Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

I'm an old timer and as I wrote "flew" gliders for some years. In my memory each glider has its own behavior even more so than powered airplanes. I never had a chance to fly an advanced fiberglass glider such as the ASG29. You designed the ASG29? My sincerest congratulation for that effort and achievement. The SWIFT I like less.

But I do agree with you, one gets used to them fairly quickly and then the feel is pretty good. I fly them in FSX but its a bit unnatural. In real life there is a lot more buffeting and difference whether you fly with or against the wind. That, as I'm sure you know, might be a big factor whether you land on the airfield or in the cornfield. AFS2's great sceneries make me wish that I could do it more. Wind sound simulation would be a plus. I used to play the Aerolfy Pro Deluxe RC-Flight simulator and was very happy with it. I still have it but since it doesn't port to Window 10 I must change computers and are limited to smaller screen. But its photo realistic sceneries (like Neuschwanstein field) were a pure pleasure. As good or perhaps better than being there and wrecking real planes.

The generation of thermals and even ridge lift I find different in FSX from what I've experienced. When I fly over a dry pasture that I'm sure will generate some I find none, then all of a sudden over a body of water you get a lift. Hmm! It also lets you get away with things that in real life would surely end in a stall, or even a corkscrew. That in fact is not a bad thing. Challenges, if desired, could be options, but I don't really care for them. But I don't expect miracles just an sedate approximation of real flight.

I must say that all the planes I flew in AFS2 fly very nice, better than FSX, and luckily much easier than real planes would. I don't believe that in real life I could sit in a fighter plane (even just a trainer) and simply take off and fly. I recall for my first solo flights and I still feel the excitement (well maybe in retrospect, fear) when your plane starts to move.

Regards

In real life there is no difference weather you fly with or against the wind. Or not really noticeable. When you fly 150km/h and the wind speed is just 20km/h you just have higher or lower ground speed but all turbulence and your aircraft are blown away with the same wind so it doesn't matter if you fly with or against the wind. The only difference that you have is geostationary turbulence, e.g. when flying near trees on the final approach.

And landing on a corn field is pretty rare, its not like we can't change the outcome of a flight, there is a lot of things that we can affect to land at an airfield. One of the huge benefits is that we can glide up to 40km from only 1000m high, so any height you have times 40 gives you your range. So even if you get low you might still have an airfield in range, that's why we usually don't land on a field :)

No, I didn't design the ASG29 (the thing that you see), that was done by someone else. I changed the flight model, so I'm responsible for the handling qualities so to say.

The aircraft in Aerofly are pretty realistic from my personal experience. Especially fighter jets are easy to fly in the real world because most of them have flight augmentation (fly by wire).

So you can understand why was I missing a tow plane or even just a winch. Anxious for a flight in Austria of the Swiss Alps. This may explain why I found the throttle taking the role of a stick or flaps very unexpected. If gliders are ever are updated I'd like to request that they are simulated as they fly in real life. Since Aerofly was (I believe still is) a German company this should be really come naturally to them, since Germany played a major role between the wars to use and popularize glider flying. It should be a matter of national pride. Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Yes, winch launch or towing is one of the things that I also would like to see added in the sim.

The gliders itself are flying just like in real life?! Especially the ASG29 was set up by me in countless hours of work and I think it flies pretty realistic. Maybe a slight touch to much lift and too little drag when the flaps are at landing config but apart from this it feels pretty good, just like the gliders I fly in real life.

Our manual for the desktop version is the Aerofly Wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/

3) When you crash your aircraft is set to the next runway automatically. You can disable this if you like by changing the reset time to infinite. You can also assign a button to reload the aircraft.

4) starting a glider: Use the location dialog and its slider on the right to select the air start or assign a key to the quick lift up, which can be found in the control settings

5) What triangle? The one in the aerobatic aircraft? That is a visual guide for aerobatics to judge 45 degrees, 90 degrees and level flight.

6) because currently there are no gliders with engines in our aircraft and on approach the airbrakes are used similarly to the throttle of a normal aircraft. You pull aft to slow down and push forward to accelerate. This let's you control the rate of energy loss very precisely and whats better than using the throttle which is unused in a glider?

That would mean that the addition of an engine ON-OFF option is a much needed basic requirement, or at the very minimum starting all simulations using planes that could roll on their own should be with the parking brake set to ON.

They might be in the future. Its very likely that even the aircraft without parking brake will have some sort of assistance to stay put when you load them on a starting position at the gate or ramp. But if you place them on the runway they should be ready for takeoff. A parking brake would be really annoying then and that's why its always off right now.

You specifically need to select the components that you need. For example you could use VS for developing mobile apps or database things or server stuff, in C, C++, C# and other languages. Not all of this is installed per default that would be 80gigabytes or so, so you will need to specify what you need.

Just relaunch the installer and select to change the installation. Basically all things that have C++ in it could be needed, platform tools v141 etc. (I'm not at home to check what I have currently installed, sorry)

Maybe it is one of the most difficult of vehicles to model in any sim?

