Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Maybe just start by modifying the soundmapping of an existing sound until you get a feel of what it does.

The mapping is just a list of 2d points:

(input output) (input output).

E.g. the mapping (0.0 0.5) (1.0 1.0) means that for input 0 the output is 0.5 and for input 1.0 the output is also 1.0.

So if you just modify the second value of a pair of values you just modify the output. If that mapping is used for volume you just make it louder or quieter. If it's a pitch mapping then you increase the frequency of the sound, so either really high pitch or very low pitch.

Just change some values, save the file and reload the aircraft (e.g. change the repaint)

"Something" is the position and speed of the sound source, e.g. Fuselage.R (position) and Fusalge.V (velocity)

- one soundloop per sound file that you have

InputVolume is an input from an other object in the sound section. Make sure to check out the wiki, where we explain how objects communicate in Aerofly FS: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/aircraft:tmd

You define your inputs from the dynamics to the sound section with the soundinput objects. Once definded you can use it as Name.Output

You can re-map the sounds, e.g. create a mapping from engine speed to volume or pitch. You can feed that mapping into your InputVolume or InputPitch.

The tm.log file should show any mistakes that you make (see https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/simulator:log)

full_buzz is the fan buzzing noise at full power. The engine roar.

cabin_call is the ding dong noise that sounds when you push the cabin call button in the overhead panel.

cockpit_background is the background noise you hear inside the cockpit. Mainly avionics fan noise. You can hear it best when the engines and APU are off and the ground power is on.

generator_contactor is the sound of the electrical switches (contactor) as you switch generators. If you turn the generators on/off it does a loud klonk sound.

ground_roll is the sound generated by the wheels rolling on the ground (could be rumble and vibrations)

skid is played whenever the wheels are sliding or skidding on the ground. This happens on touch down (wheel speed slow but high ground speed) as well as when you set the parking brake at high speed.

There are no sounds for the doors or windows yet. But you can add in new custom sounds, just modify the tmd file to your liking after making a backup (last section is for sound).

Currently there is no ignition sound but that can be added, too.

Samples can be as long as you want. Too short means you can hear the loop sound. Too long and it may use too much space. Somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds.

If you plan on keeping your work you should create a copy of the a320 folder and paste it into your user documents Aerofl FS 2/aircraft folder. Then rename it to a320mod and all the *.tmd and *.tmb files inside it accordingly. Otherwise the next steam update for Aerofly will wipe your progress.

Can clouds be more or less on/off when flying through them if changes are made? Shimmering deeply translucent wispy things are pretty but they are also very fake. Solid blanket (boring) stratus would be more typical also.

From what I've seen of MS cumulus clouds they look cartoon gamey to me. Remember the clouds out the windows, they are not misty, milkey zones, they have edges!

I agree that clouds should have a nice contrast to the surrounding. Cumulus clouds should have very sharp borders and should not be a semi transparent object. Flying through the clouds should completely remove all visibility of the surrounding and I want to almost not be able to see my wing tips :)

As mentioned we do use an external library for our clouds at the moment. Those are not volumetric.

Volumetric clouds don't need to have a big performance impact per see and I don't think they have a massive performance impact on "the other sims". Saying that the volumetric clouds would cause disastrous performance isn't really telling the whole truth. In case we do change the clouds one day we may get a performance increase just by switching from an external library to our own internal and more optimized rendering techniques. At the moment we don't have full control over the rendering performance of the clouds but when we implement our own we will.

We may add volumetric clouds in the future or we may not. This is not decided yet but with the new rendering techniques like ray tracing there is great uncertainty how much performance impact new clouds may have. One thing is for sure: We want to keep excellent performance on mobile and for VR and we will do our best to provide a good quality and performance at the same time.

You can use two joint_multi or one jointlinear with two axes of rotation.

Both methods should work since you can actually change the center of mass by moving the pilot body.

E.g. the CG of the P38 moves significantly as the gear is retracted in Aerofly FS :)

It really depends on what aircraft you want to create. For a hang glider the closest match would probably be the Swift S1 glider and not the B777, yes :) But back when we created the B777 we used the B747 tmd because that is the closest aircraft in terms of systems, displays and what not. So even a complex tmd may be the right choice if you plan on keeping most of it or if you know that most systems are alike.

There are two approaches you can take.

1) Start from scratch and with the bare minimum and work your way up from there.

2) Copy a similar aircraft and change it from there

The 1st one can be done if you already have a good idea of what elements you need. It's not easy to set up a rigidbody system from scratch though, you need to pay attention to the joints and their forces, check every code snippet you copy over, etc.

The copy option get's the job done in a shorter time and you have to do far less to get a new model into the sim. The physics, graphics and sound are all completely independent, so why not keep the physics and just change the graphics? You can even remove the graphics and you would still have a flying aircraft, though invisible and not as easy to fly :D

Here is the swift.tmd but with the necessary changes applied to remove the graphics:

All you should need to do is adjust the geometry list to:

<[string8][GeometryList][ Wing SpeedBar Cables Keel ]>

Regarding the question if a hang glider can be done with Aerofly physics: I'm sure it can, we do have these kind of aircraft in our Aerofly RC 8 which uses the same core physics engine as far as I know. Obviously some parameters are different at larger scale but in the fundamental physics don't really change at smaller or larger scale.

To get it to fly correctly you may have to deviate from the default airfoil parameters and you have to set up the aerowings correctly with the correct wing twist etc. It's certainly easier to start with "another Cessna" than with a new aircraft category but it's also easier to start with a hang glider than with a tilt rotor aircraft or gyrocopter.

I'd recommend starting with an aircraft that has a regular tail, maybe an ultralight like this:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/NzmMu.jpg

I'm not an expert on this and I'm not sure what the ModelConverterX does exactly but apparently it doesn't save vertex triangle strips the same way that our model exporters do.

Please inform the developer of the ModelConverterX that the tgi output file doesn't seem to be in the correct format.

If you have a text version of your tgi (.tgi.txt) we can check if we can see a mistake.

Please start with a working tmd from one of our default aircraft. Then remove all graphics objects except the rigidbodygraphics for the fuselage.

Clear the GeometryList parameter and add only your 3d model objects back in.

Then remove the collisionhull objects in the physics.

This way you have a working physics setup that shouldn't crash constantly.

I think your physics are in a constant crash loop. This could be caused by your joint multi setup.

Start with a working aircraft tmd file like the cessna c172.tmd and remove all of the graphics and also the collision hull. If you load that you should have an invisible plane. Then add your rigidboygraphics for the fuselage and in its geometry list you add the names of your 3d model parts. Then you should see your plane which now flies like the c172.

When you start moving the landing gear be careful to move the rigidbody R0 as well as the joint R0 position to a similar location. It usually crashes when you have a light landing gear part like the nose gear steering far away from the pivot point. That high leverage creates very high forces which make the gear explode almost instantly and you get a constant reset loop.