Q400 overhead lighting? It's too dark!

• It's been a while since I flew the Q400 at night and I decided to give it a go with my cold and dark mod. Turns out it's very hard to do because I can't see the switched...! It's too dark! The switches and knobs with lights on them are ok but the switched for recirc, bleed 1 and 2, lights, etc. are very hard to turn on or off. It's a bit of a hit and miss. I couldn't even see which way the engine start select switch was pointing...

Is there a way to give the overhead a bit (or a lot) more light?

EDIT

Oh my goodness... I just witnessed how everyone in Miami turned on their lights at the exact same moment...! =O Can't say I like what I saw. I will stick to daylight flying (with some late dawn or early dusk flights too) until the loading of lights gets fixed (=becomes smoother/gradual). And until the landing lights work too. Combined with the too dark cockpit I can't say night flying is a thing I like to do right now in AFS2. ;)

Edited 2 times, last by J van E (August 9, 2018 at 8:05 PM).

• J van E August 9, 2018 at 7:47 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Q400 overhear lighting?” to “Q400 overhead lighting? It's too dark!”.
  • This is subjective. Using VR everything appears just fine and the lighting is pretty accurate. Even looking at your above screenshot, everything looks good and realistic.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• This is subjective. Using VR everything appears just fine and the lighting is pretty accurate. Even looking at your above screenshot, everything looks good and realistic.

Glad I am not a real world Q400 pilot then. ;) I'd be scared to take off! 8o

EDIT

Had a look at some real world pictures and you are correct: it seems to be pretty spot on (no pun intended), at least when I look at pictures taken during flight or after startup. Can't imagine the real pilots don't have access to a bit more light for when they enter the cockpit or during startup...!

• Can't imagine the real pilots don't have access to a bit more light for when they enter the cockpit or during startup

You can do this too by adjusting the overhead bright/dim control. I would have to check again where that is at in the Q400 but I do know that you can manually adjust how bright the lighting is in cabin

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• You can do this too by adjusting the overhead bright/dim control. I would have to check again where that is at in the Q400 but I do know that you can manually adjust how bright the lighting is in cabin

There is indeed an overhead console brightness control but that only takes care of the backlit text and lines on the overhead itself. What I’d need is a brightness control for the dome light but the Q400 (also the real one) doesn’t have one afaik. Hence my question if it is somehow possible to make the dome light a bit brighter, for instance by changing a setting in some cfg or tmd file. ;)

I also looked at the info from the SmartCockpit site again (I seriously read ALL the documentation regarding the Q400 a few months ago!) but couldn’t find anything about a dome brightness control.

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/Q400-Lighting_System_1.pdf