Well yes it actually is. Having the rotor system turning gives you one part of the airspeed on the blades (stationary hover is relatively easy) and the second part is flying forward. Then the airflow for a rotor blade is changing in velocity and direction which causes the blades to move up and down, forwards and backwards so the position of the blades and the incoming airflow onto the blades is no longer stationary... You get airflow on one side of the rotor that comes from the trailing edge of the rotorblade... you have angles of attack from 0 to +/-180 degrees and back.

And of course each blade at its deflected position creates a downforce on the air around it, accelerating it. But the next blade is so close that this washed down air complicates the airflow even futher. Then you have tip vorticies going off from the blade tips, those are trailing off, being chopped by the next blade (blade vortex interaction), they cause sudden increase in angle of attack for example and a little bit of extra airspeed...

and then you also have the issue of the forward going blade approaching the speed of sound. Airflow creates shock waves, the lift, drag and moment change....

So yeah all in all the blade goes probably something like from -100m/s to plus 250m/s, Mach -0.2 to plus 0.8, angles of attack change from like 2 degrees to 14 degrees on the tip and like 4 to 180 degrees on the inside and of course the side slip angle (so to say) varies a lot to.

Its impossible to simulate all this in real time, at least on current hardware.

At the universities they simulate 10 full rotor rotations in about a week computing time on one of the most advanced computer clusters out there. So yes that is probably the most difficult vehicle simulation. Aircraft are relatively easy because they don't have this nasty rotating system, they have nice stationary flying wings at relative constant angle of attack, almost no sideslip, near constant velocity, very little interaction from the main wings onto the tail surface. You only have two vortecies trailing off, not actually hitting anything else.

There is no engine on off toggle in Aerofly. There is a parking brake toggle for those that have a parking brake, this will stop you from rolling away.

The rolling away is realistic for most aircraft. Its what aircraft do in real live because their engines are designed to fly, and not to idle on the ground. If idle were as low as needed to stay put the engine would go out and if one modified it to be able to have such low idle it would not be able to achieve the max power or thrust needed for takeoff.

Yes, that's why I wrote the thing about the wings :)

737 should be able to fly slower, agreed, I also have a developer version for that aircraft which allows me to approach at 130kt. Pitch is still a bit high but I might be able to fix it. Its not done though, so don't expect changes to the 737 flight model soon.

That thing is a visual cue for the angle of attack. When you see the yellow ball then your angle of attack should be perfect for the approach (8 something degrees). When you see red you are too slow and green means too fast.

The middle is at roughly 135 ish knots when you fly 1.0g

A. hard to judge this since I've made a lot of changes to the ap and fbw in my current development state, compared to the official release version that you have. I'll keep it in mind and will check this witch my current version though.

B. Naaah, that is the ground effect of the tail surface that inhibts some of the rotation. This is something we have to address when we change the aerodynamical wings next time. And since the FBW is not in flight mode yet it doesn't really check if the pitch rate is correct, at least in the current public release. The FBW in my developer version is now strong enough to overpower this effect, so in the future the rotation should be a lot smoother. I've made the transition from ground to flight laws smoother already, just be a bit patient and wait for the next fly by wire update :)

but.. but... why would you turn off a sound that sounds like a helicopter :)8o

Just downloaded. I've only installed the c172 so far, but i can already say this is well worth 10 quid. Taxiing around the airfield is much more interesting now with the variation of engine noises. I see from the rtf that this is 22k mono. Stereo would be so much nicer. Does it need to have fancy 3d spatial functionality Jet-Pack (IPACS) or can a stereo be done more simply?

Also it would be great blacksmoke55 if you can do some tmd file tweaks too and incorporate new sound triggers. Flaps please in the c172.

Especially in VR with the resolution compromises we currently have, additional sound immersion would really help a lot.

1) no we can't simply add stereo sound. Actually it is impossible to have stereo sound sources in real live, stereo comes from your two ears, so we don't need stereo sound samples we need a sound engine that outputs stereo sound, which, as mentioned before, will require major changes to the sound engine, not as easy as playing a stereo sound.

2) we didn't include the flap sound in our cessna because the real world cessna's we have access to have flap motors that are so quiet that you cannot hear them when the engine is running. There may be other models that you can hear, but we opted for maximum realism there and left it away. Now that the engine can be turned off you should be able to hear it though, so we might add it in for the default cessna at some point. But that can be added easily from the outside, just needs a differentiator object and the sound triggered from that.

Hi Jim,

please open your tm.log file located in your Aerofly FS 2 folder in your user documents, see if your can find the section where it says which graphics card is used for Aerofly. Maybe you are running aerofly on the graphics chip of the processor, not the actual graphics card you have which would explain a bad performance. Then please save the file as a text file (.txt) and upload it for us here in the forum, maybe we can find the cause of your stutters.

In relation with the learjet I applied a key in the settings for the course up/down. This does not work in the plane.

That is probably because the learjet reroutes the stepping of the course internally. For example if the pilot has VOR1 selected and rotates the left knob on the glareshield he is adjusting course 1 but when he selects VOR2 its course 2. I will look into this. Are there other aircraft where the course is not working for you