicated menu for it and not hack it into the FMS where it doesn't belong and is unrealistic.

Sure, I think a good approach for further development would be a menu item (like the wind and cloud settings), to adjust the aircraft weight. This figure could then automatically populate the relevant fields in the flight computer, and adjust the V speeds.

One nice extra touch for reality would be an option for the pilot to manually enter their chosen weight in the cockpit and check the Ref speeds as they update. Its up to the pilot to set the weight correctly!

It would be excellent if the weight setting could impact the aircraft performance realistically!

Hi, I am trying to find some instructions on the process for copying extra scenery files into Aerofly FS 2021 or 2022. Say if you wanted to add something extra, where should the files be copied to?

I remember a thread about moving files from 2021 for the USA with buildings over to 2022, but can't find it now.....

I know this is an "own risk" process. I have both versions installed now so am happy to use my 2021 version to try some extra files. Thanks for any tips!

I'm on Android 12 without root.

I have 21 and 22 on my iPad. They both run independently. I believe that they’re in independent folders. Each version runs perfectly well.

Thanks! I might try that arrangement and just choose each app depending on where I want to fly. Or I suppose I could try the scenery files copying method ...The price of FS2021 has dropped now, so why not?😃

By the way, what do we lose from 2022 when we go back to 2021? No B787?

Is it possible to install both 2021 and 2022 versions on the same device? Would the files be kept in totally independant folders so that there is no conflict ? Would each separate app run normally if both versions were on the same device?

Its a conflict of attitudes and expectations.

The group of people I describe as "airline enthusiasts and plane spotters" have different attitudes and expectations to the group of " pure flight simmers"

So someone in the first group has a strong need for a livery or winglets, or a variation on an aircraft type, because for them realism means replicating the exact situation from the real world that interets them. They expect it because a simulator is meant to be as real as possible, right?

But those in the "pure flight simmers" group can never understand this need because for them the sim is a tool and starting point for their imaginations, and for them simply needs to produce a powerful sense and feeling of the aviation environment.

So there is this constant "why do we need that, we need this more" conflict, because the beliefs about what is "real" are very different.

Using the -500 (intelligently) is like going for a walk in the woods without a guide and finding your way back to the car park 8) . It is an important Aerofly sim link between the honest straightforward training planes and the auto-everything dumbed down friendly Air France debatable awareness compatible airliners.

Yes, and thats a very purist flight simmers point of view. I take the same attitude ....its about learning, discovery, gaining a taste and sense of the real aviation environment (and technology history in this case).

There is another category of users I realise, not "pure flight simmers", but more airline enthusiasts and plane spotters. They experience aviation through visits to their home airports and actual flights on real aircraft as passangers (usually with family 😉 ). Their passion is to understand things like the exact aircraft model used by their favourite airline for each specific route, the route schedules, parking gates, exact flight levels used etc.

For them flight simming is about replaying for themselves these exact same real world flights with the "correct" liveries and models .....that is what "realism" means to this kind of user.

So we have this constant conflict between the two types of flight simmers, conflict about what is essential to be "realistic', and conflict about the priorities for app development....

Nobody has any right to impose their own definition of "realism" onto others. I thought I had left this sort of stuff behind when I deleted my Infinite Flight app 😉 .

I think Aerofly FS does what it says on the tin ....flight simming. It gives us the impression, the feeling, the sense of a journey through flight. That can be the starting point for all kinds of imaginary scenarios, whether recreating real airline routes, scenic GA flights, or our own pretend route creations that use our favourite aircraft between interesting airports over great scenery.

I fall into the last category (Skyworks Q400, Bern to Torino, one of my favourite routes ...is it a real one? I actually don't know, it's just a fun flight, and in my imagination it can be 100% realistic ....or how about Alitalia A320, Bologna to Dubrovnik? Another great one that seems completely realistic.)

Its our imaginations that create the realism and we can imagine any scenario that brings the sense and magic of flight to life on a mobile screen!