Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

1.6 Ghz is on the slow side. We recommend at least a dual core 2.4Ghz.. so even if your i5 maybe has 4 cores it's going to be the bare minimum power...

If the specs that I just found are correct the Asus X509 also only has 4GB onboard ram with additional ram used as SDRAM... again something I'm not familiar with but it sounds like only 4GB of fast ram. That's just barely minimum again.

The graphics card seems to support open gl 4.6, and has 2GB of RAM, which is good. It doesn't seem to have a lot of power, so you'll probably end up using medium or low graphics settings but I'm guessing it should still run. I can't guarantee it though.

You can play without a joystick but even a cheap joystick for 30-40€ is money well spent. That turns the program into an actual flight sim that you can practice with. I have a thrustmaster T16000 and am very happy with the quality. If it breaks I would probably buy it again just because its so cheap and still has a great high resolution hall sensor inside. And it's lasted for many years now.

(auto-translated:)

1,6 Ghz está no lado lento. Recomendamos pelo menos um dual core 2.4Ghz... por isso mesmo que o seu i5 tenha talvez 4 núcleos, será a potência mínima...

Se as especificações que acabei de encontrar estão correctas o Asus X509 também só tem 4GB de carneiro a bordo com carneiro adicional usado como SDRAM... mais uma vez algo com que não estou familiarizado mas soa como apenas 4GB de carneiro rápido. Mais uma vez, isso é apenas o mínimo.

A placa gráfica parece suportar open gl 4.6, e tem 2GB de RAM, o que é bom. Não parece ter muita potência, por isso provavelmente acabará por usar definições gráficas médias ou baixas, mas suponho que ainda deve funcionar. Mas não posso garantir isso.

Pode jogar sem um joystick mas mesmo um joystick barato por 30-40 euros é dinheiro bem gasto. Isso transforma o programa num simulador de voo real com o qual pode praticar. Eu tenho um thrustmaster T16000 e estou muito satisfeito com a qualidade. Se ele se avariar provavelmente compro-o novamente só porque é tão barato e ainda tem um grande sensor de alta resolução no interior. E já dura há muitos anos.

The blue lever changes the target rotation speed of the propeller. The Baron has a constant speed propeller, which means the engine and propeller rotate at a constant speed regardless of how fast you fly and how much power you apply. When you add more power the blade pitch is automatically increased to grab more air and thus increases the torque on the driveshaft but the rotation speed stays constant.

You can probably find millions of search results online for "constant speed propeller"

A389 ? Did you mean A388 or A380? The A389 was never built as far as i know. only the A380-800 (A388).

The A380 is a very complex machine and we could waste a ton of time simulating every system in that aircraft. I mean it even has a taxi assistance to taxi straight even in crosswind conditions... we will never be able to simulate every system even if we developed just that aircraft and did nothing else. That being said we are still planning to increase the system depth of the A380 at some point and also bring it to the PC version. At the moment we're doing other things though that are of higher priority than the feature set of one single aircraft :)

I see the wiki link I posted was broken. Please check the wiki it explains most of your questions...

https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/aircraft:f18

Short:

1.small arrow is HSI to current TACAN station. Arrow points to the station (VOR from/to)

2. big arrow points to target (4.)... as of right now the target is always the next waypoint in your flight plan. You can turn this off by pressing the waypoint target designator as shown in the wiki

3. "8" is the number of degrees that you need to turn to fly towards target. Can point down or up too. So it's the angle between your current flight vector and the one you're need to fly to get to the target

4. selected target (next waypoint). The one at the top is indeed the required track that you need to fly.

5. TGT = target. The number 2.0 is the distance in nautical miles to the target (next wpt)

LAX is the TACAN station that is received. In this case the "LAX" VOR, 2.5 nautical miles away

The distance display works correctly it's the real world data that is the issue here. Airports like KLAX have the same ILS frequency for both runway directions. IRL they turn on just one of them, in the sim we turn in the one that is the most relevant at the time. That means if you are at the approach end of one runway you'll get the ILS for that runway and if you fly a pattern you are suddenly on the other side and thus the received station is the other approach end and the ILS station switches. That is only an issue where in they didn't bother to give each runway a different ILS frequency in real life.

