Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Do you mean winch? (in Deutsch "Winde")

To lift up your glider you do two things

1) go to the general settings and enable the overlay. This will show an aircraft symbol to the right of the screen with an arrow up. Click it to increase altitude.

2) You can also assign a button in the control settings for this "quick lift up".

And to start in the air you can go to the location dialog and use the slider on the right to increase altitude.

With your wind set to a slight breeze and your sliders for the thermals set to a high value you should find couple of thermals or updrafts in front of a ridge ("Hangaufwind") to stay airborne.

Thanks for the explanation Jan. Always good to hear the thoughts behind decisions. Does that mean the A380 may disappear from the mobile version when the next update hits?

I don't know, my glass ball isn't that good. There are too many uncertainties to answer this question at this point.

We're working on it as we speak and once we are finished we'll make it available for you. Because we don't know if we run into any obstacles we can't give you any better estimation than "soon" or "shortly". We'll release the feature when we think it is ready. If we were to give you a time frame we would either delay the release for no reason or force ourselves to present you something that isn't working as intended at the time of release and not the final product. So we would need to update again to fix it and they just costs more time than necessary. So instead of a release on a specific day followed by hot fixes the next day or next week we'll just release it once. Give us time to finish our work and test it before we release it, please wait patiently.

Internally the aircraft are the same but there have been a huge number of changes between the last published mobile version and todays desktop version so the A380 is just outdated. Basically all features added to Aerofly in the last two years now have to be implemented or tested in the A380 as well.

We have not thrown away our A380 and we agree that it would be a great addition to the fleet but it still needs quite a bit of work to get up to date. If or when the A380 is released for PC is not decided yet. It might still be a while unless we push the A380 through will brute force :) But we have other great plans that we want to pursue.

Aerofly can only perform at its best when it can use the hardware to its full potential and that means updating graphics card drivers every now and then or at least when you start noticing issues.

The flickering was reported some time ago, that is correct. As we mentioned before there are multiple reasons for why flickering occurs and I'm not going to go into detail again but I think you should be able to find it in the forums still.

Some potential flickering may be caused by the newly added buildings at great distance, those are new to the scenery which may be why you haven't seen that before. Basically the graphics card struggles to put the edge of each building into a precise pixel location and due to the current limitation to floating numbers the results aren't very accurate at great distances. So the pixels flicker back and forth and buildings are sometimes closer and sometimes further away. We really have to get creative to make that hardware issue go away, or just wait for double floating point precision which would make it a lot easier.

If you are using a render scale factor in VR I think (not sure) the far distant textures may have too much resolution and mip-mapping isn't as effective as it could be but that is just a thesis. I don't have any VR goggles to test it. Maybe Torsten knows more?

I think this forum here is very alive, there is a large number of posts I read through every day and there are a lot of people experimenting with the SDK and creating their own scenery... Of course a few more screenshots wouldn't hurt and I would like to see more people exploring the sim or giving each other ideas for some flying challenges like trying to land in Aspen (far north west at the coast) or trying to land at Monument valley with an F18 but from over the hill...

Hi Steve,

of course you can try that with the wheel brakes but this could lead to unexpected results. If you increase the brake strength you'l just stop the wheels from spinning but then you probably won't be able to stop the aircraft in any short distance.

I'd just wait for us to do a catch hook.

It's not a bad idea just not the time for it just yet. Definitely something we have thought of :)

We've had this request a couple of times in the past and it sure would be nice to have. But as far as I'm aware the plans are not to shake the cameras, like in the other sims, but to shake the aircraft itself which is much more realistic. For that we need to do a few changes to the physics engine and at the moment this has to wait.

so if I got it right, you'r saying that third party app can not connect to Aerofly unless IPACS will allow it?

He is saying that we're not programming like the other sims which gives us better control over performance so we aren't using out of the box libraries for these sort of things, so outside apps can't automatically connect. We can't unlock these features because they are just not implemented in our code. Its not a matter of just allowing it.

Aerofly has such a great performance because we do things our own way, even if that means that we have to re-program features that are already present in other sims automatically.