Posts by Overloaded

The weather in mobile 2019 looks nicer, the clouds seem more convincing and darker. It makes up for the super easy mode of the mobile R-22. I'd prefer that a virtual copilot kept chatting to ATC and kept his/her unwanted hands off the controls.

ATC is in demand from the game/multiplay side and to be fair IPACS probably see them as a bigger market than the authentic flight simulation side. I'd give the ATC side what they want, compulsory perfectly filled in flight plans to use the larger planes and a one hour wait for Eurocontrol to proceess them, might put them off the bliss of a sequence of heading and height instructions.

I tried the Dash 8 and on a go around found myself getting near the end of the runway with low acceleration, the spoilers had remained up with full power applied. A throttle wiggle brought them in.

I had a normal flight and tried the ‘copilot’ for a while and tried to learn what it was all about.

After trying a sort of jammed green throttle heading hold and rate of climb hold mode I touched the mysterious downhill plane symbol while roughly lined up on finals. The ‘copilot’ disconnected and the plane became uncontrollable, unable to lower the nose I realised the trim indicator was full travel nose up with no working trim lever.

Copilot back on ! and rate of climb mode, nose down button, held down brought the trim indicator up to a desired central position. The plane was stalled at very low speed, very near the ground. Copilot off again allowed a normal control recovery.

This is a great simulation of a very dangerous aeroplane. The ‘copilot’ needs retraining.

The ‘stupid copilot’ trim is present occasionaly in the FS2 B-737 but the idiot only trims back less than half way and the plane remains controllable. Often seen on a go around.

Calling the sim auto-flight ‘copilot’ is very hard on actual copilots.

Do the Twist .... and tilt for me. The touch slider is good if you are on a moving vehicle as the jolting inertia and impulses drive the tilt mode accelerometers crazy.

It is a hard time to start mobile Ray, I could not do without beautiful Switzerland so I keep it on iOS FS2 ...... and PC and iOS original FS, and I have it on PC FS2 and it is also on Android Aerofly AF1 on my phone and another fast tablet8).

Don’t worry about my interfering copilot Jan, I poked him in the eyes!

Torsten will we get a profi mode later for the R-22? I had Aerofly 2019 with me earlier this afternoon and I didn’t show it to an experienced (R-22) helicopter pilot as easy mode is not going to impress people ‘in the know’.

I used Rz for the pedals axis. Try calibrating in windows first.

Before you fly, look down at your sim cockpit display virtual pedals and use the sim rudder trim to set the left virtual pedal a full virtual pedal bar width forward of the right pedal. Setup your trim in the normal control menu. I have num‘ 4 and 6 assigned for rudder trim. You can have the helicopter cyclic ballance force totally neutral as you reach lift off collective power.

You can adjust trim to avoid having your pedals clicking in and out of any central detent position.

If you do not setup the pedals you will have the same problem with any new ones.

Try post #39

Learning how to fly the R22

The scenery looks worse to me but the planes, the cockpit lighting and the atmospheric weather effects are good. Super detailed airports bore me to death anyway. I care about the view inside the cockpit not an outside jetway.

Anyone know how to set heading and altitude bugs for manual flight without the stupid co-pilot steering the plane all over the place?

I have just got iOS 12 and have no red lights in FS2.

iPad pro 9.7” 190+ GB free storage.

I tried tilt and finger touch sim plane flight control,

frame rates limited and unlimited,

MB-339 and A320,

Lausanne, Bern, Zurich and San Diego,

manual navigation and a navigation feature route on manual control,

Day, light cloud and light low visibility - and clear sky unlimited visibility.

If anything the scenery looks more PC like than before.

Thank You for becoming involved here Torsten and Jan. I'm sure that if you look at FS2 and iOS 12 it will be fixed. I'll take iOS 12 for Aerofly 2019 and wait for the FS2 fix.

Tablet storage has increased enormously since mobile FS over 5 years ago so I will take any 2019 scenery add-ons that are made available.

The Swiss scenery is still very popular and would be a colourful ballance to the California desert. I have over 190GB of free storage on my iPad pro and would also enthusiastically embrace much of the beautiful New York area scenery.

LATER

I got iOS 12 and 2019. There were no graphics issues with Aerofly FS2 with my iPad pro 9.7”. Aerofly 2019 seems OK, the R-22 seems to have no profi mode, it is really very, very easy to fly.

Any information on Android Jeff?