There are currently three green arrows in the HUD of the F18... Which one do you mean?

The one in the center that is attached to the flight path vector is a small HSI. That arrow represents the tuned TACAN station (tactical air navigation, similar to a VOR).

The one at the top points to the direction of the next waypoint. And the huge pull up arrow points towards the sky if you are about to crash into terrain.

https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/aircraft:f18

If I remember correctly I set it up so that NAV1 controls the ILS receiver of the F18 and NAV2 controls the TACAN receiver frequency.

Not all ILSes have a DME. Can you confirm that you see a DME inside the cockpit but not inside your Saitek panel?

The speeds 180 and 210 are just what I use, you can use other speeds of course.

Loc button arms only the localizer, aircraft won't descent. The pilots press that if ATC says cleared to intercept the localizer.

GS button can only be pressed when ATC clears aircraft for the approach.

All I see from the screenshot is that the autopilot is maintaining altitude (left arrow pointing down to ALT) and that you're way too high (right arrow pointing down to the vertical deviation). The radar altitude isn't even active yet so you're still 2500ft or higher above ground. So at some point the autopilot captured the selected altitude of 3000ft and at that time either the localizer was not active yet so the glide slope couldn't be activated or the aircraft did capture the localizer but was above the glide slope at all time so that the glide slope was never intercepted, in which case you were just too high. That's all correct so far, real world behavior according to the operating manuals.

Try to select a lower altitude next time, usually 2000ft above the runway works pretty great. 3000ft only works if you monitor the vertical deviation closely to make sure that you end up exactly on the glide slope. If you reduce the speed the aircraft will pitch up and stay high. If you don't select a low enough altitude the autopilot will level off and you'll end up high as well. Make sure that that doesn't happen by monitoring the vertical mode that I drew a red arrow to.... If you see that you've above the glide slope it's easiest to catch up with it in vertical speed mode. When the radar altitude isn't visible yet (>2500ft above ground) then you should be good to select -2000ft/min or even more if needed. Once you get below 2000ft you should consider reducing the descent rate and at 1500ft you should have caught up to it and at least see it moving... Otherwise you're probably not going to make it. Either go around or when you know there is no terrain... a 360° turn also works wonders to get rid of excess energy.

It may take some practice to see when you are good to drop the speed. It's ok to keep roughly 180 kts before even intercepting the glide slope and 210+ kts before intercepting the localizer. Usually you still have enough time in the last 2000ft above the ground to reduce the speed with gear down and flaps engines at approach idle. (Reduces noise for the virtual citizens on the ground). The only checkpoint you have to meet is 1000ft above ground - fully configured, on speed, on glide.

On the screenshot you're above the glide slope, it is only going to capture it if you intercept it, just like in real life.

On the navigation display in the lower right you can see the vertical deviation from the flight plan. You are 1700ft above the route, that's why the glide slope was not intercepted.

Did you use vnav for the descent?

300000 ish..and please don't tell IPACS.

Ok, then I pretend I didn't read that :D

But in all honesty... 300k is not bad, that's what some of our models have as well as far as I know. When you're above half a million that's a bit overkill, above a million you may start noticing a performance impact but I'm guessing aerofly can still render 3 million polygons.

Short version: press it if you want the aircraft to slow down to approach speed.

The approach phase reduces the automatically selected airspeed (magenta airspeed, officially called managed airspeed) to the approach speed. It also arms the go around mode for when you move the thrust levers to maximum takeoff goaround (TOGA), deletes the cruise altitude and a few other things.

The approach phase activates automatically if you are flying along the route in NAV mode and the point at which that will happen is indicated by a magenta "D" with a circle around it at the so called deceleration point. When you are flying in heading mode though this doesn't happen automatically and you have to press that button to manually activate the approach phase. The deceleration point is then white in the navigation display and no longer magenta.

And if you're flying around with no route or decided to land somewhere else this button helps you to reduce the airspeed without the need to manually select an airspeed.