Michael and Martin,
I had the Laptop running during last night and this day to produce a new data set. ZL16, AFS levels 9, 11, 12 and 13, this time based on Google. Before trying it, I cleaned up all remnants from earlier trials, removed the link to the extra folder I had and copied the files from the 6 tiles directly into
C:\Users\(profile)\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\images
I just completed a flight in the A320 in the area, and contrary to former experience didn't observe any patches so far .
There are several explanations: (i) The difference is between bing and google, which I doubt, (ii) I had some stray files from earlier (maybe much earlier) experiments which were blended in. (iii) It's indeed the TMC entry. I had this one set to 0.01 now by changing the number format on the laptop (which I can't do on the main machine permanently because I need it for work.)
Quite happy so far. I'll expand the area this way and see what happens when I'll be back.
Thanks for your research, Michael (II)