Android 8 'Oreo' has been out for well over a year now and the manufacturers have had time to upgrade their fastest devices. I'd love to put 2019 on my Android 8.1.0 Google Pixel C tablet. Android was something of a standardisation headache in the past.

I'm a little bit wary about upgrading my iPad pro to iOS 12 as there has been no news on whether the FS2/iOS 12 graphics problem can be fixed.

Later

iOS 12 caused no problems. FS2 was fine.

I have an old Saitek joystick and there is no Windows 10 compatible software available on the Saitek website. It has basic controlls in the windows device software but no way to adjust sensitivity curves or other advanced functions such as switching modes. Independent joystick adjustment software does not seem to be effective or reliable.

This wll affect me if I 'upgrade' my iOS 10 to 12 to get the new 2019 mobile Aerofly. It is understandable that mobile work has been directed elsewhere but will this problem be fixed eventually and will FS2 get support for a reasonable length of time in the future?

Fellow users, does this iOS 12 red light thing only show up at airports and on the ground?

iOS 11 or later means bye-bye to all my iOS 10 based 32bit software!

Are all the iOS 12 graphics bugs in FS2 mobile fixed yet? I could not do without FS2 mobile Switzerland, will there be a 2019 Swiss scenery later?

Thanks everyone in IPACS, no one saw this coming. I really hope this is a huge success.

Inspiring work Thomas and Phil. How do you prevent the arm from dropping? Do you use friction, a counterweight, springs/bungee cord or other means?

As an alternative to using the boat fitting tube grip for the centre of the rotating hinge, a fire door hinge might work. They have a smooth ball bearing motion and the screw hole fittings would make fitting an arm to a base quite simple, a gap separated pair of them would be very resistant to lateral wobble not that it would be very important.

Are you using the newest iOS 12? There were some FS2 issues about iOS 12 recently, you might be the first Switzerland buyer since 12 came out?

I am sticking with iOS 10.

Have you tried to remove FS2 completely and load in scenery before aircraft? I loaded up a new iPad about 18 months ago but I can't remember how it went. I notice that Switzerland is not listed in the current app store entry.

There is a help form in the support page in the FS2 app store entry. Things are really dead in this forum section.

I had old pre USB Thrustmaster gameport pedals and a rockfire gameport to USB adapter but hadn't bothered connecting it up as rudder pedals are just foot rests for 99% of the time when flying aeroplanes. The twist grip rudder on my joystick was adequate for kicking off the crab angle at the last second when landing with a nice cross wind but for the past couple of weeks it has been tiring and even 'destructive' when trying to get to grips with the R-22 (there IS a pun).

Using profi mode the twist grip rudder needed continuous significant muscle power adjustments to ballance out collective movements and even with frequent trimming the force needed to overcome the twist rudder's spring totally ruined any delicacy in feeding in cyclic control.

I have spent several pleasant hours with the pedals connected and it has been like trying the R-22 out again from the very beginning, though a blend of delight and exasperation, due to the real burden of having to unlearn the twist rudder which still seems automatic and natural in my many semi-out of control hairy moments.

Using the pedals is warmly comfortable, convincing and natural, an old friend just as useful with the fixed wing aircraft. I did a nice 'blind throttle pull' in the Baron twin and enjoyed a engine failure practice asymmetric power procedure and landing, my first for very many years. The R-22 cyclic control was transformed by the absence of the brute force grip and the R-22 is so much more controllable with just delicate thumb and finger tips on the cyclic.

Pedals are very expensive but a USB to gameport adapter is cheap and many of us have old gameport controls gathering dust somewhere, if you have gameport pedals it is well worth incorporating them into a modern set-up.

I am having a ball at no extra cost, it is great fun but I wish I had tried this arrangement earlier as unlearning the twist grip muscle memory is not easy. Can I suggest getting away from twist grips if at all possible, as early as possible.

The Rockfire adapter is common second hand, its mode 2 (out of 4 modes) worked well in Windows 10 and it appeared as a second colour (orange) control axis in the FS2 control settings. In Windows calibration it showed about 100 levels instead of a usual 255 but it seems perfectly fine in FS2.

It is my favourite scenery but it is old and could do with an update, surely the cross-border textures could be improved especially the southern side of Lake Geneva. It screams out for bridges, look at the bent 'tapes' crossing the steeply banked Aare river winding through the city of Bern which is also far too 2D ugly, Bern completely vanishes if trees are displayed.

I find Switzerland delightful, much more pleasing than the desert of the western U.S.